Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible CVO purchase  (Read 3331 times)

Dahoyle

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Possible CVO purchase
« on: February 09, 2020, 03:13:08 PM »

I am seriously considering purchasing a 2011 CVO Softail Convertible, and I really am undecided.

As a background,  this would be my first Harley.  All my riding to date has been on either Japanese or Italian bikes.  My current ride is a 2003 Aprilia Tuono,  and I hate to move on from it,  but my knees ache too much if I am on it for much more than a couple of hours.  The positive attributes of the bike are that it is just RAW.  There is no other word for it.  125 hp, insane handling, and crazy brakes on a 425 lb machine all add up to insane fun,  but even with standard bars,  my 58 year old body just takes a beating on an extended ride.  I have a buddy who has always ridden Harleys,  and has a pretty serious Street Glide,  and he said the bike scared him when he rode it.  It has a pretty good bit of carbon fiber, and OZ racing wheels which just makes it that much lighter and responsive.

So.... I have been seriously considering a Harley,  and I am leaning towards a Softail of some sort, rather than a larger bike, and have found a nice looking 2011 CVO.  It is, admittedly, totally foreign to me, and just sitting on it feels "wrong", however, I am sure that is exactly what my knees need, so I figure I can adjust.  Still, I wonder if I will be satisfied with the performance.  I was reading somewhere, and someone bragged about their 50-80 mph 5th gear roll on,  and the closest I could equate that to was my 30-90 mph 3rd gear roll on (yes, it will pull hard from 3000 to 9000 RPM, but hardest past 6000 RPM). 

I know I am going to be giving up performance in every category, whether acceleration, handling, or braking,  but other than that I have no idea what to expect.  I love the looks, and the lengths I can go with customizing the bike to suit me,  but I am still finding it hard to pull the trigger. 

Anybody have any words of advice that might nudge me one way or the other?

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Possible CVO purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 05:28:50 AM »

One word ... Rentals ... Try BEFORE you buy.

Cheers,
Smoketown

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 03:45:44 AM »

I am 61 soon old mate. I have been on Harleys since 1995 and I LOVE the low end torque.
My current ride is a 2008 CVO 110 Springer and it is a gruntmaster "out the hole" !
Same same motor and frame as the bike you are considering
Now I used to race 750cc production class in the early 90's , so I have had my full range high revving Jappers.

Your knees will love ya for it. Oh , and your fuel consumption will be way better for sure.
No illegitimi carborundum

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 11:18:58 PM »

My ride is a 2011 flstse2 and I love mine. Bought it new in October 2010. From a 67 year old.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 06:13:36 AM »

One word ... Rentals ... Try BEFORE you buy.

Cheers,
Smoketown

That and Extended Warranty. The 110 is not known as the most reliable out of the crate engine.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »

That and Extended Warranty. The 110 is not known as the most reliable out of the crate engine.

Yes.  Extended warranty plus rent one.  Take the bike out & ride it.  When I switched to Harley was lucky enough to borrow bikes from friends - a softail & a touring bike.  Different rides & different bikes  and both are a big change from what you are used to riding.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.