Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Value  (Read 5684 times)

wiliturk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

Value
« on: February 03, 2019, 11:36:03 PM »

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a '19 Mako Blue Road Glide CVO. I'm being offered a much better deal than other dealers offered me on a Scorched Orange Limited, pretty close to the same money. Also, I've looked at two used CVOs and they were actually worse deals. I love the color and I've wanted one since I came around to the Harley touring bikes three years ago. My question, has anyone been totally dissatisfied with their purchase of a CVO? Did anyone regret it?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Value
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:17:51 AM »

"My question, has anyone been totally dissatisfied with their purchase of a CVO? Did anyone regret it?"

Some love their CVOs, some do not. Some love all of the ones they have purchased, others do not.  You ask a very good question but it's a very subjective one and on a forum where people like to vent about issues & problems (all forums not just this one) you will get the "warts and all" type answers.  Some advice - concentrate on answers from folks who actually OWN & ride a 2019 Road Glide CVO.  Answers from folks on pre 2017 CVOs are on a different engine platform (not the M8 motor - the 110 cu inch and depending on how far back other motors).  Like comparing apples and oranges, basically.

I ride a 2017 CVO Limited - not the 19 CVO Road Glide. 114 motor, not the 117 in the 2018s & 2019s.  Best bike I have ever had & best Harley.  Other opinions will vary.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:51:38 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »

Some love their CVOs, some do not. Some love all of the ones they have purchased, others do not.  You ask a very good question but it's a very subjective one and on a forum where people like to vent about issues & problems (all forums not just this one) you will get the "warts and all" type answers.  Some advice - concentrate on answers from folks who actually OWN & ride a 2019 Road Glide CVO.  Answers from folks on pre 2017 CVOs are on a different engine platform (not the M8 motor - the 110 cu inch and depending on how far bike other motors).  Like comparing apples and oranges, basically.

I ride a 2017 CVO Limited - not the 19 CVO Road Glide. 114 motor, not the 117 in the 2018s & 2019s.  Best bike I have ever had & best Harley.  Other opinions will vary.

An Excellent and very well stated post!

Also, keep in mind the phrasing of your question.  If you ask "has anyone been totally dissatisfied with their purchase of a CVO? Did anyone regret it?"  You will only hear from the negative side of the spectrum and that might give the false impression that many are dissatisfied.   

wiliturk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, what I want to know is the value there? The price they cost, are they worth it? I don't care about bragging rights, I'm just going to ride it. I want the bigger motor and I love the look. It satisfies me, the bike is the chit. Myself, I'm having a problem wrapping my head around the price. Is there enough added value to make it worth it?

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:51:18 AM »

Go into your decision "eyes wide open"
You ask good questions.
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, what I want to know is the value there? The price they cost, are they worth it? I don't care about bragging rights, I'm just going to ride it. I want the bigger motor and I love the look. It satisfies me, the bike is the chit. Myself, I'm having a problem wrapping my head around the price. Is there enough added value to make it worth it?

Asking only 2019 CVO Road Glide owners is going to give you a very small research category.
Two problems by limiting your info to that group only. 
1.  Not very many owners of that specific model and year as it is a CVO limited production.
2.  Ownership of that single model is less than 1 year and overall not too many miles to accurately answer your questions.

You are spending absolutely top dollar in the motorcycle industry and you say "I''m just going to ride it". 

With the money you are going to spend, and the desire you have to "just ride it" you may want to search "sumping" before you purchase what is one of the most expensive factory produced motorcycles made.

Then YOU decide if "if the value is there" or "if they are worth it"

Many opinions:
There are many scorned anti-HD from bad experiences, and just as many who are so HD BRAND loyal they would pay $150k for a Ford Pinto if HD started remaking them with an HD badge.

Your going to need to research with your eyes wide open.

Ultimately you have to answer the questions.  Best of luck to you with your decision.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:53:16 AM by guppytrash »

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »

There has always been debate as to whether or not the CVO is worth it.   IMHO the answer is yes.  I traded a '16 CVO Street Glide that had a tuned 110 with a good exhaust.   That bike was a monster, but the '19 is every bit as powerful in completely stock form (just my seat of the pants experience)  In addition to the engine you get Power Locking Saddlebags,  Sirius XM with weather maps which are nice for outrunning the rain, WHIM Module, Apple Carplay which is big for me because I use Wayze and Amazon Music, All the Defiance Trim, wheels, The Mako Paint which is beautiful, ABS, Leather Seat, Boom GTS Stage II, LED Everything, Embroidered Bike Cover...   Plus, Exclusivity.   The bottom line is that not everyone can afford or get the credit to buy a $44,000 dollar bike.  People are drawn to my bike everywhere I go.   If you can afford it, and you are an enthusiast, then I say do it!

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 12:27:32 PM »

^^^^ My 18 is the best bike that I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it but don't tell anyone how much you enjoy it so that we can keep some exclusivity! lol  :bananarock:
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

k9f

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »

With my own purchase a little two years ago I made a list of what the CVO had over the standard model and came up with the following:

Bigger engine, USD forks, twin disks up front, cruise control, fly by wire, Daymaker and LED lighting all round, axle and swing arm bolt covers, calliper inserts and a natty paint job to boot to name but a few. It was enough for me personally as there were loads of non CVO models about.

Over here we pay in pounds what you pay in dollars for everything Harley-Davidson so in today's money we pay 30% more for the same item. Also unsure about potential resale values over there but here CVOs do hold their money quite well over non CVO models.

Buying a CVO still unfortunately didn't prevent me spending a further £5k on making it my own! I hoped it would! If your pockets are deep enough I would say 'Life is too damn short and there are no pockets in a shroud, go for it!'   

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »

I have owned 3 CVOs & when I compared the CVO bigger motor than stock, CVO paint, CVO add ons that are not on standard bikes, and CVO convenience features like remote locking bags & heated grips/seat I found the CVOs to be a better value - for me - than trying to customize a bike to that level on my own. Others have a different opinion.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide.  I customized a 2002 Road King (not a CVO model) to a CVO level of modifications & it cost me more than the CVO would have.  Rode it for 16 years & got the use out of it but when I traded it those add ons were not on a par with what the trade in dollars would have been had that bike been a CVO.  Long way of saying CVOs have a higher price when new & can command a higher price at trade in or selling time.

If the bike fits your needs, if it is fun to ride, and you like the color then like the gal at the bar says now it's just a matter of money.

Good luck on what you decide - try to find a 2019 CVO RG owner to talk to.  They are the best source of info, bar none. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »

Over here we pay in pounds what you pay in dollars for everything Harley-Davidson so in today's money we pay 30% more for the same item. Also unsure about potential resale values over there but here CVOs do hold their money quite well over non CVO models.

Do the dealers over there really mark them up that much? The UK msrp for the CVO Road Glide is £33,595 while the US msrp is $42,339. If they are marking them up to £42,339 that is way worse than what we complain about dealers in the states doing.

To answer the OP's question, I own a 2018 CVO Limited. I love the bike and would buy it again. I upgraded the engine to Harley's stage 3 with their high flow exhaust and street tuner to stay warranty compliant. I am very happy with the power even knowing there is more to be had if warranty wasn't a concern. So far it has been trouble free. The power locks, tpms, and paint are nice. If I look at it strictly from a money standpoint, no it is not worth it. If I approach it from how much enjoyment I get from it, it absolutely is. This is a luxury purchase after all, not an essential item. From trading a 2016 CVO Road Glide towards this purchase, this is certainly not an investment, so don't approach it that way. To me  it comes down to I wanted it, I could afford it, and I enjoy it.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

Let's face it. It is stupid money. But that being said, they are bad As hell. You only live once.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

14 CVO King

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 05:19:15 PM »

I have a 19' Road Glide, YES it was worth it to me.  As said by a few others, it's a great bike and the features on it are awesome, personally the remote bag locks are the best part.  I would do it all over again, same awesome paint and model.  Value is a very subjective question, as what I value is completely different than others, I saw the bike as the dealer was rolling it onto the floor and I knew it would be mine.  Never asked opinions, did pass it by the boss though, I just started making the deal.  So the point is if you have to ask strangers if they regret the purchase maybe you're not feeling it, if you are then get it and enjoy the hell out of it. I know I am, now to just figure out how to get the locking bags on my Road King.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy the new ride, which ever you decide.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 12:48:08 AM »

I had three CVOs before I bought my 2018 RG Ultra 107" (non-CVO) instead of another CVO.  The dealer installed the Stage 3 kit, which brought mine up to the same 114" as the CVO.  Then I added good exhaust pipes, heated grips and CVO heated seat, top-notch floorboards and highway pegs, SiriusXM radio, and some odds and ends.  While my paint job (beautiful Twisted Cherry) is not as fancy as the CVO paint, I like it very much.

So my "build your own" BYO CVO has most of the CVO features for about $9000 less.  When it comes to trade or sell time, the engine mods will add value, and most of the other add-ons can be removed easily and sold.  So, will it hold value like a CVO (supposedly one of the good things about them)?  I think there's a good chance it will maintain the same percentage of the original MSRP as will a CVO...not to mention the $9000 savings up front. 

Clearly, mine is a better economic value, and that's without considering the extra interest you'd pay on financing the higher CVO price (and I paid cash for the bike and all mods) and the higher insurance rates.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 06:52:39 AM »

I know I am, now to just figure out how to get the locking bags on my Road King.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy the new ride, which ever you decide.
I actually added power saddlebag locks to my 2016 Street Glide.  Takes some $$      See my thread:  https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=116301.msg1471744#msg1471744

Macdaddy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58:25 AM »

Do the dealers over there really mark them up that much? The UK msrp for the CVO Road Glide is £33,595 while the US msrp is $42,339. If they are marking them up to £42,339 that is way worse than what we complain about dealers in the states doing.

To answer the OP's question, I own a 2018 CVO Limited. I love the bike and would buy it again. I upgraded the engine to Harley's stage 3 with their high flow exhaust and street tuner to stay warranty compliant. I am very happy with the power even knowing there is more to be had if warranty wasn't a concern. So far it has been trouble free. The power locks, tpms, and paint are nice. If I look at it strictly from a money standpoint, no it is not worth it. If I approach it from how much enjoyment I get from it, it absolutely is. This is a luxury purchase after all, not an essential item. From trading a 2016 CVO Road Glide towards this purchase, this is certainly not an investment, so don't approach it that way. To me  it comes down to I wanted it, I could afford it, and I enjoy it.

No, CVO's in the UK are never sold above MSRP.

Just bought my 19 Road Glide and it was priced at MSRP, of course I got the dealer to throw in a couple of bits and pieces!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 24 queries.