Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken Drive Belt  (Read 12967 times)

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
Broken Drive Belt
« on: October 08, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »

Last weekend I entered my Convertible in a local all Harley drag race event. I made one practice pass then went to my pits to take off the windshield, saddle bags, back seat and back rest. Went back up to make a "real" pass and come off the line and the belt broke.
Does anyone know if there is a Performance version belt? Maybe A Screamin Eagle belt? I don't want to switch to chain drive but I would like to go back to the drag strip again without worrying about the belt.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: Broken Drive Belt
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »

Did you check the belt for proper tension and look her over prior to making your run?  It should hold up to numerous runs if everything is in good working order and it's not to old or have excessive mileage.  I do know of a guy up my way with a built up 117" Street Glide that went through 3 belts in short order before he went to a high performance chain set up.  He broke his belts drag racing at every opportunity he had.  Last I heard he replaced about everything in the primary and was working through his transmission.  I like to drop the hammer every once in awhile, but one broken belt, a few clutch hubs and a high crank run out led to a new 124" motor and a change in riding habits.  I hate those long walks when you are dressed for riding.  As far as I know many people have tried to locate superior belts with nothing to show for their effort.   What kind of HP numbers are you running?   My personal opinion when drag racing is it is a hit or miss as far as parts are concerned.  As much fun as it is I can't afford the cost to keep up with the repairs.  I hope you find your answer.   

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:23:30 AM »

Stock 110 with the addition of Rinehart Crossbacks and a SE Race tuner. I have 2000 miles on the bike so I would assume the belt was as new. The first thing my Harley Tech buddy asked was did I have it adjusted properly. Since I had just done the 1K service 1,000 miles ago I thought it was fine but honestly did not check it. The cost of the parts to fix it so far is over $300 with stock parts. No one else broke at the Drags except me. I want to do it again but not if im gonna break something.
I heard Gates may make a High performance belt.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »

Drive belts have been discussed at length on this forum as well as others for the same reason you are having.  As far as I know Gates makes the belts for Harley.  Numerous people have tried to find if they are made to a better spec than the standard Gates or are they just a Gates belt manufactured in a size to fit our bikes.  I do not know of a better belt for our bikes.   If your bike is stock I would have expected it to hold up unless it was damaged and you could not see it or it was not adjusted properly.  Either way it is an expensive proposition just to have a belt replaced.  Many companies saw fit to put the belt on the other side making it a very simple process to change belts.  Just remember if you do a number of hole shots either at the track or out on your own that will be the same bike & belt you will use to take those enjoyable long rides.  I learned the hard way, either way you will positively shorten the life of the belt and other driveline components required to launch a heavy bike from a dead stop to full acceleration on an antiquated design.  I know it's fun but sometimes we have to make decisions that we don't like.  If you have two bikes you can dedicate one for such activities.  I got that second bike but I used another brand that held up nicely.  Their are a number of people on this site that may have better advice for you.  Sorry I don't have better news for you.   

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:45:57 PM »

I have a S&S 1.125" rear belt with over 30,000 miles. I am pretty hard on at times. Bike has S&S V111"
116 HP@5600 RPM and 122 ft.lbs. torgue @3800 RPM Bike is defeated and a O.D. transmission. Weighs 578 lbs. No problem with belt. A fun Ride!

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »

Darn spell check on phone. Defeatd was not what I wanted to type.    Re geared

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »

Harley belt is still the strongest with proper belt deflection

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »

I launch at 10K off of a two stage limiter on a belt!

Proper adjustment is a must.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »

If it holds up to Puzzled set up you should be all set.  Just follow the advice on the deflection. 

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »

So I guess what we are saying here is I must have done something wrong or my Belt was not adjusted correctly. And Im also getting I don't need to be afraid of running a belt at the Drag strip if it's set up right. Thanks guys.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »

So I guess what we are saying here is I must have done something wrong or my Belt was not adjusted correctly. And Im also getting I don't need to be afraid of running a belt at the Drag strip if it's set up right. Thanks guys.

One other option.  Damage.  I've never had a belt on a street bike "just fail."  Every time precipitated by stone or other road debris damage.  Nursed one back from St. Louis area (about 250 miles) with a hunk out of it last time had an issue couple years ago.  We don't always know when they get dinged either.  At least not until they "suddenly" come apart.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 09:45:21 PM »

my belt broke just shortly after my build /dyno
 heading to work one morning ...I have a  certain off ramp from highway that has a slight incline that I love to hammer thru  the gears etc ...  the belt broke   i knew in the past i didn't  keep up with the belt maintenance
cause i remember the belt was way loose  compare what the book spec called for ..now i check the belt with every oil change and adjust as needed .btw i have  30 tooth sprocket and drag belt ... as of now i have over 10,000 miles
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.