Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Awful Quiet!  Winter Mods?  (Read 6118 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Awful Quiet!  Winter Mods?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 09:48:39 AM »

MJZ - I can still make it out. Looks great!

C-DEUCE04 - It was over 100 degrees when I got my map done at Sturgis this year and my numbers were right around the same. 80 & 90 something HP/TQ.  He did say that the Big Radius was not exactly helping and a good White Bros 2 into 1 or a SuperTrap with 20+ rings would help tremendously.  Frankly, I don't need a few extra number to put up with such fugly pipes.

On the fork brace - I see what you are saying now. How much does the cover have to rise?  Is it the full thickness of the brace? Seems that would cut into the travel quite a bit, no?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »

mrmagloo - only had to raise the entire fork cover up about 2-3mm. Its just enough to allow the notch to go in. See image with red highlighted edge [sorry, my photochop skills are severely lacking]. Only the top red edge "bead" needs to notch in between. The rest of the fork goes around the outside of the fork tube.  The fork maintains its entire stroke.

I wholeheartedly agree on the looks of the Big Radius. I guess great minds think alike. Same bike; same pipes. The few ponys I might lose is easily offset by it's grin factor. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I get compliments on it all the time.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »

C-DEUCE04, when you get a chance, please post a picture with the fork brace installed.
Thanks

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »

C-DEUCE04 - I see perfectly!  In your original post, I thought the cover had to be raised the entire thickness of the brace, which prompted the concern. 2-3mm is nothing. Thanks for clearing that up!

MJZ - When trying to take a photo with very bright backlighting like that, you have a couple of simple options to improve the results.  Point the camera down or to another similarly dark area that's around the same distance away. Press the button down 1/2 way and hold it to freeze the settings - you should see a light or something to confirm. Then turn back to the bike and press the button the rest of the way. Alternatively, if you don't have a darker area below or to the side, simply zoom into the subject into a dark area and do the same thing. Once you freeze the settings zoom back out to fram the subject.  Play around with that and those tricks can be used for a lot of different settings.

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:09 PM »

MJZ -
Due to global warming, I was able to take this picture a lot sooner than anticipated.

Unfortunately, it was prior to my disappointing last ride of the day when I found my rear signal light hanging and dangling off held on only by it's wire [check my post on the CVO quality (or the lack there of) thread...]
I was always told to check your lights before you ride but never my light mounts.
Anyway, have a fork...

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 09:22:54 PM »

Thanks for the picture, that look great. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »

mrmagloo -
no and yes.
no I didn't take a picture at the time because I was too busy fuming trying to muster all the strength and energy to put it back on and...
Yes, it did nick the paint a very tiny bit on the edge of the recess hole/crater/divot where the chrome tail light tucks in. ARGH!

On a good note (if there is a good note), taking off that fender strut allowed me access to clean and polish underneath it. You'd be surprised how dirty it gets under there. It really is just a strut "cover". Now I have to take off the other side to clean it to "match".

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »

My only mods for the SED this winter will be the purchase of a SAC type bag for the luggage rack (Stock seat to be used this season instead of the solo), replace any rusting screws (Switch Housing) and bolts, and nothing else...gonna spend all my mod money on CVO rides this year...and .....maybe an '08 SE(R/T)G to replace the Ultra...

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 11:11:49 AM »

WFP - I'm not sure if you can see it, but my avator show the SAC bag and this thing is great. I actually think the bare deuce rack looks a little retarded, so I leave the SAC on full time and think it look fine.

BTW - Has anyone installed an oil cooler?  Ideally, I would like to add a Jegs and one of the new Definitative filer systems, but they say those don't work together.  Frankly, I haven't even seen a SED with a cooler so I don't know.  If I was to do it, I'd like to use the same coasted ss lines and polish the base, but I'm surprised there's not a more elegant option other there?  would have been nice if there was a removeable plug on the block somewhere to avoid dealing with the filter mounts.

Thoughts?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »

Well, to update the original mods I had planned that started this thread, I figured I'd share the feedbck for those contemplating the same:

1.  Backlighting the tach.

Awesome mod - I highly recommend this one. Although I wish the LED was a bit brighter to closer match the speedo, it is very clearly illuminated and nicely solves this one quirk.

2.  Sundowner seat and back rest

I suppose if you wanted to stick with it, it might be good, but after testing it for a ride around the block, I realized that the sides rest on the fender further out than the stocker, and leaves wear marks. Although I was able to get these out with a little elbow grease, I would imagine that after a few hundred miles, you'd have a real problem. At $700 or more for the fender, the seat lost.

3.  DEFINITIVE5 Filter System

Easy install and very great mod as well. Oil changes now are a breeze with no more messes. These should come stock. Just wish you could run a cooler with them.

4.  Condor Chock - Not really a mod, but will make the oil changes easier.

If you don't have a lift, these are real handy for working on the bike. I find myself using it quite a bit.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:01:01 PM by mrmagloo »

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:48 PM »

Well, to update the original mods I had planned that started this thread, I figured I'd share the feedbck for those contemplating the same:

1.  Backlighting the tach.

Awesome mod - I highly recommend this one. Although I wish the LED was a bit brighter to closer match the speedo, it is very clearly illuminated and nicely solves this one quirk.

2.  Sundowner seat and back rest

I suppose if you wanted to stick with it, it might be good, but after testing it for a ride around the block, I realized that the sides rest on the finder further out than the stocker, and leave wear marks. Although I was able to get these out with a little elbow grease, I would imagine that after a few hundred miles, you'd have a real problem. At $700 or more for the fender, the seat lost.

3.  DEFINITIVE5 Filter System

Easy install and very great mod as well. Oil changes now are a breeze with no more messes. These should come stock. Just wish you could run a coller with them.

4.  Condor Chock - Not reall a mod, but will make the oil changes easier.

If you don't have a lift, these are real handy for working on the bike. I find myself using it quite a bit.

I hope this helps.

mrmagloo,

Thanks for the update. Did you get any work-in-progress or end pics?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »

I didn't take any in-progess pic's, but I can certainly takes some after shots. Just have to figure out what the kids did with the digital camera!   :-\

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:04 PM »

Not the best pics, but hopefully it'll give the idea:

Definitive5

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »

The back lit tach. Stock, the needle on the tach is not illuminated, and with this mod, you can clearly see the needle. Again, it's not quite a bright as the speedo, but that might not be so bad being closer to your line of sight. Still, the needle is very clear whereas stock, it was almost impossible to pickout. I hope this helps. There is a better picture at their site here:  http://www.heavycycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=49
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:56:15 PM by mrmagloo »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »

OEM vs Modified
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.