Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: front speakers on sesg3  (Read 1565 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
front speakers on sesg3
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »

I know that the front speakers are only 1 ohm. Is there any upgrade for these speakers without changing the stock amp?  I might be getting in touch with Tif2 otherwise,,,    Thanks   Stuart

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: front speakers on sesg3
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

I've been going back and forth for months on this issue.  It seems like HD found another way to screw us customers by putting a system in that can't be easily modified.   :confused5:

I'm probably going to get a Biketronics system with the HAT speakers so I can still use the handlebar controls.  It'll be adequate, not up to par with one of Tif2's custom systems, but much better than the stock junk.  It's the law of diminishing returns;  it starts to cost a lot more for a little more performance.  I've found I don't use the stereo as much riding my 'cicle as I do in the cage.

Good Luck!  :2vrolijk_21:

Dan

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »

Thanks Dan. Please let me know what you do. If anything. I know I want to do something. Not sure what tho.  Is the biketronics amp plug n play?

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:07 AM »

Jim said hawg wired is coming out with something real soon. Their products are great and they have super customer service. A little pricey though

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »

I have a biketronics system I might let go. It's the larger one 360 watts, complete.
I don't use it any more

just thought

dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:56:33 AM »

According to Biketronics, it's a plug n play system.  I need to call and find out if the connectors are compatible w the 2012 SESG.  Those rear speakers may throw a monkey wrench in this plan, too.

I will probably go with the Titan II speakers, I'm pretty sure they are identical to the Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine series.

They have a newer amp that's output is 180 watts x4. 

With a head unit, that's less than $1100, and I can easily install it myself.  Will just need to get lower speakers.

If anyone can think of a better option that is simpler and/or cheaper, let me know.

Dan

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »

According to Biketronics, it's a plug n play system.  I need to call and find out if the connectors are compatible w the 2012 SESG.  Those rear speakers may throw a monkey wrench in this plan, too.

I will probably go with the Titan II speakers, I'm pretty sure they are identical to the Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine series.

They have a newer amp that's output is 180 watts x4. 

With a head unit, that's less than $1100, and I can easily install it myself.  Will just need to get lower speakers.

If anyone can think of a better option that is simpler and/or cheaper, let me know.

Dan

Yeah, stay with the factory ones.  Unless you use your stereo alot when you're not moving, you won't hear the audio quality that you paid for.  None of the speaker locations have a decent acoustic chamber for them, except the saddle bags and that will change based on what you have in them.  You won't be able to appreciate the sonic quality of supposedly better speakers when you're moving.  IMO the extra money you'll spend is only going to be appreciated when you're standing still.  I find the factory speakers to be just fine for when I'm riding...but that's just my opinion and my ears may be shot from years of listening to AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Boston, et. al, at very loud volumes for the past 45 years.   :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »

That's what I thought.  That's probably why I havent done anything yet  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:35:48 AM by cvostu »

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 10:58:41 PM »

The biketronics are plug and play. I am not aware of any difference in the connectors on the new 12 models. the biketronics comes with a speaker/amp adapter that must be used. you connect the factory speaker wiring to it and then the adapter connects to the speaker and of course the amp's connect to the adapter to. The 360 watt amps has 2 amps, one for each speaker. you can also get a adapter to connect 4 speakers. I think, if I remember right, the adapters are different, one connects 2 speakers and the other has connectors for 4 speakers.  If you buy the complete kit (6.5inch kit) with speakers they should come with 6.5 inch speakers and the adapter to convert the speaker housing to 6.5 inch. Mine did. By having 1 or 2 ohm speakers you can still use 4 ohm speakers. You can go up on ohms with speakers but not down. the only thing will be less volume, slightly but better clarity and sound. the biketronics, unless they have changed is based on 4 ohm speakers. That is what is on my adapter for the amp/speakers. The Titian speakers are 3 ohm speakers.
I had the 180 watt at first but had ground issues so I upgraded to the 360 watt version. Their service is second to none. They back up their amps/speakers 100% without a complaint.
just a thought

dd
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:01:52 PM by dirtdobber »

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:06:35 AM »

I've discovered an interesting phenomenon.

Started using earplugs (the Hear-os rubber ones, not the foam ones) on longer rides because the combination of wind, exhaust, and road noise was tiring and hard on the ears.  I found that with all this extra noise eliminated, I can turn on the stereo and hear it much better with the earplugs in.  Strange.

All frequencies are audible; you can actually hear bass, vocals are understandable, and I can even hear the symbols.  It's not good quality sound, but it's much better than the cacophony of all the various noises competing with each other.  The problem is that the volume is turned up higher than usual, and there's some distortion.   

This is my temporary "duct tape and bailing wire redneck fix" for this week.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »

That's interesting.  Never would have thought of that one.. :)

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »

yes, it works. not only can u hear it better the quality is better.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »

With earplugs, you have to be more careful about where you are.  You forget how loud things really are.  I pulled into a gas station once, and everyone was looking at me.  After I checked to make sure my fly wasn't opened, I pulled out my earplugs and couldn't believe how loud the music was playing.  No wonder people with young children were running away.

I thought it was my badass biker presence, but it was really just Judas Priest blaring at 110 decibels.

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »

If your hard of hearing like I am your use to pay close attention with your eyes any way.
but then as a good trained rider-I hope you have taken the advanced riders course- you should be paying very close attention to your surroundings all around you anyway.

just a thought

dd

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

With earplugs, you have to be more careful about where you are.  You forget how loud things really are.  I pulled into a gas station once, and everyone was looking at me.  After I checked to make sure my fly wasn't opened, I pulled out my earplugs and couldn't believe how loud the music was playing.  No wonder people with young children were running away.

I thought it was my badass biker presence, but it was really just Judas Priest blaring at 110 decibels.
x2, but with Allman Brothers.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 25 queries.