Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone make a 2-1-2 crossover header for a 2005 touring?  (Read 2793 times)

Sundog1258

• Full CVO Member

Does anyone make a 2-1-2 crossover header for a 2005 touring?  One that will bolt up with no modifications.  Other than S&S/Kromewerks? 

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Does anyone make a 2-1-2 crossover header for a 2005 touring?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »

Not that I know of. I installed an 09 pan and used a V&H power chamber pipe. Not easy and you better know what you're doing as you have to drill and tap holes in the back of the tranmission case for the cross over pipe mount. Not insurmountable but daunting none the less.

Dogbone44mag

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »

S&S/Khrome Werks Power duels fit early bikes. I have a set on my '06. Comes with a bracket that bolts to the tranny. Khrome Werks P/N 200600B.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:30:44 AM by Dogbone44mag »

Sundog1258

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:13 AM »

S&S/Khrome Werks Power duels fit early bikes. I have a set on my '06. Comes with a bracket that bolts to the tranny. Khrome Werks P/N 200600B.

Is your bike lowered? Have you had them drag? That setup may be the only choice right now, just looking for other options.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »

I had been looking for something myself not long ago for my 2005 SEEG, and the only thing I've found is the S&S pipe you referenced originally or the conversion where you have to change out the oil pan and other things to make a system for the '09 and later models fit.  That approach doesn't interest me and IMHO isn't very cost effective.  I have a center stand on the bike and have absolutely no intention of giving that up, and just looking at the S&S pipe it would seem to interfere with the use of the center stand.  I've never gotten around to contacting them and asking if it's compatible; perhaps I'll do that this spring and see what they say. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:52:32 AM »

I did it last year on my 06 SE.  I didn't think it was a big deal at all.
I swapped the oil pan for an 09 pan, of course it's black but who looks underneath.
Drilling and taping the holes was no big deal, drill and tap, there is nothing in the way.
I used the Fullsac "D" Pipe and am running the SE Muffler Cans with 2.25" Fullsac Baffles.
The only issue I had was I had to space out the bracket that holds the headpipe at the transmission and I had to cut 3/4" off the left side headpipe to allow the muffler to go on far enough.

This setup replaced my Yuill Bros Elite D true dual system.

Pictures in the next few posts
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:57:50 AM by Sklywag »
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »

Another
Bill (Sklywag)

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »

Another
Bill (Sklywag)

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »

Another
Bill (Sklywag)

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »

Another
Bill (Sklywag)

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:12 AM »

here's some info from an old thread of mine I posted on another forum several years ago:
I've been running '07-'09 Cobra True Duals (w/ o2 bungs) on my '02 RK since I added the Zipper's ECM with Auto-tune two years ago.  I wanted to join the cylinders together, but I also wanted to keep my dual mufflers.  The factory bagger pipe with the rear "Y" pipe plays havoc on the o2 sensors, plus they tend to break at the Y connection so I decided that wasn't an option.  There's been a few threads over the last year or so where fellows converted to the '09 head pipe which is a 2-1-2 set up, so I decided to try the conversion on on my 5 speed model as well.  For this to work on '08 and earlier bikes, the oil pan needs replaced with the new pan that has a curved cut out in the rear.   The pan part number for black is: 62489-99A

The '09 is a one year unique pipe, the '08's had the rear Y and the '10's has the smaller o2 bungs that are further down the head pipe.  I found this one last year in Ebay.  This one is the 49 state model, which is catless.  The '09 system has a shared head pipe that comes into a large collector with a crossover pipe running behind the oil pan.  I'm sure it's not as efficient as a 2 into 1, but it ain't as ugly on a Classic either.   :wink:

The '06 and earlier bagger models need to have the side head pipe bracket just below the trannie side cover shimmed to account for the exhaust sticking mounting tabs of the '07 and up bagger pipes:

I used 1/4" thick aluminum flat stock that I picked up at Tractor Supply. I doubled it up, to account for the 1/2" of shim needed.  I've been using this shim set up for the last two seasons, on my '07 head pipe conversion on my '02. 

I had an '07 front pipe transmission side cover bracket on the bike with my '07 true duals, but it it wouldn't work for the '09 pipe.  The '07 bracket is on the left, and the '09 bracket is on the right:

The '07 bracket stocks out further and has limited adjustment, compared to the '09 bracket.  The part number for the '09 bracket is: 65678-09

I don't have a lift, so I use a jack, creeper, and a small stool to work on the bikes.  I unbolted the pan first, then removed the tire to pull the pan out:

I got lucky, the cross brace on my bike was factory flat (not dented up).  Removing the pan was easy, all I had to do was compress the back spring with a screw driver and until that got past the inside lip of the top of the trannie housing.

The tricky part of the conversion is the top of the pan mount has to be drilled to accept the rear crossover bracket.  It's pretty thin:

it gets drilled and tapped for two 1/4"-20 bolts.  I used a #7 bit and used a couple of 3/16" lock collars that I drilled out as drill stops:

I set the depth just short of passing through (drill depth is set about 0.330").  As thin as the material is on the back of the top mount is for the trannie pan, I would suggest that anyone doing this verify their own drill depth.  Afterall, this is a cast aluminum fixture, so I would think thicknesses can vary.

I did most of the conversion myself, but Saturday evening a buddy of mine stopped over and gave a hand.  I was going to haul the bike down to Sonny S's place since his shop is better equipped than mine, but once I started into I decided to just keep going.  It really wasn't all that hard, just time consuming. 

We based the height of the crossover mount on where it was at with the header pipe, crossover and mufflers installed.  It was almost flush with the top of the trannie housing.  We then split the dual holes on either side of the center oil pan bolt.

and then tapped them out:

We started the holes with a 1/4"-20 starter tap, and then finished them with a bottoming tap.  The threads aren't very deep, so I wanted to make sure I had as many threads as I could. 

I installed the bolts in the pan that weren't blocked by the jack, snugged them, but only torqued the rear pan bolts (once the crossover pipe was removed for pan installation).  Here's what the new oil pan and crossover bolted in place:

The '09 and up bikes call for an 11/16" bolt, which is what I ordered.  That was too long based on my thread depth, so I had to install 4 washers on each bolt.  I think 1/2" would have been better, but I didn't see BVhogs post about that until after I already had these bolts.   :teeth:

once the crossover pipe and oil pan was taken care of, the rear tire was reinstalled:

after the jack was removed, I torqued the oil pan bolts down. 

the crossover exit looks like this on the primary side:

I was worried about the transition under the belt guard, but there appears to be plenty of room.  I'm actually running an '04 belt guard though (did a narrow pulley conversion last year).   

when I was done, my '02 RK now looks like a stock '09 RK:

If I was to do it over again, I would weld up a connection system rather than drill and tap the trans housing.

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.