Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best rear suspension for FLHTCUSE2 that will lower my bike a little(I am 250lbs)  (Read 1500 times)

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!

Hi guys, I am a 6' 3'' 250lbs guy that is looking to modify a little more my FLHTCUSE2 2007. The mods are the following: 1 - lower my bike by replacing my rear shocks while still having a great ride (considering my weight), 2 - Put a 21'' front wheel while keeping my front fender and 3 - Ape hangers 12'' or 14".

Now here is what I would need :
 a - Best shocks without going nuts in price
 b - Best looking wheels (that will fit my bike) for the best prices
 c - sites or company's with whom I can get the best prices for the best quality
 b - other ideas for mods????
Stéphane

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)

Hey Bob, great looking bike. For me, at 6'2" I would highly recommend going with 13" Legend Revo rear shocks, especially since you don't need lower shocks at 6'3". While these will not lower your ride, they will definitely enhance your riding experience in a very positive way and once you put 14" bars and a 21" front wheel on the bike (which I'm a huge fan of) you will achieve the look that you are going for AND have a fantastic ride and great handling.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:52:57 AM by rayson56 »
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

ric.sut32@gmail.com

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

Bob,
   You want a great ride and handling??? Forget the 21" That is for Adventure Bikes to step over ditches or straight line driving and profiling. As for shocks, the Ohlins Harley S36 Blackline Twin Shocks and their fork the Harley NIX 30 Cartridge Kit if they make them for your model. You will be blown away with you "new" bikes the rides and handles like a dream. They built a custom set for my 69 XLCH Sportster and 1984 BMW R100CS Last Edition. Hands down you can't do better. For my older bikes that Ohlins does not have cartridges for I use Race Tec Emulators and their complete set-up. Another first rate set-up pro supplier. I would not go any lower. Not needed and you with just start to grind parts on the road. I build for the ride.   

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/suspension-products/harley-s36-blackline-twin-shocks

Ric

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

Bob,
   You want a great ride and handling??? Forget the 21" That is for Adventure Bikes to step over ditches or straight line driving and profiling.

Ric

Handling is not effect much by a 21" font wheel.  You have to lower the front end 1 inch to get the rake and trail back to stock.  Less rubber means you feel the bumps a bit more.  My 03 Fatboy has had a 21" for 10 years now.  Rides great.  My 18 and 19 CVO Road glides are 21 from the factory.  They ride great and handle great.  I have put just over 65K miles on the 19.

As for big ADV bikes most run a 19" front.  Front on my Pan America is 120/70/19.  Same as the Big BMW ADV bikes
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ric.sut32@gmail.com

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

Interesting...   Then why are all modern super bikes running very small front rims for handling and off road very large fronts for "stepping" over ravines ?? The diameter of the front tire makes a big difference on the cornering and handling capabilities of the bike. Also aspect ratio and radius from equator to equator to mention a few parameters. Changing the rake and height also completely changes the performance characteristics. You design for the application. Maybe the application is just to look "cool". This happens. As a tire designer of 42 + years trust me on this one. I ran a 21" on my Harley in 1972 for a short period. I soon went back to the 19" and scrapped the extended "Chopper" front end that is only for profiling. I also put a Ceriani front end on my 69' XLCH Sportster in 1974 and dropped it to 1.2" under stock and all of the sudden I had a Sportster that handled quite amazing. Then not to long ago I added the Race Tech Emulators/Spring setup in the front tubes and Olin's built a custom rear set up shocks set for me for the old Magneto Sporty. I have been partnering Olin's for many years. All the best to all. Ric

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!

Well, I still went with the 21" wheel and I love it. The 16 inch ape hangers are make my drive a lot more confortable (no more back pain). I already bought the rear shocks (12" Legends Rev-A) and they will go on this spring. The next small mods will be LED lights and a Klock Werks Flare windshield and deflectors. I'll post another pic when done.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 10:10:35 AM by Bobgratton1969 »
Stéphane

ric.sut32@gmail.com

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

Nice looking ride!
    One thing for sure is there is not one set-up that works for all, and if it suits your riding style and comfort, that is all that matters.
I have been riding in your area for many years and I can see how that set-up would work for you. Not like the Blue Ridge
Mountains in the Carolina's were I live and ride. We have 15mph switchbacks dropping off like cliffs everywhere. It is a race track.
As you can see, my bike is set up for twisty's. There are no straight roads where is live. I really like the Metzeler radials also.
They handle great and the comfort improvements of a Radial carcass tire makes for a nice feeling ride. It dampens out the high
frequency harmonics from road surface inputs to the suspension.   
    Michelin has 3 plants in Nova Scotia and I have been going there since the 70's. Great People! Cool Music and Wonderful Seafood!
It's beautiful place to be and ride! .. after May. Those -20 deg C January days are a bit brisk for me.
   FYI lowing your suspension does detract from your cornering but most of the roads I have ridden up there were long sweeps
like the Sunrise Trail and the run out to Cape Breton on the Trans-Canadian Highway.
                     Enjoy! Ric

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

Having had Progressive, Ohlins and Legends, I can recommend without hesitation Ohlins and Legends. 
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others

Finally had to retire my Works shocks after 14 years on 5 different bikes.
Added Ohlins to my 2019 they seem to be working great. Had to upgrade the front forks to compliment the ride quality on both ends.
Definitely worth the $$$ for me.
👍
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:57:55 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others

Finally had to retire my Works shocks after 14 years on 5 different bikes.
Added Ohlins to my 2019 they seem to be working great. Had to upgrade the front forks to compliment the ride quality on both ends.
Definitely worth the $$$ for me.
👍

I added some “stealth” covers for the shock reservoirs, now my riding buddies won’t be asking questions!
HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.