Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Awful Quiet!  Winter Mods?  (Read 6119 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Awful Quiet!  Winter Mods?
« on: December 30, 2006, 02:57:40 PM »

Wazzup?  Soooo, what kind of mods you are you guys working on over the winter?  I'm working on the following:

1.  Backlighting the tach.
2.  Sundowner seat and back rest
3.  DEFINITIVE5 Filter System - Looks like I'll have to trim the chin spoiler a bit?
4.  Condor Chock - Not reall a mod, but will make the oil changes easier.

Anyone else have any cool plans?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
Re: Awful Quiet!  Winter Mods?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 07:55:41 AM »

Yup, pretty quiet....

I threw on some easy mods...
Fork Brace
Custom sissy bar

Plan to either do a "hot topper" or S/S bolt exchange and also the lighted tach needle. Let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:56:20 AM by C-DEUCE04 »

kobi04sed

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:06:48 AM »

How does the tach needle modification work??

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 10:04:38 AM »

Yeah, quiet indeed. It's depressing checking in every day and not seeing any action. We gotta keep this thread alive!

C-DEUCE04 - Nice sissy bar - Did you make it yourself?  How do you like the fork brace?  Does it make any difference?  Which one did you get?  I already did the bolt covers and exchanged all of the existing ones that show, like the handle bar clamps to chrome. Looks nice!

kobi04sed - http://www.heavycycles.com/product_info.php?products_id=49

BTW - I had a heart attack that I missed this, but a mint 04SED with 8,800 miles, went on eBay for $16,000. The guy has been selling his accessories, and just got his Sundowner and back rest for $230. Nice deal.  He still has a full Mustang setup if anyone's interested.

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »

Geez, $16K? Damn! Makes me want to cry knowing how much I spent for it new. :'(

As for the sissy bar, I had it made to my specs. Unfortunately, I wish I had a welder and bender, to do it myself. It still mounts using the same 3 posts of the standard deuce backrest which is nice. I just wanted something different than the stock backrest to hold my bags.
Good score on the sundowner. Let me know how you like it. I heard it does move you forward and up a bit. I was toying with that seat for the Mrs. on the long hauls. It's either that, or the Corbin  gunfighter/lady which already has the backrest mounted on the seat for her. Makes the transition easy from solo to dual - I just have to remove my custom sissybar and swap the entire seat. As you probably already know, that poor excuse for a rear seat on the CVO stock seat just doesn't cut it.

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 11:23:16 AM »

Oops..
Forgot about the info on the fork brace. It's Kurakyn. As for improvements, it definitely stabilizes the front better. I notice much less nose dive when applying the front brakes hard. A little 'firmer' and secure feel on turns as well. Not too difficult to put on. Hardest part was lifting up the fork covers 1/4 inch to get the brace mounted in-between.
Plus... it's chrome so it can't be all that bad!
C

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

winter mods,
I removed my front and rear reflectors for free.  I didn't want to start to fast.

kobi04sed

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 05:03:04 PM »

My winter project is replacement of the factory seat. I bought a used Corbin Young Guns seat, Having it recovered with grey Ostrich. I hope it will be done soon. I like the tach needle trick. I may do that too..
Where is everybody?? Look how long it took to get a fresh post...

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 10:43:28 PM »

C-DEUCE04 - Yeah, when I saw that $16K, I could just about kicked myself. Seems these damn SED's have depreciated more than any other CVO. Pretty irritating.

On the Sundowner, gosh I didn't know it moved you forward too? The bike already feels a little tight. I was hoping for a little more comfort and I figured the slight bolster might help hold the knees in. For whatever reason, after 50-100 miles I get pretty tired of trying to keep the knees in from the wind. I guess I'll try it and see how it works. My Mrs won't get near the bike, so this is all about me! If this doesn't work, I'll try something else.

I'll have to look into that brace. However, I thought they mounted right over the fork?

dereck - Once you start the mods, it'll get intoxicating so just go with it!

kobi04sed - I can't wait to see that seat. Sounds awesome man!

BTW - The only thing I worry about with that tach mod is, I sure hope it's not too bright!  That could get a little distracting.  I think I'll try to add a small switch if possible just in case.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 10:58:44 PM »

Hey BTW C-DEUCE04, how did your dyno go? Ever get that map done?

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »

I don't think the 04 SEG duces are losing value. Just when someone gets antsy about selling like the one on Ebay. I didn't see the bike or ad though, but I had the same experience a few months ago when I wanted to sell mine in lieu of a RK. (I won't anymore as I got it out of my system) my experience here is everyone (and I mean everyone) tried to loball me. I was willing to go blue book and never got close in the offers. One example was at Detroit HD in September, I was looking at a 2006 e glide and asked what would I get for the duce....sales person said he would check with his boss..he returned in 10 minutes and said my bike and 12, I was thinking my bike and 1200.00........You guessed it he said no....my bike and 12000. So you see where that went. I did get a more suttle offer at Wolverine HD (15000.00 for the duce) towards an 07 RK. The sales person there did suggest I sell outright in lieu of his offer, he also asked what price I had in mind and when I informed him "bluebook" he said I was "right on".  

Some comparisons you must make when you compare your 04 duce to the 07 SE springer
1. The duce has dual disks up front
2. The duce has detonator wheels
3. The duce has the front nose piece, and frame trim.
4. We have 95 inches vs the 103 but its enough for me.
I think the SE springer is beautiful and would also want one but my next one will be a RK. Keeping in mind the folks who buy the SE Springer will suffer the same experiences we all do when selling.

I did get the sundowner seat and wider back rest for my wife. I bought the seat and had a custom seat maker put in more padding in the back portion for the wife. Looks real good and will send some photos this week.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »

Wazzup?  Soooo, what kind of mods you are you guys working on over the winter?  I'm working on the following:

1.  Backlighting the tach.
2.  Sundowner seat and back rest
3.  DEFINITIVE5 Filter System - Looks like I'll have to trim the chin spoiler a bit?
4.  Condor Chock - Not reall a mod, but will make the oil changes easier.

Anyone else have any cool plans?

mrmagloo, can't wait to see the pix. [smiley=worthless.gif]
I've been so busy with new chit on the SEEG for winter riding, I've kind of ignored the SED. I did add a Billet Storage Tube (10") because I gave up on ever finding a set of Gunrunners (they went belly up) and I've never liked the fork bags. Oh, and did a SE chrome eagle horn cover w/ LED blue eye that looks very sweet. In fact just ordered another for the SEEG.
Glad to see some activity down here, I keep looking but it has been pretty quiet lately.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »

johnlee - I have to say, I've been watching the resale values pretty closely, and the closing deals on ebay, and it's not just onesie-twosies at these low numbers. While I agree that the dealers still have them listed at MSRP, even for used ones, real world they are going much lower than you probably know.

Also, the SES (SE  Springer) has a 110 not a 103. It is a damn beautiful bike, and I have no doubt that the new drivetrain was a big factor in the hit we just saw. Frankly, the reason why I'm watching this so close is I'm tempted to sell mine and get a 07 this spring, but I can't afford such a drastic hit. I dunno - we'll see.

BTW - I would love to see the pics!

MJZ - Yep, I think I mentioned that I actually got that guy - the inventor - on the phone one day (Forgot his name now). The guy claimed he had a bunch in some boxes somewhere and I told him I'd be happy to set up a GP and get rid of them all. A hundred voice and emails later, still nothing. The guy was a total flake and was obviously more focused on his 'custom' bike building, or lack thereof. If he builds bikes with the same business forsight as his bags, I sure as hell wouldn't want one!

Anyway, I ended up going with the HD-SAC bag in the back which is awesome!  I can actually fit my briefcase/laptop in the back on the infrequent day or two I rode it to work. You might be able to just make it out in my avator pic, but it's not too big and looks great. At first I was only going to leave it on for long trips, but it looks so good, I leave it on all the time. I'm actually kind of glad it worked out this way.

Post a pic for that se horn cover. Sounds cool!

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »

Here is a picture that I took right after I put it on just as the sun was setting. That is not the real excuse, the real eacuse is I suck as a photographer. ;D

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 09:06:43 PM »

mrmagloo - Yup got her mapped and dyno'd. Like everyone said, "gee, I thought it would be higher?" but I'm content for now, considering all I changed was the exhaust and A/C. It cleared up the backfiring on deceleration which is what I was worried the most about. Gained around an additional +10 HP and TQ over the map that DynoJet said would match my setup. There's always more to go with cams, adj pushrods, if I'm feeling the need for speed (instead of chrome).

As for the fork brace, it does just go over the forks but to prevent it from sliding down, there's a tiny notch cut in the brace which sits in between the fork tube and the tube cover when you clamp them onto the fork.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:08:02 PM by C-DEUCE04 »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 09:48:39 AM »

MJZ - I can still make it out. Looks great!

C-DEUCE04 - It was over 100 degrees when I got my map done at Sturgis this year and my numbers were right around the same. 80 & 90 something HP/TQ.  He did say that the Big Radius was not exactly helping and a good White Bros 2 into 1 or a SuperTrap with 20+ rings would help tremendously.  Frankly, I don't need a few extra number to put up with such fugly pipes.

On the fork brace - I see what you are saying now. How much does the cover have to rise?  Is it the full thickness of the brace? Seems that would cut into the travel quite a bit, no?

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »

mrmagloo - only had to raise the entire fork cover up about 2-3mm. Its just enough to allow the notch to go in. See image with red highlighted edge [sorry, my photochop skills are severely lacking]. Only the top red edge "bead" needs to notch in between. The rest of the fork goes around the outside of the fork tube.  The fork maintains its entire stroke.

I wholeheartedly agree on the looks of the Big Radius. I guess great minds think alike. Same bike; same pipes. The few ponys I might lose is easily offset by it's grin factor. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I get compliments on it all the time.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »

C-DEUCE04, when you get a chance, please post a picture with the fork brace installed.
Thanks

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »

C-DEUCE04 - I see perfectly!  In your original post, I thought the cover had to be raised the entire thickness of the brace, which prompted the concern. 2-3mm is nothing. Thanks for clearing that up!

MJZ - When trying to take a photo with very bright backlighting like that, you have a couple of simple options to improve the results.  Point the camera down or to another similarly dark area that's around the same distance away. Press the button down 1/2 way and hold it to freeze the settings - you should see a light or something to confirm. Then turn back to the bike and press the button the rest of the way. Alternatively, if you don't have a darker area below or to the side, simply zoom into the subject into a dark area and do the same thing. Once you freeze the settings zoom back out to fram the subject.  Play around with that and those tricks can be used for a lot of different settings.

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:09 PM »

MJZ -
Due to global warming, I was able to take this picture a lot sooner than anticipated.

Unfortunately, it was prior to my disappointing last ride of the day when I found my rear signal light hanging and dangling off held on only by it's wire [check my post on the CVO quality (or the lack there of) thread...]
I was always told to check your lights before you ride but never my light mounts.
Anyway, have a fork...

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 09:22:54 PM »

Thanks for the picture, that look great. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »

mrmagloo -
no and yes.
no I didn't take a picture at the time because I was too busy fuming trying to muster all the strength and energy to put it back on and...
Yes, it did nick the paint a very tiny bit on the edge of the recess hole/crater/divot where the chrome tail light tucks in. ARGH!

On a good note (if there is a good note), taking off that fender strut allowed me access to clean and polish underneath it. You'd be surprised how dirty it gets under there. It really is just a strut "cover". Now I have to take off the other side to clean it to "match".

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »

My only mods for the SED this winter will be the purchase of a SAC type bag for the luggage rack (Stock seat to be used this season instead of the solo), replace any rusting screws (Switch Housing) and bolts, and nothing else...gonna spend all my mod money on CVO rides this year...and .....maybe an '08 SE(R/T)G to replace the Ultra...

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 11:11:49 AM »

WFP - I'm not sure if you can see it, but my avator show the SAC bag and this thing is great. I actually think the bare deuce rack looks a little retarded, so I leave the SAC on full time and think it look fine.

BTW - Has anyone installed an oil cooler?  Ideally, I would like to add a Jegs and one of the new Definitative filer systems, but they say those don't work together.  Frankly, I haven't even seen a SED with a cooler so I don't know.  If I was to do it, I'd like to use the same coasted ss lines and polish the base, but I'm surprised there's not a more elegant option other there?  would have been nice if there was a removeable plug on the block somewhere to avoid dealing with the filter mounts.

Thoughts?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »

Well, to update the original mods I had planned that started this thread, I figured I'd share the feedbck for those contemplating the same:

1.  Backlighting the tach.

Awesome mod - I highly recommend this one. Although I wish the LED was a bit brighter to closer match the speedo, it is very clearly illuminated and nicely solves this one quirk.

2.  Sundowner seat and back rest

I suppose if you wanted to stick with it, it might be good, but after testing it for a ride around the block, I realized that the sides rest on the fender further out than the stocker, and leaves wear marks. Although I was able to get these out with a little elbow grease, I would imagine that after a few hundred miles, you'd have a real problem. At $700 or more for the fender, the seat lost.

3.  DEFINITIVE5 Filter System

Easy install and very great mod as well. Oil changes now are a breeze with no more messes. These should come stock. Just wish you could run a cooler with them.

4.  Condor Chock - Not really a mod, but will make the oil changes easier.

If you don't have a lift, these are real handy for working on the bike. I find myself using it quite a bit.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:01:01 PM by mrmagloo »

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:48 PM »

Well, to update the original mods I had planned that started this thread, I figured I'd share the feedbck for those contemplating the same:

1.  Backlighting the tach.

Awesome mod - I highly recommend this one. Although I wish the LED was a bit brighter to closer match the speedo, it is very clearly illuminated and nicely solves this one quirk.

2.  Sundowner seat and back rest

I suppose if you wanted to stick with it, it might be good, but after testing it for a ride around the block, I realized that the sides rest on the finder further out than the stocker, and leave wear marks. Although I was able to get these out with a little elbow grease, I would imagine that after a few hundred miles, you'd have a real problem. At $700 or more for the fender, the seat lost.

3.  DEFINITIVE5 Filter System

Easy install and very great mod as well. Oil changes now are a breeze with no more messes. These should come stock. Just wish you could run a coller with them.

4.  Condor Chock - Not reall a mod, but will make the oil changes easier.

If you don't have a lift, these are real handy for working on the bike. I find myself using it quite a bit.

I hope this helps.

mrmagloo,

Thanks for the update. Did you get any work-in-progress or end pics?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »

I didn't take any in-progess pic's, but I can certainly takes some after shots. Just have to figure out what the kids did with the digital camera!   :-\

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:04 PM »

Not the best pics, but hopefully it'll give the idea:

Definitive5

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »

The back lit tach. Stock, the needle on the tach is not illuminated, and with this mod, you can clearly see the needle. Again, it's not quite a bright as the speedo, but that might not be so bad being closer to your line of sight. Still, the needle is very clear whereas stock, it was almost impossible to pickout. I hope this helps. There is a better picture at their site here:  http://www.heavycycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=49
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:56:15 PM by mrmagloo »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »

OEM vs Modified

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »

OEM vs Modified

Quite a dfference there. I like the extra light. Also, the D-5 filter looks quite nice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 21 queries.