Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: variable cam timing  (Read 4202 times)

sbcharlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
variable cam timing
« on: October 18, 2004, 08:40:20 AM »

we are about to release our new variable cam timing gear. we have designed this concept, to be used on chain drive cam first, than gear drives. this device alters the cam timing 6 degrees while the engine runs. it advances and retards cam timing as rpm changes. we have been working on this concept for the 6 months. i am hopin to get some kind of patend on this real soon. this is going to change the performance of a harley engine in many different ways. thanks short-block charlie

soups7

• '03 SERK
Re: variable cam timing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:36:30 AM »

SBC,

What will this do for us, what will the cost be?
Zippers 577 cams, Zippers 50MM TB w/Zippers AC
Zippers modified heads
Thunder Header 2into1 with falsie
SE Race Tuner
Progressive 440's, fork springs, touring suspension link
Accutronix forward controls
Dragonfly Fairing w/Kenwood CD/Radio
Additional chrome bits and pieces

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 12:10:35 PM »

SBC,

What will this do for us, what will the cost be?

Is this product similar to the varicam that was offered for automobiles a while ago?
Back in the early-mid 70`s, a Super Stock racer (396 & 427 Chev)used a "Vari-Cam",with
which he could change the cam timing with a long Allen key, through a pair of holes drilled near the top of the timing covers.
Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 02:42:28 PM by mfgreen »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 01:57:20 PM »

Charlie keep us informed on this.  I think the up side is pretty obvious but what are the down sides?  How many miles has this been test ridden on a chain drive?  Will it have a negative affect on the cam chain tensioners?   Can you draw the full picture for us on this item without giving up your propietary information?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 01:38:37 PM »

Charlie:

Bob Wood has been offering a 4 degree advance/retard gear for some time. Is your concept different than his? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 02:10:48 PM »

I own a car (mazda 6) that has variable cam timing, it has a ford duratec v-6 engine
(the variable cam timing is unique to the mazda)
I believe it works like an automatic advance ignition, as the rpm's change the timing can advance or retard mechanically
(ignitions used counterweights with springs <<now it's all computerized for precision>>)
I can tell you this, my mazda 6 puts out about 15% more horsepower then the compareable ford duratec (the same 3 liter engine is used in the ford taurus and mercury sable) needless to say my interest is peaked!!! [smiley=1syellow1.gif]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 02:19:32 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'd rather be twisting the wick!!!!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 Black/Blue
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTK
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:29:27 PM »

Variable cam timing has been around for quite a while. Honda calls it V-tech, Toyota calls it VVTI, Subaru calls it  Active Valve system. All do about the same thing. The cams gears have oil passages in them allowing them to rotate forward or reverse depending on how much advance is called for. Oil is fed to the cam gear from a solenoid on the engine which is controlled by the ECU. It's a great system in my opinion. Would be great to see it make it on to the twin cam engines. It greatly enhances the performance on auto engines.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 01:30:29 PM »

Hey Charlie:

My bad! I didn't connect that you were working on true variable timing!!! [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=dunce2.gif] Woods gear is just a 4 degree offset . Good Luck with the development. Could be a great advance for HD motors. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

bf2002flht

• Junior CVO Member
  • for sale
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 01:33:41 AM »

hey! shoet block, this is Brad. I worked with Skip for quit a while, tell me more about the variable cam timing.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.