Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 299

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 733274 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #3690 on: January 28, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »

No fancy beers for me just good american made Pabst Blue Ribbon. Been drinking the same beer for 35 years and noone will drink all of your beer out of the cooler.

PANHEAD
I bet not.  :) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

harleydave

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE 3
« Reply #3691 on: January 29, 2012, 07:59:10 AM »

Mark
check em out

http://www.theakstons.co.uk

http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com

Both 5 mins walk from my place.

mark

« Reply #3692 on: January 29, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »

Homebrewed IPA....

Nice. Always wanted to try home brewing.

mark

« Reply #3693 on: January 29, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »

Mark
check em out

http://www.theakstons.co.uk

http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com

Both 5 mins walk from my place.

I looked at their websites...very cool places.  If these breweries are 5 min. away, you've got prime real estate.

kravnut

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #3694 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:25 AM »

Tried the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale last night.  Pretty interesting flavor, first sip was a little shocking to the system, especially not knowing what to really expect.  In my opinion this would not be a beer for the person that does not like a strong flavored beer.   All-in-all this is a pretty decent beer that I would buy again.  Has anyone else tried this beer yet.   :drink:   
Keith

2012 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide
4" Rinehart Slip-ons
Kuryakyn Quick Adjust Tour-Pak Relocator

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3695 on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:09 AM »

Tried the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale last night.  Pretty interesting flavor, first sip was a little shocking to the system, especially not knowing what to really expect.  In my opinion this would not be a beer for the person that does not like a strong flavored beer.   All-in-all this is a pretty decent beer that I would buy again.  Has anyone else tried this beer yet.   :drink:   
IMO, most whiskey barrel bears are made with to much whiskey taste, I like whiskey, but it just overpowers the beers. Way back when these beers were made they only picked up a hint of whiskey and oak from the barrels they were stored in. Many years ago I made a whiskey barrel stout, I added 1 cup of whiskey and a small amount of oak chips to a 5 gal batch. It gave a nice hint of whiskey and oak, not the first thing you tasted when drinking it.

Craig

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3696 on: January 30, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »

Nice. Always wanted to try home brewing.

You may hate me for this....

www.homebrewtalk.com

www.morebeer.com

www.northernbrewer.com

www.midwestsupplies.com

If you have any questions just shoot me, or Talon, or Eagle1, or Jester Whisperer or evn our founding father Neil a Pm.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #3697 on: January 30, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »

IMO, most whiskey barrel bears are made with to much whiskey taste, I like whiskey, but it just overpowers the beers. Way back when these beers were made they only picked up a hint of whiskey and oak from the barrels they were stored in. Many years ago I made a whiskey barrel stout, I added 1 cup of whiskey and a small amount of oak chips to a 5 gal batch. It gave a nice hint of whiskey and oak, not the first thing you tasted when drinking it.

Craig

Goose island was selling used bourbon barrels a few weeks back so our Brew Club purchased one to do a bourbon barrel stout, we have 50 gallons brewed and ready to go in between myself and 5 other brewers. We will age it in the barrel for 6 months before kegging, should be ready this fall.

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3698 on: January 31, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »

Nice, never tried a real barrel, not enough people were interested to fill a 50 gal barrel so I used wood chips and whiskey. Let us know how it comes out.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3699 on: January 31, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »

Same here Craig. I used bourbon concentrate and french oak in a porter.

George, let us know how it turns out. I think it'd be fun to make the whiskey 1st, then reuse the barrel for aging beer. Jussayin....
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3700 on: January 31, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »

my last batch was an oak experiment, and i had contamination  :bigcry: other then some samples that were quite good while aging, i dumped the entire 5 gallon batch
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3701 on: January 31, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »

My first Bourbon Barrel Porter had a small bottle of Makers Mark and a packet of Oak chips added. Turned out fairly nice. Next time I will use about 1/2 the MM though.

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3702 on: February 01, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »

my last batch was an oak experiment, and i had contamination  :bigcry: other then some samples that were quite good while aging, i dumped the entire 5 gallon batch
Neal, I steamed my chips, take a large pot with water, bring to a boil, put oak chips in a wire strainer that will sit on the rim of the pot and put it in the pot, should sit above the water not in it and cover, stir it a few times. I can't remember how long I steamed them but not long or you'll start loosing the flavor of the oak.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:47:38 AM by Talon »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3703 on: February 01, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »

Neal, I steamed my chips, take a large pot with water, bring to a boil, put oak chips in a wire strainer that will sit on the rim of the pot and put it in the pot, should sit above the water not in it and cover, stir it a few times. I can't remember how long I steamed them but not long or you'll start loosing the flavor of the oak.

As I recall, I did something very similar with the same concerns (losing oak flavor).  How about roasting in the oven at 190 for an hr?  That may accomplish a desired toasty flavor.  Any temp above 180F kills lactobacilli.  I had to dump a contaminated batch once.  Brought me to tears. 
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3704 on: February 01, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »

As I recall, I did something very similar with the same concerns (losing oak flavor).  How about roasting in the oven at 190 for an hr?  That may accomplish a desired toasty flavor.  Any temp above 180F kills lactobacilli.  I had to dump a contaminated batch once.  Brought me to tears. 
Yea, that should work and like you said, add a toasty flavor since whiskey barrels are charred on the inside anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 299

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 21 queries.