Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 299

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 732794 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #3300 on: February 20, 2009, 08:01:53 AM »

How about buy another used fridge from the used fridge store?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3301 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »

How about buy another used fridge from the used fridge store?

Was thinking the exact same thing but then considered the floor space might be needed for the stipper pole.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3302 on: February 20, 2009, 09:34:13 AM »

Was thinking the exact same thing but then considered the floor space might be needed for the stipper pole.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3303 on: February 20, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »

Have never seen a meter that takes dollar bills. I learn something everyday here.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #3304 on: February 20, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »

I dunno but i need a cold beverage, is it noon yet?

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3305 on: February 20, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »

I was trying to decide between buying a 1/2 keg of double IPA or continuing to keg homebrew.  Problem is, I have to take out EVERY shelf in the fridge to fit the 1/2 and it would cost me about $300 including taxes and deposits (re more taxes).  I can brew and keg 15 gallons of dbl IPA for about $170 and keep the shelves in the fridge for political reasons.  I hate these decisions!

Do you have a recipe for that?

Is that price including the corny kegs and what not? I brew 10 gallons all grain with gas price, electricity for cooling, grains, hops etc for like less than 50 cents a beer (16 ounce), about a third of that if my math isn't way off.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3306 on: February 20, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »

Is that price including the corny kegs and what not? I brew 10 gallons all grain with gas price, electricity for cooling, grains, hops etc for like less than 50 cents a beer (16 ounce), about a third of that if my math isn't way off.

I agree, extract may be a little more, and the yeast you use can up the price, but that sounds a little high Jim.

It's the dam high dollar hops!

Craig

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3307 on: February 21, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »

I've gone back to kits for convenience sake.  No waste.  The kit for the IPA is about $35.  I use bottled water ($5 more).  The additional amber DME and cascade hops for a dbl IPA is roughly $15 more.  That puts at $55 for a 5 gal corny batch.  I can get a 1/2 keg of microbrew for the same price per gallon plus tax and deposit.  I do a concentrated wort and cool with the addition of cold water.  The pitch temp is around 70.  If there are any off flavors by doing a concentrate or gains in quality by doing 100% boil my pallet is not refined enough to know the difference.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3308 on: February 21, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »

You home brew guys really know your chit.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Lesseee....
I can usually get the cap off a beer bottle without cutting my hand.  :drink: :drink: :drink:

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3309 on: February 21, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »

I've gone back to kits for convenience sake.  No waste.  The kit for the IPA is about $35.  I use bottled water ($5 more).  The additional amber DME and cascade hops for a dbl IPA is roughly $15 more.  That puts at $55 for a 5 gal corny batch.  I can get a 1/2 keg of microbrew for the same price per gallon plus tax and deposit.  I do a concentrated wort and cool with the addition of cold water.  The pitch temp is around 70.  If there are any off flavors by doing a concentrate or gains in quality by doing 100% boil my pallet is not refined enough to know the difference.

How much hops do you use?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3310 on: February 22, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »

How much hops do you use?

The kit has 3oz cascade.  2 bittering and 1 aroma.  The store only had 1 more oz in stock.  It'll be 3 oz bittering.  I was hoping for 1 more.

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3311 on: February 23, 2009, 08:24:12 AM »

Just be careful using hops that come with the kits, depending how long the kit has been siting they can be old and dried out. I never used kits, but guys that I knew that did would many times throw the hops away and by new. Are the pellets or whole hops. Pellets will hold up a little longer, but I like whole hops, especially when making a hoppy beer.

Craig

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3312 on: February 23, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »

Whole hops are nearly impossible to get.  I did a tour of Saranac brewery a fews years back.  They are a good sized craft brewery.  They only used pellets.  I was suprised to see that.  The kit was only in the store a week or two.  My neighbor owns the store and called me when it came it.  everything is pretty fresh.  It's good advice for a kit style that depends so much on hop flavor (like IPA).  I have to admit, I found a kit that had been sitting around my house for 6 years.  I bought fresh yeast for it and brewed it a couple months ago.  it turned out good.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3313 on: February 23, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »

I used kits for the first 6 months and I myself never had a problem with the hops. They were all pellet. I only use pellets. I do keep them vacuum sealed and in my freezer now just in case.

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3314 on: February 23, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »

I always used whole hops, buy just what I need, sometimes had a little extra, wrap them up tight and freeze, but only for a few weeks. Pellets are usually stronger, but I just always used whole hops, just thought it was easier to strain after the boil. Mt. Hood and centennial are also a good bittering hops, but I like the spice aftertaste of cascade.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 299

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.