Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain High, June 2015  (Read 23972 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Rocky Mountain High, June 2015
« on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »

For me it all begin about 2:00 a.m. on Fri morning, June 12.  Packed the bike and the Bushtec, left Coronado, Ca. headed for Ouray, Colorado.

Just as the sun started to rise...and just a few miles before the Ariz. state line and Yuma I took my first shot at about 80 mph....

[/url]

and I arrived in Yuma......already hot!

At a roadside rest and my first sight of a seguro cactus on this trip......

My next stop was Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson in Phoenix, Ariz.  Already 103F at 9:30 a.m. and I was both tired and damn hot.  Speakin of damn hot.....Buddy Stubbs is where I met this beautiful little creature working behind the clothing counter, Chandra.  Chandra shared with me that she's in to fast cars and hot men.....(that leaves me out).  Or was it hot cars and fast men (I'm all in!  :P )

I spent the night in Heber-Overgaard, Ariz.

Up and on the road by 6:00 a.m. the next morning.....I will be in Ouray, Co before the night fall.

Thank God for that radar detecto.....of course I slowed and let the po po go on by....

I finally hit the New Mexico state line......gonna stop in Gallup, NM for breakfast

Rut-rohhhh......this is where the nightmare begin.  I've headed north out of Gallup after eating and filling up.  A long, lonely stretch headed towards Shiprock, NM.  A two lane road for a long way but eventually it turns in to two lanes in each direction with room to pull over and stop without getting run over. 

I'm going to take off my Gerbing heated jacket and put my Screamin Eagle jacket on.  As you can see in the pic, I took everything out of the Gerbing jacket.....wallet with credit card, drivers license and social security card (I know, I know), my bike keys, reading glasses and gloves.  Once I got the jacket off I grabbed my golves and the jacket and walked to the back of the trailer and them in the trailer and grabbed my SE jacket and put it on.  For some reason I walked up the street side of the bike, reached over and grabbed my camera to take these two pics, put my helmet on, got on the bike and rode off........my wallet, bike keys and glasses still laying on the ice chest of my Bushtec.  68 miles later I stopped in Shiprock at a gas station and that's when I realized I'd lost my wallet (still didn't know about my keys).

I got my fat wallet out of my tour pack that the rest of my credit cards were in, filled the tank and headed 68 miles back!  No success......didn't find any sign of anything.....not even a broken pair of glasses.  I sure hope a big truck came along and blew everything into the bushes and it'll all be there ten years from now.

My next stop another 25 miles down the road I took off my Gerbing heated pants......stilll not realizing that I'd lost my wallet, keys and glasses.  Just so thankful I had a full set of keys (including trailer and hitch lock) in my saddle bag!

I stopped on the side of the road three times to empty the trailer, my tour pack and my saddle bags to find the second set of keys but no luck.  Right now all I cared about is that the bike would still start.

As I rode out of Farmington, NM towards Durango it started rainging in buckets.....soon it turned to hail.  Withing seconds it was marble size hail.  OK, this was another "first" for me.....I'd never even seen hail that big before......marbles bouncing all over the damn highway. 

Back down to two lanes, I slowed to about 20 mph and turned on my flashers and kept moving.  It quit and cleared up about as quick as it came and just before my arrival at Durango HD.  Went in and introduced myself to the GM, Jeff.  I'd been corresponding with him for a couple months about a CVO Ride In Bike Show and welcome (finger foods, refreshments, etc.).  He took me back to show me the winner and runner up trophies that he had one of his guys make for us........

Out of there.  More black clouds headed this way.....I'm hell bent for Ouray.  Sure didn't want to get caught on the Million Dollar Hwy. in the kind of storm I'd just rode through.....especially pulling a trailer.  All those steep grades, switch back after switch back, after switch back on steep grade.  I wasn't so lucky! :o

Had to put the camera away....it came down in buckets, again.....and that damn hail!  :o

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:09:08 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Rocky Mountain High, June 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »

I arrived a day earlier than I'd planned....arrived on Sat.

Here is our home base for the week...the Switzerland of America, Ouray, Colorado.

and headed south on the Million Dollar Hwy. to Durango....

There are lots of these signs along this route....

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:19:42 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »

Wow! Simply outstanding JC!  :2vrolijk_21:

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:27:02 AM »

Great Pics JC (especially Shandra..), looking forward to more!
Alan

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:06:25 AM »

Very Nice !!!
DND

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:35:37 AM »

Great Pics JC (especially Shandra..), looking forward to more!

:2vrolijk_21:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »

Great pics JCZ!!! I really wish I would have made the trip!!!! It just didn't work out. Have fun Be Safe and keep the pics coming!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »

Beautiful country you are showing us, JC (and Jock in another thread).  Man that sucks on losing your wallet/keys/gloves.  You weren't distracted by the after glow of meeting Shandra, were ya... ::)
Keep those pictures a'coming sir.  For those of us that couldn't make it, it's nice to see the countryside and the friends that did get to the GTG.
Hey, did you EVER find your second set of keys? 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »

Jock had to give me a jump start again yesterday on my flickr account but we're rollin now.  Thanks a bunch Jock!

Continuing on down the Million Dollar Hwy.........a deer off in the meadow.  You have to remember, I'm trying to shoot these pics on the fly while navigating this narrow highway with drop offs straight down and mountains straight up.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »

Rocky mountain high.....11,018 feet elevation!

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:56 AM »

motorcycle paradise!

We spent the day in Silverton, yesterday.  Many more pics of this little town to follow......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »

It was awfully nice of them to paint Durango Harley Davidson to match my bike.....

Back at the lodge.....other members are starting to roll in.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:03:26 AM »

Look it there.....at Judy's bike shine!  I believe she just may well be the competition for everybody at the ride in bike show.  I heard she holds the braggin rights at Maggie Valley  :P   I see Jock eyeballing her bike...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »

dinner's only a couple of blocks, let's just hoof it......

The main street of Ouray......

dinner, upstairs on the balcony?  Hell yeaaaaaaaaa!

CVO headquarters for dinner this night.....

My Babe......

Duck hunters?

High altitude.  Many CVO owners were lookin for this ride..... :P

Another great day in the San Juan mountains.  A very relaxing event in an awsome location.  Different ride options for each day, small packs that move in these mountains much easier, eat where you want instead of trying to pile 50 people into one place......just a very relaxing GTG.  Cudos to Mark and James for an outstanding job.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »

Yesterday Steve & Cammy (Fullsac), Andy, Danny, Babe and I rode down the Million Dollar Hwy. to the little mining town of Silverton for an easy day, easy but yet beautiful ride....

Started with our morning group pre-ride meeting at the end of the parking lot....

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 23 queries.