Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A&S clutch  (Read 7232 times)

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
Re: A&S clutch
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »

I have ridden plenty of 14/15 CVO bikes now and some you can feel them slip under 5 th gear moderate roll on. The bike feels like it is surging.

They were installed in the 2013 CVOs as well.  Did something else change with the 14/15 that is contributing to this or do they also slip in the 13s?

Barnett now sells a clutch kit with heavy duty springs for this clutch.  Any experience with this?  Just wondering if slippage occurring on stock to moderate builds may be fixed by this.

I would like to have a slipper clutch, unfortunately it appears MOCO may have missed the mark on this one.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 09:15:34 AM »

They were installed in the 2013 CVOs as well.  Did something else change with the 14/15 that is contributing to this or do they also slip in the 13s?

Barnett now sells a clutch kit with heavy duty springs for this clutch.  Any experience with this?  Just wondering if slippage occurring on stock to moderate builds may be fixed by this.

I would like to have a slipper clutch, unfortunately it appears MOCO may have missed the mark on this one.

The same slippage was reported on the 2013 models equipped with the A&S clutch.  It was especially evident when people had dyno tuning performed, even with Stage I bikes but especially with higher output mods.

A properly designed slipper clutch wouldn't be a bad idea, but Harley seldom spends the time and money these days to do a proper anything.  Other brands have been running properly designed slipper clutches for decades, without issues.  Where Harley screwed up was in trying to add the "assist" function to let them reduce the spring pressure and thus the lever effort.  The assist function obviously doesn't work well with the cheap and simple steep ramps built in to the system, as opposed to the moving weights used in the aftermarket system.  So you have too little spring pressure even for the stock output.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »

Do you need to remove the primary cover or just the derby cover to do most of these clutch upgrades?

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 12:35:07 AM »

The same slippage was reported on the 2013 models equipped with the A&S clutch.  It was especially evident when people had dyno tuning performed, even with Stage I bikes but especially with higher output mods.

A properly designed slipper clutch wouldn't be a bad idea, but Harley seldom spends the time and money these days to do a proper anything.  Other brands have been running properly designed slipper clutches for decades, without issues.  Where Harley screwed up was in trying to add the "assist" function to let them reduce the spring pressure and thus the lever effort.  The assist function obviously doesn't work well with the cheap and simple steep ramps built in to the system, as opposed to the moving weights used in the aftermarket system.  So you have too little spring pressure even for the stock output.

Jerry

So for the folks that have a 13 and up, does the Barnett A&S clutch kit with heavy duty springs solve this issue (for stock to moderate builds) or is the A&S clutch design fatally flawed?

shamrocking

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »

Do you need to remove the primary cover or just the derby cover to do most of these clutch upgrades?

Only the derby cover is removed, with the AIM SDR Slider VP Clutch.

http://www.aim-tamachi.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.