Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacement tires...  (Read 3693 times)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
Replacement tires...
« on: October 01, 2006, 09:20:05 PM »

Just wondering if anyone out there uses something besides the OEM tires after they wear.
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

CLKKELLEY

• Full CVO Member
Re: Replacement tires...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »

DO A SEARCH!!

Dunlop Elite 3

Metzeler 880

Avon

etc. etc. etc.!!

USE THOSE SEARCH OPTIONS, NEWBIES!!! :) :) :) :) :)
PROUD TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF THE CVO FAMILY!!  HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS IS TILL DEAD!!

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 09:38:43 PM »

Hey tommyo,

That is a lengthy subject and everyone has an opinion.  Do a search but be prepared to read a lot and learn a little.  I use the Dunlops and like them a lot, others like a few others.  I don't think there is a wrong answer.

And we all were newbies once, be NOT ashamed and WELCOME!!! 8-)

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »

I have run Dunlops and Metzlers and Avons on other bikes. Dunlops good all around, Metzlers and Avons better handlers on the twisties, because of softer compound - thus wear much quicker. Dunlop tends to be the best in the rain I'd say, but that is subjective - as is all of this info. That is my point, none of the three blows the rest away on these "cruiser" bikes. On a canyon carving Hayabusa - different story, but thats not what were talkin about. Got a bud runnin Kenda's now - half the price of Dunlops and so far so good. My main point is there all pretty good, yet you will read reviews by joe rider swearing by one over the other. Remember, if he came off Metzlers and tried Avons and they were WAAAYYY better - remember the Metzlers were worn - the Avons new - as is the case in many of these Joe Rider reviews - not a fair comparison. Just get a good deal on your choice (including balancing) - break them in safely - then enjoy !
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 11:27:10 PM »

Hey ceej, What would be the correct proceedure to break them in safely???? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Never heard that one before. Thanks and God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 11:54:55 PM »

Rule of thumb is a couple hundred easy dry pavement miles, get in some good curves just be easy doin it. Believe it or not your tires come with a coating of lubricant applied at the factory to aid in breaking them from the mold. It takes a few miles and some heat to scrub the surface layer with the lubricants off and get to the good stuff!! Also, you need to get used to the tires behavior, if you had been running old evenly worn tires, they may have been real sticky on the dry stuff, whereas your new deep tread tires will be sticky but have a lil flex due to those deep treads, not much granted but slight. Also, when your new tires are mounted, shops often use a liquid lubricant to get them on the rim. It takes, again, a hundred miles or so and heat to get rid of that moisture. Pick up your bike with fresh rubber and hit it and you could slip the rim within the tire, you could break the bead and lose the air or worse.

Just a few things, nit pickin details I know, but having been thru Navy Sub Nuclear Engineering School, I had ATD drilled into my head over and over and over and over - ATD - Attention To Details. - Pride Runs Deep - Huge Nuclear fleet - great saftey record - could happen in the civiallian world too - Nuclear Power is green - damn the torpedos - damn the enviromentalists - build the reactors and screw mideast oil.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 02:56:38 AM »

Hey ceej, What would be the correct proceedure to break them in safely???? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Never heard that one before. Thanks and God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

JR, I think he's talking about when you get tires changed at a dealership.......they always say "break them in safely.......they have a coating on them that makes them a little slippery."   If you've ever dumped the cluth on a bike with a new back tire.....you know how easy it is to get that tire to break loose.  The same as turning a corner and twisting the throttle to the stop at the same time......you'll feel that back end slide over......I do!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 07:28:48 PM »

someone needs some of this [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:58:49 PM »

JR, I think he's talking about when you get tires changed at a dealership.......they always say "break them in safely.......they have a coating on them that makes them a little slippery."
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 08:52:45 PM »

Rule of thumb is a couple hundred easy dry pavement miles, get in some good curves just be easy doin it. Believe it or not your tires come with a coating of lubricant applied at the factory to aid in breaking them from the mold. It takes a few miles and some heat to scrub the surface layer with the lubricants off and get to the good stuff!! Also, you need to get used to the tires behavior, if you had been running old evenly worn tires, they may have been real sticky on the dry stuff, whereas your new deep tread tires will be sticky but have a lil flex due to those deep treads, not much granted but slight. Also, when your new tires are mounted, shops often use a liquid lubricant to get them on the rim. It takes, again, a hundred miles or so and heat to get rid of that moisture. Pick up your bike with fresh rubber and hit it and you could slip the rim within the tire, you could break the bead and lose the air or worse.

Just a few things, nit pickin details I know, but having been thru Navy Sub Nuclear Engineering School, I had ATD drilled into my head over and over and over and over - ATD - Attention To Details. - Pride Runs Deep - Huge Nuclear fleet - great saftey record - could happen in the civiallian world too - Nuclear Power is green - damn the torpedos - damn the enviromentalists - build the reactors and [highlight]screw mideast oil[/highlight].

Good info, ceej... thanks!  And I second the oil comment.
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:38:25 AM »

You don't even have to twist the throttle much.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.