Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To paint or not to paint  (Read 3422 times)

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 1999 Heritage Springer “sold”
    • CVO2: 2011 CVORGU “sold”
    • CVO3: 2001 SERG
To paint or not to paint
« on: July 18, 2022, 07:11:21 AM »

So this happened on the way in to work this morning. Someone decided to go from my left across to my right lane in front of me and kick up a piece of metal that I hoped had just hit the windshield. At least it didn’t hit me in the face. Is it better to try and get it painted? What about the decal? Are they still available? Or does someone on here have a blue outer fairing they are ready to part with? Thanks

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: To paint or not to paint
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 10:25:00 AM »

Most auto dealers have at least one Dent Wizard and one touch up painter that they use. A lot of these guys can match almost anything. How about trying to go that route rather than a repaint?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 10:53:39 AM »

Most auto dealers have at least one Dent Wizard and one touch up painter that they use. A lot of these guys can match almost anything. How about trying to go that route rather than a repaint?

Would I need new decals, or would they be able to paint around it?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 11:03:38 AM »

The eagle as a decal never had a part number to order separately.  I've seen a couple of fairings touched up by airbrush guys and after being re-cleared the repair wasn't noticeable.  Good luck.

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 11:15:36 AM »

The eagle as a decal never had a part number to order separately.  I've seen a couple of fairings touched up by airbrush guys and after being re-cleared the repair wasn't noticeable.  Good luck.

Thanks Don

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 08:44:48 PM »

A quality painter will tape off the silhouette of the  "Decals" on both sides. He will then do the repair, spray the damaged area with color and blend the surrounding area to match, then remove the tape from the decals and clearcoat the complete panel. This is a easy repair but I would turn in the damage to my insurance company, a flying object hit you. This is a comprehensive loss, me I have zero deductible on comp so this would be covered 100% for no cash out of pocket. You may have a different deductible but it should still be pretty low.

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »

A quality painter will tape off the silhouette of the  "Decals" on both sides. He will then do the repair, spray the damaged area with color and blend the surrounding area to match, then remove the tape from the decals and clearcoat the complete panel. This is a easy repair but I would turn in the damage to my insurance company, a flying object hit you. This is a comprehensive loss, me I have zero deductible on comp so this would be covered 100% for no cash out of pocket. You may have a different deductible but it should still be pretty low.

My deductible is $250. Not too bad. But the fairing has a couple of gouges. So I don’t know if it can be repaired or if I should get a new fairing repainted. I got in touch with dave at cpv in Wisconsin. He’s gonna look at the pictures and let me know what my options are.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 03:43:19 PM »

The fairing is composite and can be repaired. While the composite is not the same as older Corvettes or boats, the repairs are. Not to make light of the damage but composites are pretty easy to repair. Many shops won't repair due to this not being a high profit job, like repairing a car door etc. But it is repairable, gouged or not. I am pretty sure HD has dropped your painted fairing from stock. Buying a new one will open a whole can of problems the least of which is to duplicate the Eagle. Someone in your area does high end custom painting, street-rods, custom bikes/cars etc. Find them and let them look at it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 03:44:53 PM by CVODON »

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 07:48:17 PM »

The fairing is composite and can be repaired. While the composite is not the same as older Corvettes or boats, the repairs are. Not to make light of the damage but composites are pretty easy to repair. Many shops won't repair due to this not being a high profit job, like repairing a car door etc. But it is repairable, gouged or not. I am pretty sure HD has dropped your painted fairing from stock. Buying a new one will open a whole can of problems the least of which is to duplicate the Eagle. Someone in your area does high end custom painting, street-rods, custom bikes/cars etc. Find them and let them look at it.
I got a hold of dave at cpv paint and graphics. He said it could be repaired and color matched. $780 if they don’t have to redo the eagle decal.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 10:14:56 PM »

I got a hold of dave at cpv paint and graphics. He said it could be repaired and color matched. $780 if they don’t have to redo the eagle decal.

I know that seems like a lot for what looks like such a small area of damage but, given what the part is, if it's work you trust I'm jump on it.  Replacements can't be bought so if he can make it look right that's fair. He'll have a surprising number of hours in making it right.

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 11:55:23 AM »

I know that seems like a lot for what looks like such a small area of damage but, given what the part is, if it's work you trust I'm jump on it.  Replacements can't be bought so if he can make it look right that's fair. He'll have a surprising number of hours in making it right.
That’s what I think also. Still trying to get one more estimate. State Farm only has car places they recommend. Trying to get a price to paint inner fairing also. Make it look like a cvo should.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 05:24:16 PM »

paint inner fairing also. Make it look like a cvo should.

Oooooooh; yeah :2vrolijk_21: .

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2022, 01:41:49 PM »

Oooooooh; yeah :2vrolijk_21: .
Great minds. I was thinking of having him paint the states blue pearl. The lighter blue. I like that color

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 03:41:30 PM »

CVP for sure..... :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 22 queries.