Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: DD7's 1st ride  (Read 14559 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
DD7's 1st ride
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »

Weather finally broke enough today that I went and picked up my bike after the install of the DD7. When I say the weather broke that was a mistake on my part. 54 degrees here at the house, lets go get the bike....Yahoo. Well 60 miles later and a temperature drop to 36 degrees thanks to the next cold front I am straddle of my bike. I will tell you that I run a DD6 on a 06 Street Glide and would have told you that it was the best tranny made. After 60 miles and chattering teeth I am thinking I may have found the next best tranny made. First thing I noticed when I dropped into 1st was there was no CLUNK.... so not sure that I actually was in gear I put it back in neutral and tried 1st again. Still no CLUNK, but this time I am sure it is in first. I am running a junk cam that is about 4 sizes to big for a 110...SE260...and take off has always been less than smooth. Wow the lower 1st gear really smoothed things up! The rest of the gears were as smooth as 1st and with the closer ratios between gears made it very easy to keep the bike in the power band. 7th matches 6th in the HD tranny and I didn't see any difference in my RPM at 75, and the cruise worked at highway speeds. I didn't check cruise in any gear but 7th but will the next time I think the weather breaks.... So far very impressed.

David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
Re: DD7's 1st ride
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:20 AM »

Sounds good keep us tuned. Roughly what was the cost to get it done.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:50:33 AM »

FYI- Check your cruise. Sometimes you lose cruise every gear but 7th. Fixable though.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:24:07 AM »

Donald, I caught the tranny on sale on Bakers Black Friday sale for like $2200 and it has set on top of my toolbox since then wait to decide if I wanted to install or have dealer do it. After pricing the tools I didn't have and to keep Baker warranty active I took it to my dealer. Install at dealer was right at $700. That should get you pretty close on price. So far I think it will save me the cost of a cam and tune

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »

plk 
I had been told that cruise might be lost in all gears but 7th and honestly never thought to try it yesterday due to my teeth chattering. Looks like maybe Thursday we will get back above freezing and I can get out and see if it works or not. If not can I contact you on fixes?
David

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »

David,
There is a software load that allows the cruise to work in 5th and 6th (maybe 4th) also. and gets the 6th gear light working in 7th. If Baker doesn't help you with that, try Oasis Cycles http://www.oasiscycles.com/ they do tons of Baker stuff.
That DD7 with the lower 1st is the deal!!! No more slipping the clutch to get started, and a gear for every situation :bananarock:

I cain't wait...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »

Thinking you will love it Ed! That download may have been done then because I did notice the 6th gear light was on while in 7th. I sure am hoping your build goes smooth and quickly!!! Do you have any sort of date when you are thinking it will be wrapped up?

David

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »

Thinking you will love it Ed! That download may have been done then because I did notice the 6th gear light was on while in 7th. I sure am hoping your build goes smooth and quickly!!! Do you have any sort of date when you are thinking it will be wrapped up?

David

Have you been able to check if the cruise works in other gears besides 7th?

'Rode my friend's Skunk w/ the DD7 last year, and wanted one ever since, just had to wait for the Planets to align with the holiday sale and the labor$ ;D

It's all coming together pretty well now, the heads are the longest lead time (all the head guys that I spoke with are about 3-4 weeks out), hopefully we'll be rollin' by the end of this month :bananarock:

Ed
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »

Ed the trip home Friday was the only chance that I have had to ride it and from the looks outside and the forecast you may very well have yours back together before I can get mine out of the garage again. Taken a couple hours ago.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »

Why wouldn't cruise work in all the gears?

I have a DD6, 05 bike and the cruise works as long as I am doing at least 25+ mph.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »

I had the DD6 in a 06 SG and best I can remember it would set in any gear also. I'll check the 7 when the weather breaks and I can get out. Honestly not sure that it is something that would bother me one way or another. Something that has changed since the DD6 and I guess the early DD7's is the new trannys no longer need the speedo recal box

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »

Does anyone know of a 20% dealer you can buy the DD7 through?

For those that have done the install yourself:  What special tools are required for the install and how difficult is it?

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »

Cowboy, not sure on a 20% dealer as I bought from Baker during there Black Friday sale. As for tools I don't know how to post it or I would but there is a PDF file on Bakers web site that has a full list of tools and install instructions.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »

Cowboy, not sure on a 20% dealer as I bought from Baker during there Black Friday sale. As for tools I don't know how to post it or I would but there is a PDF file on Bakers web site that has a full list of tools and install instructions.

Thanks,  I'll check out their website.  It sure looks like it would be a big improvement.  Sounds much better than going with a 30T sprocket.  

I wonder if a guy could get it through Rebecca at Tri County?

Cowboy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:27:54 PM by CowboyBagger »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 01:53:15 AM »

FYI- Check your cruise. Sometimes you lose cruise every gear but 7th. Fixable though.

I don't know how to fix it, but Baker's website says:

Fitment Note: Cruise Control will only work in 7th gear and the Red Line will be 5200 RPM with the DD7 on Throttle-By-Wire bikes equipped with stock ECM’s. No other motorcycle functions are affected in these instances. The 6th gear indicator light will come on when the DD7 is shifted into 7th on all models and all ECM’s. Aftermarket tuners such as Daytona Twin Tec and TTS-Mastertune will allow cruise to function in all gears, like stock, on Throttle-By-Wire bikes when coupled with the DD7 gearset. Dynojet can also flash your stock ECM to adjust the cruise control the cruise and red line, while still allowing the ECM to work with piggy back units like Power Commander. Any questions on this, please give our tech line a call.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:55:41 AM by DoubleCoppers »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »

Try Oasis Cycles

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »

I checked on Oasis Cycles.  If they have anything, I couldn't find it.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »

I checked on Oasis Cycles.  If they have anything, I couldn't find it.

Their website could be going through some changes right now, you might want to give them a call (601) 824-4893. Oasis is probably the largest Baker outlet in the US.

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »

Just got off the phone with Baker tech support.  DynoJet re-programs HD ECM to enable cruise control in all gears.  Left message for Patrick Daniels at DJ (800 992-4993, x 1115) to get more info.  Baker support says ECM has to be in stock flash for DJ to re-program.

Will post when I hear back from DJ.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »

Just got off the phone with Baker tech support.  DynoJet re-programs HD ECM to enable cruise control in all gears.  Left message for Patrick Daniels at DJ (800 992-4993, x 1115) to get more info.  Baker support says ECM has to be in stock flash for DJ to re-program.

Will post when I hear back from DJ.

Oasis said that it was an easy fix with my TTS.  They are somewhat negotiable on price, but not as good as the Black Friday price.

Cowboy

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

Their website could be going through some changes right now, you might want to give them a call (601) 824-4893. Oasis is probably the largest Baker outlet in the US.

Thanks, Fla, will call them for more info.

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »

Cowboy and Fla,

Steve Cole posted this on the "S&S 585 TQ/HP?" thread in Twin Cam area, so I'm re-posting it here.  Great info.

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:00:03 PM »

DoubleCoppers

You will need to change the primary Ratio in your Mastertune if its a J1850 bike. The stock setting will be 1.353 and you need to change it to ~1.430 for the DD7 to work. The people that have done this tell us that the cruise now works in 5 - 7th and some say it also works in 4th.

Steve Cole
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:30:59 PM by DoubleCoppers »

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 11:10:13 PM »

Oasis said that it's a pretty easy fix, I guess they were right.  I appreciate the information Double. 

Cowboy

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »

I had the DD6 in a 06 SG and best I can remember it would set in any gear also. I'll check the 7 when the weather breaks and I can get out. Honestly not sure that it is something that would bother me one way or another.

Something that has changed since the DD6 and I guess the early DD7's is the new trannys no longer need the speedo recal box

'Think its got something to do with the gasket (spacing) on the speedo sensor?

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07:06 PM »

That was the way I understood it talking with Baker. In the tranny kit there is a steel shim gasket that goes on the speed sensor that spaces it farther away from the gear and corrects the impulses that it picks up.

Snowyone

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »

I installed one in my Fatboy last year and it's my best mod so far.  They do have you put a double gasket on the speedo pickup.  Must be a bit larger gear in that location I'm thinking.  I got mine on a Black Friday special also and you can rent all the right tools from Baker for like $50 bucks.  It's a simple job if you're somewhat handy with tools.  Biggest job is the Primary removal.  It was a one day job for me but I have twisted a wrench or two.  My only screw up was in my starter installation after putting it all back together.  I had these two dowel pins and for the life of me couldn't figure out where they come from.  Well they were for keeping the starter in alignment and about 2500 miles later I developed a primary leak.  Was away from home of course and had to take it to a dealer.  They told me some Dumb $hit left the starter dowels out.  Hum  Anyway 1st gear is awesome and ratio between the rest of the gears are about perfect.  When you go to shift it's like it sucks itself into that next gear with so little effort.  N is easy to find.  Only thing that was a bit weird is going into 7th has a bit more resistance but I'm using it to know I'm going into hi gear. 7th shows on sixth gear light. I really like this mod incase you're wondering.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »

Maybe this weekend the snow will be gone and I can get mine out and wife and I can get a few miles on it and see what it feels like loaded.

David

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »

Cowboy and Fla,
What setting are they talkig about that has to be changed.
Thanks Chuck

Steve Cole posted this on the "S&S 585 TQ/HP?" thread in Drivetrain area, so I'm re-posting it here.  Great info.

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:00:03 PM »

DoubleCoppers

You will need to change the primary Ratio in your Mastertune if its a J1850 bike. The stock setting will be 1.353 and you need to change it to ~1.430 for the DD7 to work. The people that have done this tell us that the cruise now works in 5 - 7th and some say it also works in 4th.

Steve Cole

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »

ChuckR

I'm referring back to Steve on this, since he is Mastertune.

Once I get a couple thousand miles on the '09, I planned on riding up to Oasis and checking out their new software, and getting the DD7 dialed in as far as the cruise goes (that's if my Dealer hasn't already done it).

'Plan on running the '09 in w/a PC-V/ Auto, and saw an earlier post in this thread referencing DynoJet, so I'll give Jamie a call and get him to email a tune...  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:49:51 PM by FlaHeatWave »

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »

Found it it's under Constance
Thanks Chuck

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »

My resident PC-V / Auto guru stopped by today and explained to me that the DynoJet fix is for the Power Vision and not the PC-V

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »

My resident PC-V / Auto guru stopped by today and explained to me that the DynoJet fix is for the Power Vision and not the PC-V

after I put the DD7 in my '08 with a PC-V, I had DJ re-flash my stock ECM so the cruise control would work in all gears.  From Baker website:
"Dynojet can also flash your stock ECM to adjust the cruise control the cruise and red line, while still allowing the ECM to work with piggy back units like Power Commander. Any questions on this, please give our tech line a call.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 08:31:55 PM »

after I put the DD7 in my '08 with a PC-V, I had DJ re-flash my stock ECM so the cruise control would work in all gears.  From Baker website:
"Dynojet can also flash your stock ECM to adjust the cruise control the cruise and red line, while still allowing the ECM to work with piggy back units like Power Commander. Any questions on this, please give our tech line a call.

Where did you have to go for the DJ re-flash? Do you remember how much it cost?

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »

Where did you have to go for the DJ re-flash? Do you remember how much it cost?
ECM had to go to DJ headquarters for re-flash, but contact Baker first for the paperwork.  Don't remember cost, so it probably wasn't insane.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 11:45:21 PM »

ECM had to go to DJ headquarters for re-flash, but contact Baker first for the paperwork.  Don't remember cost, so it probably wasn't insane.

Sounds like the easiest for me will be to just ride the bike to Oasis.

Thanks for the info!

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 02:16:55 AM »

Sounds like the easiest for me will be to just ride the bike to Oasis.
Didn't realize Oasis was within riding distance of you.  Much better than sending ECM away for a week.  Let us know how and what they do.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »

I have Jamie at Fuel Moto checking in with Dyno Jet to see if there is another solution other than reflashing the ECM.  Jamie did tell me that he can get the cruise to work in all gears, but that he would have to program the Vision to limit the Rev's to a point lower than what either of us wanted.  It's still cold here anyway, so I'm in no hurry at this point.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »

I have Jamie at Fuel Moto checking in with Dyno Jet to see if there is another solution other than reflashing the ECM. Jamie did tell me that he can get the cruise to work in all gears, but that he would have to program the Vision to limit the Rev's to a point lower than what either of us wanted.  It's still cold here anyway, so I'm in no hurry at this point.
'Going to call Jamie today ~ 'Gotta' have 6k out of this motor :bananarock:
70* here, wanting the '09 back...

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »

Talked to Baker, they believe that the Vision should be able to be set up to handle the DD7 without rev limits that are in place.  Should be interesting to see what Fuel Moto / Dyno Jet comes back with.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »

Talked to Baker, they believe that the Vision should be able to be set up to handle the DD7 without rev limits that are in place.  Should be interesting to see what Fuel Moto / Dyno Jet comes back with.

Just got off of the phone w/ Jamie; He had other inquiries about the DD7 (I wonder from where? lol) he is going to wait for DynoJet to get back from Daytona to work together for a fix for the PV.

from DoubleCoppers; Didn't realize Oasis was within riding distance of you.
Everybody in the CONUS is within riding distance for me...LOL!

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »

:P :P :P :P Jamie will figure it out, he's one of the best on the business.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.