Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Twin cooled 110 vs 114 vs 117 m8  (Read 17220 times)

fpa110cvo

Re: Twin cooled 110 vs 114 vs 117 m8
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »

Our First CVO was a 2013 Anniv  110 motor was good ran a bit hot but don't they all? @ 28K sold her for a 2015 CVO Limited   motor about the same with power maybe a bit cooler seat was better for wife and slight better suspension in front @ 45K traded for the 2018 CVO Anniv  So far only 650 miles and impressed with the new motor and suspension BUT comparing a bike with 44K to new is not that fair.  Are they expensive?   Darn right but start adding on the things you want and that gets pretty expensive with very little warranty to back you up.   Switched from BMW's to Harley in 2010 with a 2010 Limited and added a ton to it.  Now with almost 100K on Harleys only had some very minor issues and one day that the warranty was used but worked as promised.    I do my own service and do it all that I can without the dealer getting my bike.  My dealership does have good wrenches so if needed I feel OK.   All 3 bikes dealer dealt on.    Got better than book trade in and price discounted they even dealt on extended warranty.  Our HOG chapter rides a good bit we rack up the miles each year..  Took club out on Iron Butt last year 12 bikes we all completed it and two weeks out west in 110+ temps in Utah.  I see subtle differences in all 4 bikes I have owned each change a bit better and serve my needs but I tend not to be a nit picker when it comes to my bikes over 40 years on the street on all makes me just glad to be out there.   All bikes have something odd embrace it.  Here to many more and to Harley for keeping me interested.   Our dealer gives Chapter member 15% off on everything but a new bike and then we get first dibs.  Two of us on new CVO's right now, a new anniv trike and a anniv street   So teh dealer makes the motor company.  Good like  Hope you find what makes you happy.   Ride Safe...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »

I've got no dog in this hunt, but just based on all the reported failures with not only Stage III or IV M8's but also stock M8's, 2017 and 2018 models, I think it might be best to wait until Harley actually fixes the root cause of the sumping issue.  The 110 isn't exactly the epitome of high quality, but as long as you do some preventative parts replacements (like lifters every 10k - 15k miles) the odds are decent that your engine won't turn into a boat anchor.  On the other hand, the M8's with serious sumping problems are usually trashed and have to be replaced or totally rebuilt.  If you have any illegal mods on the bike that repair will come directly from your pocket.

Considering how many years it normally takes H-D to fix their design issues, you may be waiting for an M8 for a few more years.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »

I'll pony up with you IRNEngineer....I  have ridden the new 107 and 114s. Yes they have a better ride and more torque than my '13 110, but compared to my 2000 Ultra it screams. With the Fullsac exhaust, new lifters and the TTS it has plenty of power. I never have had an issue with heat...I guess some do. A big deal for me is that I am not a fan of the Rushmore + outer or inner fairing. I like my old school 4 gauge inner fairing look and the solid outer. I don't need the extra $$ for a touch screen for the radio or GPS. My I phone has that. I don't listen to the radio much anyway. Rather listen to the wind. And now we get to the colors....I haven't seen any 14 + color that I like over mine. Some of the paint schemes make me wonder what they were smoking.. I guess lastly, I am not sure why they keep jackin up the price tag for the CVOs. Good Lord..You can buy a nearly new crew cab dually for that. lol  So bottom line I will keep my ol' 110. Variety is a wonderful thing....Everybody is happy..happy..happy.

CRAZEEEWMCAR@GMAIL.COM

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »

I'll pony up with you IRNEngineer....I  have ridden the new 107 and 114s. Yes they have a better ride and more torque than my '13 110, but compared to my 2000 Ultra it screams. With the Fullsac exhaust, new lifters and the TTS it has plenty of power. I never have had an issue with heat...I guess some do. A big deal for me is that I am not a fan of the Rushmore + outer or inner fairing. I like my old school 4 gauge inner fairing look and the solid outer. I don't need the extra $$ for a touch screen for the radio or GPS. My I phone has that. I don't listen to the radio much anyway. Rather listen to the wind. And now we get to the colors....I haven't seen any 14 + color that I like over mine. Some of the paint schemes make me wonder what they were smoking.. I guess lastly, I am not sure why they keep jackin up the price tag for the CVOs. Good Lord..You can buy a nearly new crew cab dually for that. lol  So bottom line I will keep my ol' 110. Variety is a wonderful thing....Everybody is happy..happy..happy.

I guess I'll buck the trend here.  I love my '16 FLHXSE and the 110.  I have no desire to trade for the new m8.  I worked with our HOG chapter leading dealership rides on the '17's & '18's, so I've ridden several models. (One was a 117 Stage 4 - and THAT machine was a beast!) Personally, I just didn't like the quiet unremarkable smoothness of the m8.  I couldn't wait to get back on my 110. I don't argue the m8 is probably a better overall motor, handles heat much better and is certainly the way of the future for the MoCo.  And I don't argue that it has been long awaited and really loved by many.  This is purely a subjective, psychological, sensory position for me.  I want a bike I love to ride and suits me.  I love love love the sound of my 110 - and with my V&H headers, Rinehart exhaust and Pro tuner I have more hp and torque than the stock m8 117 (not apples-to-apples comparison, I know). I haven't heard an m8 exhaust note yet that I really like and I understand the Pro tuner is no more.  I may be the only one here that loves the 110 and all the racket it makes.  And I may be sitting all by myself at the '18 Eureka Springs GTG - banned from hanging with those that love their m8's. But I'll carry the lonely banner for the twin cam! Ha!

I agree and love my 110!!

fkhan726

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »

We purchased a 2016 with the 117 kit after test riding both a 2017 with the 114 M8 and a new 2019 with the 117 M8 at Red Rock Harley in Vegas.  Price aside, the twincam upgrade to the stage IV just flat out moves.  And as others have mentioned the bike feels and sounds like the Harley's I have owned over the last 20 yrs.  Maybe some day but right now I am not ready for a Harley that is as smooth and refined as the M8.  As far as heat goes, the M8 may be cooler but we live in Vegas and it's ridiculously hot in the summer so twin cooled was the only option for us regardless of twincam or M8. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:20:43 PM by fkhan726 »

Davestune

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »

i have a 2016 cvo ultra,  its silver and black , think all the paint looks like gay to me.
have no faith in the motor just from reading and hearing the failures ,  its a modern bike, i would get a new bike but they just are not worth the money and my 16 isn't either, when it blows up i will put a 124 in it,  like the ride and like it on the highway  longest day on the bike was 1060 miles  long ride, normally stop at 800 miles for a day,    but I love to hate it and love it at the same time,   my heart is with my knuckleheads. so i look at these modern bikes just to ride long with the ol lady. 
  its nice to push a button been riding since 78..........
to much for a new bike f that :oops:

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »

I rode a 08 with 96 and a 2010 with 96 motors. Both got the job done. Then I bought a 2016 with the HO103. WOW it was a noticeable improvement in performance. Then we upgraded to a 2017 CVO Limited with 114 and WOW it was like adding a supercharger to the 103. You need to go ride some. That is what we did. I go to Daytona, or York every other year and demo the heck out of them. 

Good luck with your decision

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 11:49:24 PM »

I guess I'll buck the trend here.  I love my '16 FLHXSE and the 110.  I have no desire to trade for the new m8.  I worked with our HOG chapter leading dealership rides on the '17's & '18's, so I've ridden several models. (One was a 117 Stage 4 - and THAT machine was a beast!) Personally, I just didn't like the quiet unremarkable smoothness of the m8.  I couldn't wait to get back on my 110. I don't argue the m8 is probably a better overall motor, handles heat much better and is certainly the way of the future for the MoCo.  And I don't argue that it has been long awaited and really loved by many.  This is purely a subjective, psychological, sensory position for me.  I want a bike I love to ride and suits me.  I love love love the sound of my 110 - and with my V&H headers, Rinehart exhaust and Pro tuner I have more hp and torque than the stock m8 117 (not apples-to-apples comparison, I know). I haven't heard an m8 exhaust note yet that I really like and I understand the Pro tuner is no more.  I may be the only one here that loves the 110 and all the racket it makes.  And I may be sitting all by myself at the '18 Eureka Springs GTG - banned from hanging with those that love their m8's. But I'll carry the lonely banner for the twin cam! Ha!
I’m with you. I had both a 2017 CVO 117 stage 4 (3 replacement engines due to sumping) and an upgraded 2010 CVO Ultra. I’m rid of the M8 and I still have the 110. The power and sound of the TC is far more fun that the M8. That being said, I was looking forward to buying a new 2020 CVO. I was hoping it would be a CVO RG Ultra.

They didn’t even try to put lipstick on the 2020 CVOs. About as boring as they get. The 2020s are definitely off my shopping list. I’ll be looking at getting either a new BMW Grand America or the new 2020 water-cooled Indian Challenger Touring bike.

With the $15k I’ll save over a CVO Limited, I can get one helluva custom paint job on either the BMW or the Indian.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 26 queries.