Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Open Primary?  (Read 4806 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Open Primary?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »

Have been looking at BDL,s but for now I'm stuck on the Performance Machine! always been happy with the Quality of Performance Machine in the past and that open primary sure is sweet!

The PM unit is made by BDL. Same inside parts with a better looking faceplate.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

Will look for more later, but this give you an idea. Hope the mill work shows up
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

Will look for more later, but this give you an idea. Hope the mill work shows up
Looks Great! an awsome looking Bike!
Is that a K & P oil filter i see on her?
Thanks,
Charlie
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:35:51 AM »

The PM unit is made by BDL. Same inside parts with a better looking faceplate.
I didn't know it was made by BDL but it does make good sense!
I do love the faceplate and it will blend in perfect with the mods Ive started doing!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

bikerdad

• CVO1: '11 FLRTUSE Frosted Ivory/Antique Gold
    • CVO2: 02 FLSTC Black w/ old school pinstripes
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »

I have had an open primary (BDL) on my 02 FLSTC since 06 and love it! It is noisier but I wouldn't change it. With that being said I noticed that it didn't seem to like running at lower RPMs to much after the change, possibly because the compensator sprocket is gone. lots of difference in weight between the two sprockets. Just make sure you keep it over 2500 and you'll never notice it.
Fulsac X-pipe, V&H High Output slip-ons, SEPST, Progressive Mono Tubes / 944's & Wild 1 502's

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 11:31:57 PM »

I have had an open primary (BDL) on my 02 FLSTC since 06 and love it! It is noisier but I wouldn't change it. With that being said I noticed that it didn't seem to like running at lower RPMs to much after the change, possibly because the compensator sprocket is gone. lots of difference in weight between the two sprockets. Just make sure you keep it over 2500 and you'll never notice it.
Hi Bikerdad,
Thanks for your repply,
I have decided to go for the Performance Machine Chrome Open Primary (the one i posted the photo of in my ealier post) but I'm going to get it fitted in December! my wife wants to buy it for me for Christmas and who am i to say no!!
Cheers,
Charlie

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »

So Charlie how goes the project? If you don't mind how much for the parts and how much to install? I'm getting tired of this compensator crap. On my third on now and I don't abuse the bike> The one that one her now is the SE new version and it sounds like crap now. What to do!

BigLew

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »

the question i have is does the rubber primary belt provide enough protection to the crank? the compensator basically is to protect the crank. will a belt make it all last longer? or shorter? not worried about the noise.

chain in a case should last a very long time - but....

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »

Good question but Inot really worried about the chain. That's never been the issue with me. But if the tentioner or the compensator come apart as they do it can get expensive in a hurry. Come to think of it everytime I've had them check it because of the noise it got expensive!

BigLew

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »

So Charlie how goes the project? If you don't mind how much for the parts and how much to install? I'm getting tired of this compensator crap. On my third on now and I don't abuse the bike> The one that one her now is the SE new version and it sounds like crap now. What to do!

BigLew
Hi Biglew,
All going well, I have decided to go with the Performance Machine version, the one i showed in the photo earlier in the post! it is expensive but i see it as an enhancement in performance and not just looks, so prepared to pay the $$$ (do love the looks also!)
The primary is running at about $2700 and the HD dealer is saying about $350 for fitting, (we pay $50 per hour labour) i know its a lot of money but it does have a lot of pluses and in my opinion, no downside! (i even look the noise! think it adds character!)
Going to get it on for Christmas! present from the wife  :2vrolijk_21:
Put a nice cam cover on at the weekend! and again, i think practical as well as looking cool!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:44:15 PM by Charlie »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »

Hi Biglew,
All going well, I have decided to go with the Performance Machine version, the one i showed in the photo earlier in the post! it is expensive but i see it as an enhancement in performance and not just looks, so prepared to pay the $$$ (do love the looks also!)
The primary is running at about $2700 and the HD dealer is saying about $350 for fitting, (we pay $50 per hour labour) i know its a lot of money but it does have a lot of pluses and in my opinion, no downside! (i even look the noise! think it adds character!)
Going to get it on for Christmas! present from the wife  :2vrolijk_21:
Put a nice cam cover on at the weekend! and again, i think practical as well as looking cool!

350 @ 50 an hour is 7 hours labor :vrolijk27: it is a 2-3 hour job max!!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 12:58:17 AM »

Sorry! my mistake, they said 5 hrs, $250
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.