Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Show me your headlights  (Read 7010 times)

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
Show me your headlights
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:39:14 AM »

I am thinking about new HID lights.  2lane got me intrigued about the Xtralights, but was wondering about the size of the lights on the 2007 SE Springer...I think that they are H4s but am not 100%.  I am not due to pick my bike up until late June at the earliest, but would like to get parts ordered to get it taken care of.

Thanx

Seegarz

If anyone has other opinions on HIDs let me know

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Tommy2Tall

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Show me your headlights
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 10:56:49 PM »

I am interested also, I am wanting to change my headlight to a smaller 4.5" HID but would like to see it before I make a $600.00 purchase.
2007 CV0 Amarillo Gold and Candy Tangerine Springer
2000 Burgundy Heritage Softail Springer
1996 Black and Silver Sportster 1200C

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »

I am thinking about new HID lights.  2lane got me intrigued about the Xtralights, but was wondering about the size of the lights on the 2007 SE Springer...I think that they are H4s but am not 100%.  I am not due to pick my bike up until late June at the earliest, but would like to get parts ordered to get it taken care of.

Thanx

Seegarz

If anyone has other opinions on HIDs let me know

The Springers do use an H4 bulb.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:47:38 AM »

The Springers do use an H4 bulb.

Do they have room for that long H4 dual bulb from the HID supplier we've used?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:50:23 AM »

Do they have room for that long H4 dual bulb from the HID supplier we've used?

The bulb should be fine, finding a place for the ballast will be the trick. I have not pulled one completely apart yet to see if it will also fit in the headlight bucket.

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »

The bulb should be fine, finding a place for the ballast will be the trick. I have not pulled one completely apart yet to see if it will also fit in the headlight bucket.

The latest Thunder Press has an article on headlights and upgrades.  Bottom line is that it warns off sticking HID lamps into headlights designed for other types as the reflectors aren't designed for them.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 12:17:46 AM »

HD,
Comment please.  What is the actual problem...3rd grade level please?  The balast???  That is something we military people use to keep a boat from tipping or plane flying straight not put in our scoots.

Seegarz :-X :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 02:00:12 AM »

The latest Thunder Press has an article on headlights and upgrades.  Bottom line is that it warns off sticking HID lamps into headlights designed for other types as the reflectors aren't designed for them.

bc

Don't let the article scare you off the project.  The upsides (using the digital systems that have been discussed here lately) are significant improvements in effective light, lower draw on the charging system, no increase in ambient heat in the housing.  Oh, and you're no longer blind at night (yeah, that one is redundant, but having enough light to ride safely is worth mentioning twice).

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 07:54:31 AM »

... Oh, and you're no longer blind at night (yeah, that one is redundant, but having enough light to ride safely is worth mentioning twice).

That was the point - that with HID bulbs in a housing designed for halogen (or whatever), it LOOKS brighter, especially immediately in front of the bike, but there's less light down the road.  Result: your pupils shut down and you actually see less.

Take it for what it's worth.  I thought the article made some good points about things to consider.  Ya always gotta go with what you think best, though.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:58:28 AM »

That was the point - that with HID bulbs in a housing designed for halogen (or whatever), it LOOKS brighter, especially immediately in front of the bike, but there's less light down the road.  Result: your pupils shut down and you actually see less.

Take it for what it's worth.  I thought the article made some good points about things to consider.  Ya always gotta go with what you think best, though.

bc

I can tell you, and this is an undisputable fact, experienced on my own bike, and I'm not merely trying to justify the $400 for the new lights.

I could not see CHIT in front of my bike with the stock headlight. Granted, it was not aimed high enough, but the difference with HID is mind-blowing. Maybe if I didn't adjust the headlamp, and left it pointing at the ground 30 feet in front of the bike, would their analysis make sense, but there is absolutely no comparison between the stock halogen and HID lights. 

Looking at Travis' pictures CLEARLY shows the extra range you get with the HID's. I'll stop here, because Travis' pictures are worth thousands of words.

Lo Halogen (Where are the Trees?)

Lo HID (There they are)

Hi Halogen (Barely see the trees here)

Hi HID (Damn! Them some BIG trees)

Granted, raising the stock headlight will yield an improvement, but it won't get you all the way there.

School's out.

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 10:29:45 AM »

Looking at Travis' pictures CLEARLY shows the extra range you get with the HID's. I'll stop here, because Travis' pictures are worth thousands of words.

Great pics - thanks. 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 11:01:43 AM »

HD,
Comment please.  What is the actual problem...3rd grade level please?  The balast???  That is something we military people use to keep a boat from tipping or plane flying straight not put in our scoots.

Seegarz :-X :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Seegarz;

The Ballast is the electronic box that controls and powers the light. There is also a relay and ingniter that you need space for. The Ballast is fairly small, about 1/2" x 3" x 3". I do not think it will fit in the headlight bucket due to the other wires and connectors that are in there. It is possible though I have not taken one apart yet to confirm.

Attached is a picture of the ballast and igniter I stole from 2lanes post:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11544.0

Hope this helps...

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 07:22:48 PM »

Thanx guys still interested in finding out if there is enuf room to conceal all those thingies on a springer, kinda defeats the purpose of OCD  and a clean bike if I duck tape the gadgets to the light housing or tank...IMHO! :huepfenlol2:

Seegarz

Seegarsmkr

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.