Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SE 117 kit cam change questions  (Read 2386 times)

Rcloud72

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

SE 117 kit cam change questions
« on: May 15, 2023, 09:10:07 PM »

As the title states I have some questions about doing a cam swap on a 16 CVO RGU with the 117 kit installed in it. I bought the bike used and it already had the 117 installed in it. It runs good but the valve train is really noisy. It also runs way hotter than my last two bikes. ( both 103s) I realize the heat comes with more displacement. Or so I’ve been told. I got a set of Feuling 574 cams and a SE camplate and pump from a buddy very cheap bc he traded his twin cam in before he got around to installing them. I’m thinking of installing it this weekend but have a few questions. Will the 574 work with all the components that come with the screaming eagle 117 kit? I don’t have to worry about a piston hitting a valve or anything like that do I? Will I have to re-tune the bike when trading cams from the 259E to the 574? And I also have an Andrews +4 sprocket that I’m wanting to install as well. Would that  hurt that combination of parts? My reasoning behind the sprocket is because it fits so much tighter than the OEM and it would move the torque curve a little to the left if I understand what I’ve read about it correctly.  Any advice or info that you can give is greatly appreciated. 

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Re: SE 117 kit cam change questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 05:49:20 AM »

I would question how much of a gain, apples to apples, you would see from that swap, as the cam specs between the two aren't wildly different. You would also have to realize what that 4deg sprocket would do to the exhaust side events, with an exhaust open of 61deg on the 574 already, 4 more degrees will make that 65deg. If the kit is still producing 9.9:1 compression, neither are really suited until you bring that up in the mid to upper 10's. Just my opinion...

Rcloud72

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 07:35:26 AM »

Thx for the reply. I have thought of that and I still am not sure if I’ll use the new cams or not. I may just put in the plate and oil pump and leave it at that. Thx again.

So you think the + 4 sprocket would hurt engine performance in this application? 

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 07:13:22 PM »

are you sure the bike was properly dyno tuned by the previous owner?  Could be the reason it is running hot.  Assume it has a full exhaust on it (i.e. the headpipe has been changed).
It could be running a lean tune, which is causing the heat issue.  It might have an "EPA Compliant" downloaded tune, which is leaner and would cause it to run hot.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 05:07:01 PM »

You need to know where you're at now, with your cranking compression. Going to a Feuling 574 cam from a SE 259 will make the engine have MORE cranking compression. Building an engine is not about throwing parts at it  :o. You NEED to know where you're at every step of the way.
John

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 09:35:31 AM »

And why was the 574 cam pulled out? Best of luck on what appears to be a non-value added effort.
Sachs speaks the truth here. I am not a fan of the very thin spigots on those bolt-on cylinders either.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 09:49:31 AM by HD Street Performance »

Rcloud72

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 08:10:38 AM »

are you sure the bike was properly dyno tuned by the previous owner?  Could be the reason it is running hot.  Assume it has a full exhaust on it (i.e. the headpipe has been changed).
It could be running a lean tune, which is causing the heat issue.  It might have an "EPA Compliant" downloaded tune, which is leaner and would cause it to run hot.

The previous owner says the bike was dyno tuned when the 117 kit was installed. It runs decently other than getting hot. It doesn’t over heat. It just runs way hotter than my 103 did. It gets hot enough to make it uncomfortable fot my wife’s right leg to be on the floorboard at times. It has a D&D 2into1 exhaust ( either a fat cat or billet cat  not sure which one it is though. They look almost identical to one another )
I’ve pretty much decided to just install the camplate and oil pump and leave the cams alone for now. Thx for your help.  I really appreciate it

Rcloud72

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »

You need to know where you're at now, with your cranking compression. Going to a Feuling 574 cam from a SE 259 will make the engine have MORE cranking compression. Building an engine is not about throwing parts at it  :o. You NEED to know where you're at every step of the way.
John

I agree with you about needing to know where I’m at every step of the way. I have decided to install the camplate and oil pump and leave the cams  alone at least until I speak to someone about installing them for me. I think I’m going to wait and have some head work done that will hopefully help with the lifter issues These motors have and if I do change cams, it will be at that time but for now I’m going to except the fact that I just don’t know enough about building engines to take a chance for such a small  gain if any   Thx for your help

Ohio HD

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 08:24:40 AM »

I agree with you about needing to know where I’m at every step of the way. I have decided to install the camplate and oil pump and leave the cams  alone at least until I speak to someone about installing them for me. I think I’m going to wait and have some head work done that will hopefully help with the lifter issues These motors have and if I do change cams, it will be at that time but for now I’m going to except the fact that I just don’t know enough about building engines to take a chance for such a small  gain if any   Thx for your help

John Sachs is the man you want to speak with regarding possible headwork and what benefits to expect with specific cams, and to create a complete plan that will give you what you want.
2009 Ultra Classic ~ Bone Stock 96 inches
2008 Street Glide ~ Bone Stock 117 inches

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 10:10:49 PM »

John Sachs is the man you want to speak with regarding possible headwork and what benefits to expect with specific cams, and to create a complete plan that will give you what you want.
Couldn't agree more. Give John a call. You will be very happy you did
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 22 queries.