Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 299

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 732980 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #1350 on: April 19, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »

From there it goes to the Immersion Chiller (IC) which is sitting in the wort (in the silver kettle with the brass IC sticking out of the top)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:14:19 AM by Robmay »

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1351 on: April 19, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »

Then into this cooler with about 20#'s of ice water and then back to the original cooler with the submersible pump.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1352 on: April 19, 2008, 09:13:18 AM »

The whole setup. It took 15 minutes running regular ground water to the IC and out into the yard to get the wort down to 100 degrees. Then I hooked this setup up and it went from 100 to 68 in 9 more minutes!!! I like it. If you notice in the picture below, there are two burners. The burner that is hooked to the propane tank and is empty is the burner I used for my brew session. After flame out I move it to the burner stand the kettle is n in the picture to help speed up the cool down process (not having the boil kettle sit on a hot burner).

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #1353 on: April 19, 2008, 11:55:21 AM »

The whole setup. It took 15 minutes running regular ground water to the IC and out into the yard to get the wort down to 100 degrees. Then I hooked this setup up and it went from 100 to 68 in 9 more minutes!!! I like it. If you notice in the picture below, there are two burners. The burner that is hooked to the propane tank and is empty is the burner I used for my brew session. After flame out I move it to the burner stand the kettle is n in the picture to help speed up the cool down process (not having the boil kettle sit on a hot burner).

Rob,

Thats a great way to speed up the cool down, I even do it up here. by end of may our water needs help too, I'm glad I kept the first 25' copper one I bought when I was brewin on the stove. without the pre-chiller it took me about 45 min to cool down 10 gal from boil.
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #1354 on: April 19, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »

Boy, there a lot of goesintas and comes outtas with that! 

PM me your addresses so I can drink your beer!    :huepfenjump3:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1355 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »

Miker,

Come on up to Ocala my friend. I have some American IPA in the bottle, a Bourbon Barrel Porter I'm getting ready to rack to the secondary to soak up some oak chips and Makers Mark Bourbon, a Columbia IPA about 1 week away from kegging, and a Light Ale that will be ready in about 3 weeks!!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #1356 on: April 20, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »

I do concentrated worts and add cold water after the aromatic hops to bring it to about 90 degrees or so.  I've never done a whole 5 gal boil before.  Is there a flavor advantage or anything else I'm missing?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #1357 on: April 21, 2008, 12:17:01 AM »

I do concentrated worts and add cold water after the aromatic hops to bring it to about 90 degrees or so.  I've never done a whole 5 gal boil before.  Is there a flavor advantage or anything else I'm missing?
It's not beer, but I made some "tractor fuel" with friends a few weeks ago! Know what I mean? :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #1358 on: April 21, 2008, 01:19:55 AM »

there are several advantages, the first being sanitation, if you boil your whole volume you are assured of killing off any unwanted bacteria, but in the same breath I have never had a bad batch when using the cold water method. It depends on your source of cold water, tap water has chlorine not good, well water isn't sterile enough, bottled water is probably your best bet.

The second reason is actually much more important in respect to actual beer production. when you use a concentrated wort, you suffer weak hop utilization. your wort is too concentrated to efficiently extract the hop oils and flavors from your hops, so you must over compensate and use much more to do the same job. as your concentrated wort density varies from batch to batch you often get unpredictable bittering results which can be frustrating.

The third is a matter of the quality of the boil and how it affect your final result. I brewed on the stove for a few years and after getting a 100,000 BTU burner, I quickly saw the difference. A good hard rolling boil was just not achievable on the stove. the big burner made all the difference in actually creating a rolling boil and facilitating a hot break. foam will start to rise as you start to boil, proteins in the wort coagulate due to the rolling action of the boil. The wort will continue to foam until the protein clumps get heavy enough to sink back into the pot. once the foam settles down You will see particles floating around in the wort, This is the Hot break. coagulating the proteins in your wort and adding additional Fining agents such as Irish Moss, remove positively charged proteins in the wort, and give your beer a professional clean clear appearance instead of just another cloudy homebrew.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 01:54:18 AM by EAGLE1 »
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #1359 on: April 21, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »

Don't think I will be drinking it off the floor with straws anytime soon!  ;D  :drink:

Anyway, even though this is a Friday BEER thread...does drinking a little whiskey count?  That's all I got for tonight.  :alcohol:

Whiskey counts.  I usually call it "brown water" - forgot why I started calling it that.

You brew crafter guys have a GREAT hobby!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #1360 on: April 21, 2008, 08:52:25 AM »

Whiskey counts.  I usually call it "brown water" - forgot why I started calling it that.

You brew crafter guys have a GREAT hobby!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ish-key-bah (sic), the " Water of Life" as me ol Irish Dad would say...
Irish whiskey is little rough for me, unless you toddy it.

All bourbon is a whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon...
I like bourbon...try some Blanton's yall, you won;t be dissapointed.

Did I say I like bourbon?

Beer too...free beer even more!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1361 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »

I always boil all my water I'll be using in my beer, and add a few minerals, then it sits covered overnight. If you use cool tap water, there is chlorine in it, and depending on your water and how you handle it you may get bacteria. My rule of thumb is, before the boil everything that touches you beer ingredients needs to be clean. After the boil, everything needs to be sanitized. But if you have never had a infected batch of beer you should be OK.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #1362 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08:17 AM »

Ish-key-bah (sic), the " Water of Life" as me ol Irish Dad would say...
Irish whiskey is little rough for me, unless you toddy it.

All bourbon is a whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon...
I like bourbon...try some Blanton's yall, you won;t be dissapointed.

Did I say I like bourbon?

Beer too...free beer even more!

I'm a bourbon drinker myself.  Will give the Blanton's a try.  Usually it's Makers Mark & Wild Turkey, but not so much anymore since I don't tolerate it any better than it tolerates me.  A little ice & maybe a splash but usually not, for that cold Florida winter's evening to ward off a bit o' the night chill occasionally.

Free beer is the best beer.  Not meaning to interject politics here, but a few years back a few of us decided that if one of us was elected (some National Beer Party idea we I had) we would have "Free Beer Day" & thumb our nose at election laws & offer any voters who voted for our Beer candidate a free beer.  If they voted twice, 2 free beers & so on.  Of course this never went anywhere, but we drank a lot of beer in the planning stages & later on drank a lot of beer just because it was there I suppose.  Did not have anything resembling a platform, except beer should be tax free & an annual free beer day would be a national holiday. Hooters girls were supposed to be the Cabinet as I recall, but the details are fuzzy now.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #1363 on: April 21, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »

I'm a bourbon drinker myself.  Will give the Blanton's a try.  Usually it's Makers Mark & Wild Turkey, but not so much anymore since I don't tolerate it any better than it tolerates me.  A little ice & maybe a splash but usually not, for that cold Florida winter's evening to ward off a bit o' the night chill occasionally.

Free beer is the best beer.  Not meaning to interject politics here, but a few years back a few of us decided that if one of us was elected (some National Beer Party idea we I had) we would have "Free Beer Day" & thumb our nose at election laws & offer any voters who voted for our Beer candidate a free beer.  If they voted twice, 2 free beers & so on.  Of course this never went anywhere, but we drank a lot of beer in the planning stages & later on drank a lot of beer just because it was there I suppose.  Did not have anything resembling a platform, except beer should be tax free & an annual free beer day would be a national holiday. Hooters girls were supposed to be the Cabinet as I recall, but the details are fuzzy now.

A little bourbon n "branch" water as my pal from kentucky says...I like to let open up a few minuts with ice.
Makers is fine too!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #1364 on: April 21, 2008, 09:23:49 AM »

A little bourbon n "branch" water as my pal from kentucky says...I like to let open up a few minuts with ice.
Makers is fine too!

Makers is a house favorite here! I like it shaken over ice and strained. Purests claim it "bruises" the bourbon and after several "testing sessions" I'm still working on what that means---exactly  :alcohol:
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 299

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.