Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowered 1” RGU, do you scrape pipes or other components?  (Read 1359 times)

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
Lowered 1” RGU, do you scrape pipes or other components?
« on: January 19, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »

Hey all,
I have a 2015 FLTRUSE that will be dropped 1” by new rear shocks and a loweing kit in the forks.

What was just brought up was scrapeing the muffler tips and other parts after the drop. Although I had not heard this as a concern previously.

I am wondering if any here have had any issues or experience with this?

Thanks
Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

Bextreme

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Re: Lowered 1” RGU, do you scrape pipes or other components?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »

Mine was dropped 2” on rear and scraped had to raise it up an 1”. No problem since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:11:50 PM »

I have drug the pipes and boards... and even drug a high way peg once, the wife says that I may ride a lil aggressive tho.  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:47:46 PM »

Lowering one inch front and rear will obviously reduce ground clearance about one inch, so you might need to be more careful riding over large speed bumps, and of course it will reduce lean angle.  You can learn to compensate for the reduced lean angle by utilizing a racing technique; instead of leaning the bike normally, shift your body and weight off the centerline of the bike toward the inside of the corner which will allow the bike to remain more upright through the turn.  I doubt you'll need to go to the same extremes as racers, so don't bother buying knee pads. :)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:15:40 AM »

Lowering one inch front and rear will obviously reduce ground clearance about one inch, so you might need to be more careful riding over large speed bumps, and of course it will reduce lean angle.  You can learn to compensate for the reduced lean angle by utilizing a racing technique; instead of leaning the bike normally, shift your body and weight off the centerline of the bike toward the inside of the corner which will allow the bike to remain more upright through the turn.  I doubt you'll need to go to the same extremes as racers, so don't bother buying knee pads. :)

Jerry

Pure Gold Mr Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:40:04 PM »

Jerry

:D  :2vrolijk_21: No near future plans to become a knee drager.
Thanks for the tip :drink:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:27 PM »

And don't go diving off with the wife on the back. Did that once and Mrs. R quickly said get back up here. I rode back and forth to work years ago over a twisty road and got used to going a little fast. lol

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 05:14:08 PM »

Why would you want to lower both front and rear suspension, you will drag the kick stand all the time. If you're having that much trouble at traffic lights consider changing the seat instead or don't stop LOL.
If you want your bike to corner better at low speeds i.e. parking lots  and twisty roads then raise your rear shocks 1" however you might loose a little hi-speed stability but only at 90+ mph.
The second mouse gets the cheese.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 02:49:17 PM »

Have not heard of nor experienced stand drag problems?

Front and rear equally to maintain original angles but, the rear is only when I am on it. I had Ohlins set to allow 1” drop when sitting on it. Front is a 1” lowering kit.

With as much 2up riding we do I like to be more stable at stops.

I understand my lean angle is not as good. Guess I will take he 15mph corners at 45 instead of 55  :drink:

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 23 queries.