Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 110 Engine Rebuild Cams and Pistons  (Read 897 times)

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
110 Engine Rebuild Cams and Pistons
« on: September 07, 2022, 04:31:06 PM »

2015 CVO Limited 110CI, twin cooled, Fuelmoto 2-1-2 header, 2.0" Fullsac baffles, PV

I need to rebuild my engine and halve almost gone crazy looking at all the dyno curves and not knowing if all the changes are listed such as head work. After doing all this reading and research I believe I'll get close in performance since I'm not matching any build exactly. Then the tuner comes into play. Trying to keep bottom end torque with a little left for the upper RPMs. I want to be able to cruise for a couple of hours even in 100 degrees and easily pass vehicles while at 0 to 8,000+ ft.

Current plan is to use TW-7 cam (Intake closes 40 degrees ABDC), Cometic .030 head gasket, bore jugs .010" over and use KB pistons with 4.2 CC dome to hopefully end up with about 10.2 : 1 static compression and about 200 to 210 psi cranking pressure. Seems KB is the only place I can find pistons with a small bump in compression. Keeping heads stock for now with standard valve job, new guides and lower seat pressure springs.

Questions:
KB high performance forged pistons, 4.010", have a skirt coating claiming install is almost line to line. Has anyone used these with success or heard of their use?

Any other pistons brands I missed with small bump in compression to get about 10:1 compression?
Am I being too conservative by limiting to 10:1?

Any better piston/cam combos? I know there are 1000's but anything that has really proven itself?

Thought about keeping stock pistons and using a TTS100 cam, but feel top end power will die at 4500 RPM. Maybe TTS1150 but think it works better with compression bump. It seems 35 degree and earlier cams work with stock pistons and thinner head gasket while maintaining good compression.

I've got the engine stripped down and ready to move forward.

Thanks for all advice in advance.

Jim

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
Re: 110 Engine Rebuild Cams and Pistons
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 05:30:49 PM »

By not touching the heads you are ignoring a major player in lifter failure.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 05:50:41 PM »

Are you close to http://www.metaldragonhd.com/index.html

Jim (hd dude) is extremely knowledgeable with the CVO's & does great work 
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »

Thanks for replies.

I feel by changing the valve springs to lighter load that I will be addressing the lifter issue. Just not doing any porting or polishing.

Unfortunately I'm in southern California and MetalDragon is in northern California, but I may still give him a call.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 06:12:17 PM »

Would have to agree with above, do yourself a favor while your in that deep do the heads.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 09:46:11 PM »

New guides, bronze manganese for tighter valve fit, improved Viton seals, and a valve spring upgrade (lightweight duals tool steel retainers 150# seat 400# open), Serdi valve job, and CC chambers would be the essentials, in my opinion.

Airflow improvements would be appropriate with the added compression and a longer cam to increase performance.

Personally, on my CVO 110, I didn't care about more power, but I went into the motor with a plan that in two weekend days, the work had to be completed, and this is precisely what I did. I wanted to address the CVO 110 known issues only in the interest of reliability. I changed to Timken cam bearings, Morel lifters, Smiths pushrods, and an Andrews 54 cam. It has all my original torque, a quiet valve train, and ten added horsepower. Not in the time budget to port the heads. I am happy with it for the little time I get to ride.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 06:05:54 PM by HD Street Performance »

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.