Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: automatic primary chain tensioner  (Read 2508 times)

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
automatic primary chain tensioner
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:59:10 PM »

Need someone to comment regarding the HD ratcheting type tensioner. I installed mine 2000 miles ago on my 2004 FXSTDSE2 and checked it yesterday. I found the chain to be on the tight side of a cold adjustment. (didn't need to measure as I knew it was tight). I need to know if anyone else who has one would share their thoughts about the tension. I know there isn't anything that can be done to loosen the chain as the adjustment is "automatic". The reason I went with this (installed it myself after reasearching the others) is to prevent the chain from lugging at slower speeds. The chain is not making any unusual noises nor does the bike act any different. I just would like to know if the "tight side" of adjustment is normal.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: automatic primary chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »

Need someone to comment regarding the HD ratcheting type tensioner. I installed mine 2000 miles ago on my 2004 FXSTDSE2 and checked it yesterday. I found the chain to be on the tight side of a cold adjustment. (didn't need to measure as I knew it was tight). I need to know if anyone else who has one would share their thoughts about the tension. I know there isn't anything that can be done to loosen the chain as the adjustment is "automatic". The reason I went with this (installed it myself after reasearching the others) is to prevent the chain from lugging at slower speeds. The chain is not making any unusual noises nor does the bike act any different. I just [highlight]would like to know if the "tight side" of adjustment is normal[/highlight].
johnlee,

The actual cold spec is 5/8" to 7/8", so if you mean it is at 5/8", that is fine.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:21:32 AM »

Does the Hayden tensioner have a audible sound you can hear when the bike is running slow?
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:38:03 PM »

Does the Hayden tensioner have a audible sound you can hear when the bike is running slow?
103_RK,

For the first couple hundred miles after install, I thought I could hear a slight noise.  Since then, nothing different than before the install.  It was probably the new tensioner shoe wearing in.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:25:11 AM »

Thanks GRC, I bought a Hayden automatic tensioner for my Sportster I used to have a few years back and didn't like the different sound it made.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 01:43:19 PM »

How is the Harley product in compairison?  Thinking of using this one - want to know if it makes any noise...
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.