Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V124 Top End Rework Questions  (Read 3053 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
V124 Top End Rework Questions
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »

My S&S V124LC was built with Springs for 585 lift and non Roller Rockers. Shop is installing a 600 cam and Roller Rockers. To my understanding when heads are removed, the cylinders should be removed,
New base gaskets, new piston rings, all new gaskets and retorqued. They will hone the cylinders to remove any glazing on the cylinders. Do the Rings need the 1000 mile break in? Any recommendations?

Davestune

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

Re: V124 Top End Rework Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:32:20 AM »

this is what I do with a new motor, however this is on pans knuckles and flatheads,   I dump my oil at 50 miles , 500, 1000.
  I break the motor in real easy for 1st 50 miles im usually no faster than 40 MPH   , I also roll the throttle on and off to wash down cylinders.
when you seat rings properly, valves ect  you end up with nice high compression and longevity rather than the ride it like you stole it tude alot will do.
  Donny's unauthorized also talks of this break in procedure .
On your bike you have a oil filter so this maybe over kill, i would prolly go 500 change oil and then again at 1000 but thats me..

break it in slow and have it last

Davestune

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »

forgot to tell you   dont lug the motor  and dont rev the motor keep it around 2500 2600 rpm and vary the throttle, that 1st 50 miles is very important  :cherry:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »

If the heads are off why is it then mandatory that the cylinders come off also?  One doesn't require the other.  Also, even if the cylinders come off on what I have to presume is a low mile engine there's no reason the cylinders can't go right back on the rings they've been running happily against.  If there's a problem in there, sure, throw the kitchen sink at it.  If not don't spend money and time unnecessarily.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »

If the heads are off why is it then mandatory that the cylinders come off also?  One doesn't require the other.  Also, even if the cylinders come off on what I have to presume is a low mile engine there's no reason the cylinders can't go right back on the rings they've been running happily against.  If there's a problem in there, sure, throw the kitchen sink at it.  If not don't spend money and time unnecessarily.
I won't gamble on potential oil leaks when I remove cylinder heads.
 I change base gaskets, seals, etc. when I pull the heads off an engine. It lets me check ring wear,  bore, and correct deck height also if needed.
John

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »

I won't gamble on potential oil leaks when I remove cylinder heads.
 I change base gaskets, seals, etc. when I pull the heads off an engine. It lets me check ring wear,  bore, and correct deck height also if needed.
John

Completely understand and, if doing it commercially, wouldn't disagree John.  Working on a shop schedule with customers wanting bikes back and current/upcoming customers hating when schedules shift would definitely just build the little bit of extra time and money in to the schedule and know there won't be a problem.  Having said that....

Fortunately I've not had a problems with cylinders when R&Ring heads.  Lucky, cautious, motorcycle Gods are with me; it's something I can chance on my own or the occasional friend's (who is freeloading labor for beer  ::) ) anyway.  Same on re-ringing if cylinders are off.  If parts are still very good they can be reinstalled.  I'll be cautious.  Any question of course the wear/fear/concerns dictate the work.  Sometimes stuff is just still fine though.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 07:43:51 AM »

iff the cylinders are not disturbd,theres no reason to remove cylinders,that said,if its got miles on it,it is a good time to check rings,cylider out of round/taper.new rings should be used and yes break in is required.do a leak down before tearing down motor

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.