Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 299

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 733061 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #2010 on: August 12, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »

an american ale yeast

Well I guess that wasn't a good hint, that still leaves it wide open!! A Amber Ale??

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2011 on: August 12, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »

its not a standard style, has a special secret ingredient
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2012 on: August 12, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »

its not a standard style, has a special secret ingredient

Octoberfest??

I have a 1 gallon starter going right now for a Hammerhead Red Clone (All Grain) 10 gallon bacth tomorrow night!! My Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone came out almost perfect. Actually better for summer drinking as I missed adding one pound of Crystal Malt 60L. The recipe called for 2 1/4 and somehow I only added 1 1/4. Made it a tad lighter tasting which is good for our heat right now. Also made a Fat Tire Clone that came out nice as well. Heres the recipe for tomorrow night:

10 gallon Batch
American 2 Row 20#'s
Crystal Malt 60 L 2 1/2#'s

Hops
1.6 oz Perle for 60 min
1 oz Cascade for 15 min
1 oz Sterling for 1 min

Strike water 170
Mash Temp 152 for 1 hour
Batch Sparge

Sean M Cary

« Reply #2013 on: August 12, 2008, 08:30:32 PM »

Octoberfest??

I have a 1 gallon starter going right now for a Hammerhead Red Clone (All Grain) 10 gallon bacth tomorrow night!! My Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone came out almost perfect. Actually better for summer drinking as I missed adding one pound of Crystal Malt 60L. The recipe called for 2 1/4 and somehow I only added 1 1/4. Made it a tad lighter tasting which is good for our heat right now. Also made a Fat Tire Clone that came out nice as well. Heres the recipe for tomorrow night:

10 gallon Batch
American 2 Row 20#'s
Crystal Malt 60 L 2 1/2#'s

Hops
1.6 oz Perle for 60 min
1 oz Cascade for 15 min
1 oz Sterling for 1 min

Strike water 170
Mash Temp 152 for 1 hour
Batch Sparge

how do you keep it at a standard temp when you are fermenting?

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2014 on: August 12, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »

I use a 10 gallon igloo cooler. holds it fine. Well, during the summer anyway!!  :P

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2015 on: August 12, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »

nope not an octoberfest

i havent tried an all grain yet, maybe next time
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2016 on: August 12, 2008, 09:40:03 PM »

how do you keep it at a standard temp when you are fermenting?

Good trick in the winter was putting it in my basement before the basement was finished and close all the vents, then I wrapped the fermenter in an electric blanket on the lowest setting, kept it at a constant 70*.

Buvy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #2017 on: August 12, 2008, 10:22:42 PM »

I currently have Hoegaarden on tap in the keg in the basement sitting in the kegerator.

Visited the brewery in Belgium last year just after my 30th birthday.  Interesting side note to the story is InBev had announced plans to close the Hoegaarden Brewery down in 2006.  Well by 2007 they were still not satisfied with the quality Hoegaarden produced in Jupiler so the brewery remained open.  I knowing my days were numbered went out to visit the brewery since I was in Amsteram for the 30th.  Upon my arrival I expected everyone to be kinda down and distraught and instead it looked like they had won the lottery.  Unbeknownst to me on September 10th, 2007 (my 30th) InBev announced that they not only were going to keep the Hoegaarden Brewery open they were going to spend 65 million euros on upgrades and were going to shift production of other wheat beers there as well.

It was really freaking cool.  Sorry for the longwinded rant ;)
We're the renegades of this time and age
This is the time and age of renegades!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2018 on: August 13, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »

My Kegerator isnt as purty as yours but it will do...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #2019 on: August 13, 2008, 06:34:10 AM »

Good trick in the winter was putting it in my basement before the basement was finished and close all the vents, then I wrapped the fermenter in an electric blanket on the lowest setting, kept it at a constant 70*.

I'm more concerned the other way...  No way we keep the house set to 70 - so I have to keep it cold somehow.  It gets pretty warm in NC during the winter even.

After reading about this here and getting the links I did some research and found some folks using refridges or freezers with modified thermostats to keep them warmer then normal.

Sean

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2020 on: August 13, 2008, 08:31:19 AM »

I'm more concerned the other way...  No way we keep the house set to 70 - so I have to keep it cold somehow.  It gets pretty warm in NC during the winter even.

After reading about this here and getting the links I did some research and found some folks using refridges or freezers with modified thermostats to keep them warmer then normal.

Sean

Yea, but I heard that the compressors have a problem with only running in short burst and with long durations in between, they tend to fail after a while, but I don't know this first hand. Now that my basement is finished and we are down there a lot I can't close the vents anymore. In fact the basement is colder in the summer than the winter with the A/C on.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2021 on: August 13, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

Robmay, you are playing with my emotions!  Love the Sierra Nevada...Dang, I am thirsty now!

Miker

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2022 on: August 13, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »

Pale Ale?? :nixweiss:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #2023 on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »

Yea, but I heard that the compressors have a problem with only running in short burst and with long durations in between, they tend to fail after a while, but I don't know this first hand. Now that my basement is finished and we are down there a lot I can't close the vents anymore. In fact the basement is colder in the summer than the winter with the A/C on.

makes sense, anytime you stray from the designed use.  Not sure how else other then a cooler and ice?

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 299

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.