Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Hawg Wired 4 Channel Kits  (Read 8240 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: Hawg Wired 4 Channel Kits
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 08:08:21 AM »

Based on evidence found on Jock's homepage, we will only see a pic if there is are girls there in his fairing  participating in a wet t-shirt contest!

Jock, bizarre was an attempt (for some reason) at being diplomatic earlier.  Barring other evidence the story at least raises the possibility of failing the sniff test.  When you go to look take [highlight]your camera to document what's inside the fairing[/highlight].  If nothing else it'll allow comparison to what should be there.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 11:08:32 AM »

How bizarre.  What in the world was changed and to what end.  If you're staying with the stock radio that's part of the SEEG it's already an upgraded radio.  Hard to imagine much they could alter that, if the thing was still working, would also dramatically alter the HawgWired installation.

Really sorry you're having to put up with the hassle Jock.  Will stay curious about what you find out.  

Good luck!

Don

Just got back from the shop...Tech was off for the day, however was given some additional information. The radio is having to be replaced, in addition to a wiring harness.

It appears that my previous thoughts were true.  I always thought there was something wrong with the radio.  Most of the time, it never played with a stereo effect.  Apparently, the previous owner of the bike had some work performed or he conducted the work himself.  In conducting the work, they rewired the stereo in an attempt to patch the original issue.

Bottom Line - New radio, New wiring harness...Good thing I purchased the extended warranty.

The additional parts install looked good...As a matter of fact, I changed out the horn cover like yours (Twolane)...I like the lines on it.  It will be a like whole new bike...

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 11:17:08 AM »

Just got back from the shop...Tech was off for the day, however was given some additional information. The radio is having to be replaced, in addition to a wiring harness.

It appears that my previous thoughts were true.  I always thought there was something wrong with the radio.  Most of the time, it never played with a stereo effect.  Apparently, the previous owner of the bike had some work performed or he conducted the work himself.  In conducting the work, they rewired the stereo in an attempt to patch the original issue.

Bottom Line - New radio, New wiring harness...Good thing I purchased the extended warranty.

The additional parts install looked good...As a matter of fact, I changed out the horn cover like yours (Twolane)...I like the lines on it.  It will be a like whole new bike...

Jock;
What wire Harness? If it is the CVO Radio overlay harness you do not need it with the HW setup. In fact you do not want to use it!!. The outputs from this harness are already amplified. You need to use the non-CVO speaker wires in the fairing. They are tapped back on the harness.

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 09:27:53 PM »

I ordered the Hawg Wired 4 channel kit from hd-dude (Jim) today with a set of component speakers for the fairing and performance speakers for the rear. Jim was very helpful in the decision making process on whether to go with speakers in the lowers at this time. Thanks Jim…  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2006, 09:38:31 PM »

Jock;
What wire Harness? If it is the CVO Radio overlay harness you do not need it with the HW setup. In fact you do not want to use it!!. The outputs from this harness are already amplified. You need to use the non-CVO speaker wires in the fairing. They are tapped back on the harness.

Thank you sir...I will check with the tech to confirm which harness we are speaking of and inform them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2006, 03:06:01 AM »

Thank you sir...I will check with the tech to confirm which harness we are speaking of and inform them.

Jock, find that thread that gave pics of the install of the 06 Harmon Kardon radio in my red bike.  One of the pictures in there showed the "other" or "stock" set of speaker wires that you'll want to be using with the outboard amp.  

That overlay harness could actually be completely removed from the bike for your purposes.  I'd actually go ahead and let them replace it with the radio since they're doing it under the extended warranty though.  As Jim said just make sure they run the new outboard amp through the "stock" speaker wires.  

With the bad harness and radio replaced, however, should anything ever fail in the HawgWired package all you'd have to do is swap which set of speaker wires you're plugging in to the speakers to again gain an amplified audio source from the radio's own amp.  It wouldn't be as good as the HawgWired amp package.  But it's a lot better than the "stock" radios that the non CVO bikes got.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2006, 09:13:57 PM »

Jock, find that thread that gave pics of the install of the 06 Harmon Kardon radio in my red bike.  One of the pictures in there showed the "other" or "stock" set of speaker wires that you'll want to be using with the outboard amp.  

That overlay harness could actually be completely removed from the bike for your purposes.  I'd actually go ahead and let them replace it with the radio since they're doing it under the extended warranty though.  As Jim said just make sure they run the new outboard amp through the "stock" speaker wires.  

With the bad harness and radio replaced, however, should anything ever fail in the HawgWired package all you'd have to do is swap which set of speaker wires you're plugging in to the speakers to again gain an amplified audio source from the radio's own amp.  It wouldn't be as good as the HawgWired amp package.  But it's a lot better than the "stock" radios that the non CVO bikes got.

Thanks...excellent feedback.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2006, 11:04:28 PM »

Thanks...excellent feedback.

With the original setup replaced not only do you get a brand new radio; you're gaining redundancy for free.  That's always hard to turn down.

irabraun

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »

Just a quick note. Ordered 4 channel kit for my 06 SEEG form Jim after speaking to him on numerous occasions. He was gracious enough to answer all my questions. In addition, he provided real-time guidance to the installer (took him 4 hours). Sounds awesome. If you are the type who will not be satisified until you get the best sound (imho) buy this. I wonder if a subwoofer could be added into the mix?

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 06:48:30 PM »

I'm here to tell you that the HW 4-channel system is awesome!! We installed it (with Jim's guidance) and it is well worth the money spent. I absolutely love it.

Jim, Thanks a million for your time and patience!!!

Rick
2006 FLHTCUSE
Red Shift 575 gear drive cams
Heads ported & polished
Zippers hi flow air filter
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »

Has anyone purchased only the speakers and grills for putting speakers in the lowers? I assume you would need a amp to drive them, but why not any Pioneer, Sanyo etc with input from the speaker outputs on the OE radio and use the four outputs (2 Frt speakers, 2 Rear speakers) from the new amp?
This seems so simple, and amps are cheap so I am confused as to why the more expensive units from Hawg Wired etc are so popular. I must be missing something here. As long as the output ohms are the same for the amp as the inputs from HD radio why would there be any problems?
Anyone have any ideas?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 10:43:54 PM »

Has anyone purchased only the speakers and grills for putting speakers in the lowers? I assume you would need a amp to drive them, but why not any Pioneer, Sanyo etc with input from the speaker outputs on the OE radio and use the four outputs (2 Frt speakers, 2 Rear speakers) from the new amp?
This seems so simple, and amps are cheap so I am confused as to why the more expensive units from Hawg Wired etc are so popular. I must be missing something here. As long as the output ohms are the same for the amp as the inputs from HD radio why would there be any problems?
Anyone have any ideas?

DW that's a perfectly acceptable option.  I've put two Sony head units in using the intermediate kit to still control the radio from the handlebar controls.  Used those radios without any outboard amp and they've done fine.  The buys buying still gained XM, MP3 capability and anything else you'd be looking for.

Total cost of buying the radio, the controller hardware, the mounting hardware and other little odds and ends actually wasn't cheaper than just the HawgWired amp kit by itself.  But both of these guys were on 05 or earlier bikes so were looking to gain XM and MP3 that wasn't possible with the old radio.  So relative to a new radio added to the mix too they did spend less money.  

If someone has the Harmon Kardon radio with CB and XM and intercom and other bells and whistles than adding an amp to factory radio is really about the only good option.  And this amp really is far and away the most effective I've seen for the bike application.  But depending on what you're starting from and how you're wishing to end up the HW amp kit certainly is not the only option nor necessarily cost effective.  Just need to figure out what your end goal is and then compare parts.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.