Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Bad luck? Bad Service? Bad Owner?  (Read 2613 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Bad luck? Bad Service? Bad Owner?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 09:25:38 AM »

Here is seat pressure

Kuuner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 12:13:08 AM »

The CVO 110 is more of a "tried and failed."  110 lifters have been failing since the first ones in '07.  Your dealer should have known just from being in the business.  Thousands of vacations have been ruined exactly the way yours was, and hundreds of thousands of $$ have been spent on hotels, rental cars, and transportation fees because of a blown engine. 

It's possible they did know and didn't tell you, especially if they're a busy dealer and know they wouldn't make much off a lifter replacement.  A less-cynical explanation is, the high staff turnover at dealers means there's no historical knowledge.

Either way, the HD CEO at that time was famous for getting every single part made by the lowest-of-the-low bidder, so he could cut costs while charging premium prices.  HD made boat-loads of money and his stock options were worth $500 million during his time.

Because of the metal shavings in the oil system, the only reliable fix is a replacement engine.  The half-ass "clean-out" jobs won't do it.  Then, change lifters every 20K miles if you keep stock valve springs.  You should read through the history in this section (TC) about some of the remedial measures available.

They did finally approve a new long block so, that's ordered. i'm going to replace the HD weak points with S&S. S&S lifters and S&S cams (Gear drive). What else should i put non HD?

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2022, 10:12:29 AM »

Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in, but I think you really need to check crank runout on the new long block before deciding on gear drive cams.   

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2022, 06:22:22 PM »

I'd say Finster is correct.  I don't know of anyone on here with a 110 with gear drive cams on a stock Harley 110 crank and cases.  The last you could do gear drive cams with a good success was the 103 motor that stopped in 2007.  Need to do some more home work but I wouldn't do the gear drive cams on a 110 stock.

Harley went cheap with the 110 regarding cranks, cases, and bearings.  It's a wonder we even buy these things.  My 2010 and 2014 110's didn't make it to 22,000 miles before the needle bearings in the rollers failed.    :soapbox:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 06:25:20 PM by Boatman »

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 09:21:22 PM »

I'm not a pro, but I would replace cams, but with chain drive for a stock engine.  I would also have the valve springs replaced as they are part of the problem (OEM is too stiff).  Consider having the heads done as the valves guides are a weak point as well.  You can get the heads shaved and add some compression.  For example, the S&S 570 cam is popular around 10:1 compression.  Make sure to have it properly dyno-tuned (not a canned map) by a competent tuner.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 08:56:34 AM »

it really hasnt been a secret that HD lifters are junk & CVO 110 heads (or any thing using SE valve springs) have too pressure.the 110 motor is a very good foundation to make a good,reliable higher HP/TQ motor,after replacing lifters,springs & inner cam bearings.add compression,cams & good head work (110 heads will flow in the 270 @ 28" area out of the box,330+ after porting,here anyway) and you can make very nice power.as long as your not doing hole shots or trying to do wheelies and your FW`s are within spec,you should be ok with gear drive cams
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.