Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 70 tooth rear sproket + 49 tooth clutch basket ring gear..  (Read 9071 times)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
70 tooth rear sproket + 49 tooth clutch basket ring gear..
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:18 PM »

anyone know if there is a 70 tooth sproket that fits  07 CVO and a belt that will fit tht is one of the narrower belts  will also have the 30 tooth  transmission sproket.
if a person was to install a 49 tooth ring gear on the clutch basket  will the chain tensioner  still work?? or wil it require shimming or something .
thanks   
happy

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Re: 70 tooth rear sproket + 49 tooth clutch basket ring gear..
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »

Don't know about the drive sprockets.  The ring gear replacement will have no effect on the primary chain.  You will probably have to change the pinion gear though.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:49:23 PM »

anyone know if there is a 70 tooth sprocket that fits  07 CVO and a belt that will fit tht is one of the narrower belts  will also have the 30 tooth  transmission sprocket.
if a person was to install a 49 tooth ring gear on the clutch basket  will the chain tensioner  still work?? or will it require shimming or something .
thanks   
happy

Evo Industries sells a new clutch basket with a 49 tooth primary driven gear and with that comes a new longer primary chain.  I think it sells for about $324.

The new chain would need to be about 1.14" longer to allow for the 3 tooth difference.  That's just over .5" top and bottom on the chain and I don't think the auto tensioner would take up that much difference.  In the old days with the manual adjust tensioner, I think you could do it, but from what I've read the auto tensioner does not have that much stroke.  If a stock chain were to stretch that far, it would ruin both sprockets in no time.

I think it will do about an 8% increase in rpms with the new 49 tooth driven sprocket.  I've been thinking about the added gearing myself.  I really would like just a little more off the line for clutch release etc. 

To do the primary drive sprocket down to the 30 tooth, I think you use a V-Rod front sprocket and you lose the compensator at the same time. 

There have been several threads here about this very subject.  I didn't do a search, but all the costs, available sprockets etc were given several times.  Do a search and you'll probably get more than you need for information.  Both the drive and driven along with the rear hub sprocket have all been in the threads.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »

Evo Industries sells a new clutch basket with a 49 tooth primary driven gear and with that comes a new longer primary chain.  I think it sells for about $324.

The new chain would need to be about 1.14" longer to allow for the 3 tooth difference.  That's just over .5" top and bottom on the chain and I don't think the auto tensioner would take up that much difference.  In the old days with the manual adjust tensioner, I think you could do it, but from what I've read the auto tensioner does not have that much stroke.  If a stock chain were to stretch that far, it would ruin both sprockets in no time.

I think it will do about an 8% increase in rpms with the new 49 tooth driven sprocket.  I've been thinking about the added gearing myself.  I really would like just a little more off the line for clutch release etc. 

To do the primary drive sprocket down to the 30 tooth, I think you use a V-Rod front sprocket and you lose the compensator at the same time. 

There have been several threads here about this very subject.  I didn't do a search, but all the costs, available sprockets etc were given several times.  Do a search and you'll probably get more than you need for information.  Both the drive and driven along with the rear hub sprocket have all been in the threads.

Good luck.

well since i posted this i did contact  evolutions industries..  they gentleman i spoke to assured me it would work.said the did all the work for us i hate to think i would take the  46 tooth  ring gear off install the  49 tooth and find out i just wasted $325.  its on its way to my door now. i hope the man knows what he speaks,
will not get rid of the compensator on my bike   will run the 30 tooth sproket and  70 tooth rear pulley.. not even sure i  can do that to be honest.. so far i i have struck out. this is the 07 CVO Roadking  so getting the right pulley and the correct belt  seems to be a challange also..  question

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:18:47 PM »

well since i posted this i did contact  evolutions industries..  they gentleman i spoke to assured me it would work.said the did all the work for us i hate to think i would take the  46 tooth  ring gear off install the  49 tooth and find out i just wasted $325.  its on its way to my door now. i hope the man knows what he speaks,
will not get rid of the compensator on my bike   will run the 30 tooth sproket and  70 tooth rear pulley.. not even sure i  can do that to be honest.. so far i i have struck out. this is the 07 CVO Roadking  so getting the right pulley and the correct belt  seems to be a challange also..  question

By now you hopefully know that even though the ring gear is part of the EVO clutch basket chang assembly, the only sprocket to change in tooth count is the driven primary sprocket. That alone should have made a very noticeable change in low speed 1st gear and raised your highway cruise rpms in 6th gear.

So what is the status report on the 49 tooth basket change?

If the numbers hold true, this is a mod I would very much like to do. Not so much for highway rpms, but more for two up takeoff rpms.

So please let us know what it's like now.

Thanks.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »

By now you hopefully know that even though the ring gear is part of the EVO clutch basket chang assembly, the only sprocket to change in tooth count is the driven primary sprocket. That alone should have made a very noticeable change in low speed 1st gear and raised your highway cruise rpms in 6th gear.

So what is the status report on the 49 tooth basket change?

If the numbers hold true, this is a mod I would very much like to do. Not so much for highway rpms, but more for two up takeoff rpms.

So please let us know what it's like now.

Thanks.

i will let you know  when i get the  motor put back together. ran into some issues with this buildi was not expecting.  i did change myu m ind on the  change to a 3:37 gear. i instead went to the  3:15 which i feel is plent good. if not i will switch it out later.. i will use the 49 toloth evo ring gear. then the 70 tooth  rear pulley and then leave the stock 32 tooth transmission pulley as is. all i have to do is swithc the 32 trans pulley to a 30 tooth and  its then a 3:37 gear.   my guess this byuild is gonna be give or take on 120 hp and tq so it should pull it pretty decent. in 6th is what i like about the gear swap.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:07:05 PM »

i will let you know  when i get the  motor put back together. ran into some issues with this buildi was not expecting.  i did change myu m ind on the  change to a 3:37 gear. i instead went to the  3:15 which i feel is plent good. if not i will switch it out later.. i will use the 49 toloth evo ring gear. then the 70 tooth  rear pulley and then leave the stock 32 tooth transmission pulley as is. all i have to do is swithc the 32 trans pulley to a 30 tooth and  its then a 3:37 gear.   my guess this byuild is gonna be give or take on 120 hp and tq so it should pull it pretty decent. in 6th is what i like about the gear swap.

Either one of the three changes should give a pretty good increase in low end take off power and rpms.  But with your build and doing all three, lower the drive sprocket in the primary, increase the tooth count on the clutch basket driven primary and then doing the rear belt drive changes; man you're looking to do what we used to do to our trail 90's with like an 80 tooth rear sprocket that half the size of the rear wheel.

Do you really think you need all the gear reductions you're going to be doing?  Just asking, like I said, you're low gear is going to be like a granny gear in an old truck 4 speed; 5 feet and you're in second gear.

It's your project and you've got a plan, I wish you luck  But I don't think your clutch basket 49 tooth results will be relevant to my application.  I'm just running V&H Dresser Dual, their Oval mufflers, SE AC and a PCMIII.

Still be interested in knowing how it all turns out when you're finished.

Thanks for the update.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »

Either one of the three changes should give a pretty good increase in low end take off power and rpms.  But with your build and doing all three, lower the drive sprocket in the primary, increase the tooth count on the clutch basket driven primary and then doing the rear belt drive changes; man you're looking to do what we used to do to our trail 90's with like an 80 tooth rear sprocket that half the size of the rear wheel.

Do you really think you need all the gear reductions you're going to be doing?  Just asking, like I said, you're low gear is going to be like a granny gear in an old truck 4 speed; 5 feet and you're in second gear.

It's your project and you've got a plan, I wish you luck  But I don't think your clutch basket 49 tooth results will be relevant to my application.  I'm just running V&H Dresser Dual, their Oval mufflers, SE AC and a PCMIII.

Still be interested in knowing how it all turns out when you're finished.

Thanks for the update.
                                                                                                                              The low gear is too tall on the 07 anyway.. it will be ok on the bagger. The  low gera in case you haven't noticed at slow speeds its womething  to contend with and slip your clutch as the pow speeds and it also  is a hassle in traffice that is chugging along.  It is worse yet if you have got some mods to the motor.  There are some good benifits to going to the 3:15. there are many that go to the 3:337 and like it a lot..  one thing is when ya don't get it downshifted into low it will take off in second pretty decent. all in all i feel it will be a nice change. but then wil have to wait to find out. one thing i can always go back to a stock setup. or replace the  70tooth  real pulley witha  68 tooth or even go to the 66 again ..  on a light bike  it would prolly be good but the touring bikes are a differant story. at least to me.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:20:50 PM »

::)

I'm new here and just did a quick scan of the various "replies".......My old 2001 RK had the 3.37 final gearing that I think some of you are after and I want it too......on my new scoot.

HOWEVER.........as I see mentioned here.....the (compensator) is NOT included with the 30 tooth deal from Evolution Industries or whomever it was.   I have been told that on a heavy bike, you do NOT wanna eliminate the compensator..........so I have backed off of making this change.

If someone here has ignored the (lack of) a compensator and went ahead with this conversion..........I'd like to know the results. ::)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »

you can still go 3.37. just run the 70 tooth rear pulley, and 30 tooth transmission pully. installed the 49 tooth ring gear on the clutch basket. and it where you want to be.     
happy

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »

If someone wants to go the full gammit they should consider the Baker DD7. A friend of mine had it installed in Daytona & it made a world of differance. It's quite an expensive way to go but this way you get off the line torque plus the 7trh gear is great for hyway speeds..He has a basically stock 07 Ultra & it pulls fantastic off the line. I'm seriously considering doing the same.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »

If someone wants to go the full gammit they should consider the Baker DD7. A friend of mine had it installed in Daytona & it made a world of differance. It's quite an expensive way to go but this way you get off the line torque plus the 7trh gear is great for hyway speeds..He has a basically stock 07 Ultra & it pulls fantastic off the line. I'm seriously considering doing the same.
a huge pile of money.just would have to ride one to see if its all the much differant..  could be a good setup  regardless  , would a few hours of  riding before i would even consider one.  and be  the cats meow
Happy

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »

If someone wants to go the full gammit they should consider the Baker DD7. A friend of mine had it installed in Daytona & it made a world of difference. It's quite an expensive way to go but this way you get off the line torque plus the 7trh gear is great for hyway speeds..He has a basically stock 07 Ultra & it pulls fantastic off the line. I'm seriously considering doing the same.

My understanding with the Baker DD7 is that high gear is STILL the same as the HD Cruise Drive 6 speed.  High in either is 1:1 ratio.

The 'advantage', if that's what we want to call it is that splits the 6 speeds into 7 speeds and give a bit lower low gear which is exactly what the HD Cruise Drive needs.

As far as the HD Cruise Drive goes, I would not be against it being a bit wider ratio'd, as in more low gear with a bit wider span between the same 6 gears.  The rpm drop is minimal now and these new motors can handle a bit of a power drop, especially when you a little faster and shift at around 4k to 4.5k rpms.  The drop in rpms would only be closer to the peak torque so I think it would be great.  I would gladly run a wide ratio trans to get the lower gear for take off.

Just my opinion on the wide ratio thing.  I think we should push HD for the fix and not someone else.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »

well i have a friend here that is a builder and  pushes  the  Baker 6 speed> i would have to have  have  some serious saddle time to see the benifit before investing..  i feel the 3:15 gear wil be decent and if thats not enough  then going to 3:37 should be but i not sure i want to spool the bike that haed running say 80 mph on a lonmg haul.   i guess i have done it yeaers ago riding to Sturgis on the evo bikes so these new bikes or my 07 should handle it. lots of shifting too.  but may be a worthwhile venture.  how much money?   4 grand or so?

Happy

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »

you can still go 3.37. just run the 70 tooth rear pulley, and 30 tooth transmission pully. installed the 49 tooth ring gear on the clutch basket. and it where you want to be.     
happy
:coolblue: If ya go with the above combo,  have you not dorked up your speedo as to "accuracy" ::)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

:coolblue: If ya go with the above combo,  have you not dorked up your speedo as to "accuracy" ::)

the speedo will be off, but its a fix the tuneing device  i use will fix, so they say.. Will use the TTS Mastertune and it can correct it.
Happy

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »

well i have a friend here that is a builder and  pushes  the  Baker 6 speed> i would have to have  have  some serious saddle time to see the benifit before investing..  i feel the 3:15 gear wil be decent and if thats not enough  then going to 3:37 should be but i not sure i want to spool the bike that haed running say 80 mph on a lonmg haul.   i guess i have done it yeaers ago riding to Sturgis on the evo bikes so these new bikes or my 07 should handle it. lots of shifting too.  but may be a worthwhile venture.  how much money?   4 grand or so?

Happy
The cost installed at the rallies @ the Baker booth is around $3,400.00 with fluids etc. A lot of money but I really like how they have the gearing for the first six gears.If you can sell the original Cruse Drivefor around a grand its not quite as painful.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.784 seconds with 21 queries.