Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: backrest with fender strut trim  (Read 2917 times)

rumz

backrest with fender strut trim
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:46:39 PM »

i want to put a backrest on but i dont want to remove the trim from the mounting area. has any body figured out how to do that? it seams like there should be a way. thanks for any ideas

astromikey

Re: backrest with fender strut trim
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:47:49 AM »

I put one on my 07 that bolts to the fender under the seat ... I didn't want the big sideplates.  I believe if you want more conventional look ... they make sideplates that bolt between the fender and the struts ... but they are not the quick detachable kind ... they are more permanent.  Somewhere in here I think I posted a pic of my backrest ... in case you can't find it, I will attempt to attach it again.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 11:54:28 AM »

I put one on my 07 that bolts to the fender under the seat ... I didn't want the big sideplates.  I believe if you want more conventional look ... they make sideplates that bolt between the fender and the struts ... but they are not the quick detachable kind ... they are more permanent.  Somewhere in here I think I posted a pic of my backrest ... in case you can't find it, I will attempt to attach it again.

Very cool astromikey! :2vrolijk_21:

Who's part is it? Do you know if the make it for a '85 FXWG Rail type Sissy Bar?

Thanks.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rumz

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:32:59 PM »

thats pretty cool , where did you get that?

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 03:32:51 AM »

thats cool :2vrolijk_21:

astromikey

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:30:23 PM »

Sorry it took so long to reply ... end of the year is psycho time here.  So Kuryakyn sells it as the 'plug and play' sissy bar, but I bought mine from the people who make them and sell them to kuryakyn ... JB Fabrication.  They make three different left to right curvatures ... Kuryakyn only sells the smallest arc radius one which will not fit the wider SE Springer fender.  THe one I got is called the Daytona Tech cross section ... I ended up having to drill some new holes to line up with the holes in the fender, but that was pretty easy.  I also chopped off the front of the bracket ... but that was easy too ... I also micro adjusted the front to back curvature (by hammering and standing on it) which was easy.  what you can't do is change the side to side curvature ... the metal is too thick (and that is why they make three different curvatures).  The Daytona Tech curvature was the widest / most open / biggest arc radius one of the three.  I actually got them to send me actual size cross section sketches of the three so I could see which one was the closest to fitting the curvature of my fender.  Worked well. 

The upright is a standard harley mini rail and the pad is also from harley.  All JB sells is the bracket with holes for the upright posts to drop down into ... the bracket shown in the pic sitting on top of my seat is the one from Kuryakyn which I didn't realize until I got it, that it wouldn't work ... so I sold it on ebay for a loss.  LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE ...

I will say that I like it enough that I don't ever take it off ... even when I am bar hopping it looks cool enough to leave on there ... but it is pretty easy to remove if that is a concern.  BTW ... I am a real customer, not realated to anyone who works for or owns JB fabrication. 

08_ScreaminSpringer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »

More pictures please
08 Softail Screamin Eagle Springer with SERT and D&D fatcat Big Boar 2 into 1..

astromikey

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »

I'll see what I can come up with ... sorry its been a while since I've been on.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.