Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What the deal with the trim ring on the gas cap?  (Read 1129 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
What the deal with the trim ring on the gas cap?
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »

I noticed my gas cap trim ring doesn't sit perfectly on the tank.  It looks level to the eye, but when you get really close, the ring is not making contact all of the way around.  I noticed like 1/8 of it that is not sticking.  I ordered another trim ring because I'm picky, so I looked at it and there is barley any thing that holds it on.  You'd think Harley can come up with a better adhesion method.  Maybe there is better double sided tape out there.   I'm just going to leave alone, but having a spare is a good thing.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: What the deal with the trim ring on the gas cap?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »

I had the same problem on my sg.   Gotta keep rotating it till you find that certain spot.  So that it sits just right on the tank.   I lined it up with some masking tank.  One strip on each.   Then I users a dab of gorilla glue.   Seems like the 2 sided tape doesn't hold.  Mine was falling off within a week or so when I got my bike.  No issues since.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »

+1.  I installed  this fuel cap on my '08 FXSTC, and i went round and round with it.

One thing I learned for sure.  when fueling, you want to ensure the nozzle does not make contact with the trim ring....takes some practice, but I found that was the single best thing I could do to prevent the ring from coming loose and falling off.

Once I figured that out, I never had an issue with the ring on my FXSTC coming off, and my CVO Breakout has been fine so far....

And yes as someone else mentioned, it does take some work to turn the ring before attaching it to find exactly where it sits flat all the way around on the tank.  It's a shame the factory guys did not take the time to do that on yours.  Luckily, mine is completely flush all the way around...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »

I have a replacement one, but I don't think I'm going to take this one off until/if it gets worse.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.