Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 CVO 110 Hard starting  (Read 919 times)

Clemmie64

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WV

2012 CVO 110 Hard starting
« on: September 13, 2022, 10:52:25 AM »

My CVO 2012 Ultra 110 when starting will crank over great, no start. Try again then battery will be too low.
Back on tender and in short time full charge, Hit the starter then it has been starting. I have had the battery tested and always around 14 volts.
I recently upgraded the stereo with hog tunes and have checked all the wiring to make sure no short to ground. I figure that was the last change to the bike.
So now ten day ride coming Friday and not sure I can rely on the bike to make it. I am getting a replacement stator on a suggestion but not convinced that's it. I was thinking crank position sensor but they work or the don't. At a loss and under the gun here, any help appreciated.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: 2012 CVO 110 Hard starting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 03:42:08 PM »

How old is the battery?
A battery can have good voltage but low amperage, That would be a cranks a few time then acts weak.
Did you test the cold cranking amps? Most of these batteries are rated at or around 400 cca.
Amps are needed to crank the engine and cranking RPM's are important for rapid start  up.
If the voltage drops below 9.5 volts the sensors information will be compromised, what voltage does the battery drop to while cranking?
Crank sensors can be a cause for no start, if the ECM doesn't RPM's.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 04:15:53 PM »

What Joel said ^^^

After checking battery:  Before going deep to replace stator, I would look closely at voltage regulator (VR).  HD got a large batch of lousy regulators during the 2012-ish time frame.  HD had a recall, but only for a small portion of the affected VRs.  Many of the bad ones were pulled from dealer's stock, but often they were sold to people who put them up on eBay.  They worked for a while (2 months to 15 months), then failed.  Bad VR leads to weak battery.

A question to clarify:  Before the first attempt to start, was the battery on a charger/tender?  Sometimes a weak battery causes hard starting.  HTH.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 09:27:11 PM »

voltage is only part of the equation on battery quality....you need to do amperage draw test.  reality is if battery is 4-5yrs old, time to change it out with a quality battery.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »

And the ACR passages in the heads get plugged. A CVO 110 with ACRs disconnected or not working cranks 225 psi!

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 08:06:22 AM »

if its cranking OK it should start,replacing the starter or regulator isnt going to help.id look for codes from a bad sensor (bad crank sensor would be my guess)

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.