Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet Another Failure FLHRSE3 (2007)  (Read 1392 times)

donald.e

• donald.e
Yet Another Failure FLHRSE3 (2007)
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:35 AM »

Was getting a bit of a bit of a knock from the front end of the Motor was undecided from where at is seemed to be coming from, so bit the bullet and decided rip it apart and have a good look, glad I did see photo

Haven't looked at the Cams & Lifters yet.

Anyway, I'm looking  for your suggestions in Bolt on Replacement Parts, I haven't the time to get things machined and would prefer to keep the same Heads.

I would be looking at Cylinders, Pistons, Cams, Lifters, Rods and probably Valves, springs & Guides.

I have heard a lot of talk about Axtell

UK based suppliers or US who willing ship  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:10:51 AM by donald.e »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Yet Another Failure FLHRSE3 (2007)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:48:31 AM »

Looks like a snug fitment......and then some.
Scott

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:57:21 AM »

Bore & hone your stock cylinders, freshen up the heads if guides and valves are needed not a huge deal. You can check the crank run out when you get more of the engine taken apart. May not be as bad as you think.  Was the bike tuned, pic of piston top and underside. Heat may have been a large factor in this. As stated it got tight, but something created that.. bike would not have run long being that tight from the start.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:04:28 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Ohio HD

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »

I think that's what it looks like too Scott, or maybe even the cylinder went out of round? It sure looks like a tight fit from the wear marks.
2009 Ultra Classic ~ Bone Stock 96 inches
2008 Street Glide ~ Bone Stock 117 inches

donald.e

• donald.e
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »

The bike has had no changes since day one, V&H pipes with fuel pack and screaming eagle heavy breather the only none std parts the pistons are have very heavy deposits of carbon.
Only done just short of 30k with all sorts of types of riding short slow town, with longer main road rides.
Sadly we are not blessed with a hot climate so not overheating stuck in traffic.
I don't know really feel confident to bore/hone but that could just me being paranoid! I will ans a matter of course change the tappets, valves, springs and guides might as well as they are off, the cams also show signs of wear and could do with changing.
I don't have an endless financial backing, and I don't want to make some crazy power machine, but a bit more mid range would be good.
So what I'm saying what cams, tappets, push rods, and valve springs would you guys suggest?
I know you say use the stock cylinders and pistons, but what else have you used or suggest?

After Further examination on strip down had look at the Flywheel/Connecting Rod Assy, the front Rod has quite a bit of movement both laterely and veridically, there is also quite a bit of ware in the Pinion Housing (see photo)
Another worry is the base of the Connecting Rod, (see photo) would this be normal looking at the Bluing these have been very hot
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:26:48 PM by donald.e »

donald.e

• donald.e
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »

the other photo!

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »

The bluing on the big end of those rods is from being induction hardened prior to grinding the rod roller clearences.
The Mocos way of bulding a rod to duck out of installing hardened races that were once replaceable.
Scott

donald.e

• donald.e
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »

Thanks Scot

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 24 queries.