Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO 117 build- any suggestions  (Read 2029 times)

Jamesw2066

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

CVO 117 build- any suggestions
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »

So after doing the Harley 117 upgrade on my 2016 CVO I have decided to Tear the motor completely down and do a Darkhorse crank, T-MAN’s heads, reworked jugs and pistons, 662 cam and HPI 62 mm throttlebody with 5.3 injectors. Also doing S&S oil pump and cam plate.  and gear drive for the cams, lifters and p-rods

The  previous work consists of rev tec air ride and scorpion clutch and baker compensator. The base 117 kit.

The reason for this is I have been extremely unhappy with the production quality of my CVO 110/117 in its stock form. It’s somewhat of a rattle trap in my opinion. It is one of the noisiest engines I have ever heard and currently has 16,000 hard miles on it. I have heard many other street glide in regards with the same 110 engine that don’t sound at all as noisy as mine but Harley never would address the issue on my concerns when I bought the bike they just said tolerances from the factory vary  thus the engine noise don’t get me wrong I love the bike but when I compare it to a professionally built 103 Stroker Rd. King that I own, the feel of the engine and noise, vibrations are unacceptable on the SG.Am i missing anything that needs to be done to this to frankly make the 117 water cooled engine  as nice as it can be.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: CVO 117 build- any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »

Balance, compression on low side, no need for head work other than better guides seals and a valve job, slow bleed lifters, valve springs with appropriate pressure, rigid pushrods, rocker lockers, a cam with mild ramps, forged pistons that fit snug (4032 alloy) with Line2line coating, cases bored and full compliment spigots on the barrels. It is a 117" motor, it is big. It does not need cutting edge anything to be fun to ride. At 1.05-1.1hp per cubic inch (will require mild headwork to get there) built right and tuned properly with a decent pipe it can be very comfortable and trouble free. Move up and the care and feeding increases, octane requirement, noise, heat, and vibration.

Contrarian I know. Very few realize what they ask for they get, a high performance engine. Now they realize they gave up some to get there besides money. Next they start the cash throwing to chase the problems. Better to start with as clean of a sheet of paper as possible and look at what needs to be changed and what doesn't. Many of the HD OEM parts are fine, others not. Set a realistic goal. This will get you a cool running quiet twin cam, as smooth as you can get but it still is an uneven fire Vtwin
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:12:58 AM by HD Street Performance »

Jamesw2066

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »

I agree with your comments about chasing HP. What can I say I'm a hotrodder, cant leave anything alone.I hotrod everything.
Just pretty dissatisfied with the 117 as compared to the 103.and I get that the RK is much lighter. But the RK balanced and everything and it runs like swiss watch with big cam and all.

Additionally when the bike was a 110 stock and brand new, I questioned the way it sounded and shook from day one.
I'd Put it up side by side with other SG's and mine always seemed tp run a lot rougher than others.
2 different dealers and  a private shop said "it is what it is" some are just sloppy.
So I guess I'll see what another 10K does.lol

I have already committed and have most of all this waiting to go in, The heads have all the upgrades to guides etc and I went with Fueling 4050 lifters.
Just wondering if I had missed anything.
Thanks for the reply.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »

As a mechanic in the 1970s I used to work with a shop owner that had the same excuse. "That's just the way they are". These were high end cars, Mercedes. I got a laugh.
Well crank runout specification is <.012" is accepted. If you were on the high side or over it would be rougher than most. Issues with motor mounts can make things bad also. What you describe is not "normal" or "common". That said it will never be as smooth as an even fire 4 or 6 cylinder.
Good luck with the build.

grim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2019 Limited
    • CVO2: 2009 Softail Springer
    • CVO3: 2016 Limited
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 01:37:37 PM »

I'm wondering if you had done the crank the same time as the 117 kit you'd be happy.
Reason being is I have a 2016 Limited that has the same problem and i'm about to do just that. Only problem is the more I read the more confused I get.
Good luck with your build.
Good Enough is not Good Enough!

Jamesw2066

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »

The first build was top end only and was really done because the 103 in the road king was spanking my 110 CVO. My kids rides  the RK and I wasn’t having that. The 117 kit made a huge difference in hp and torque with a proper tune. Knowing what I know now I’d have done it all at one time. But Hard to justify pulling a brand new bike still under warranty apart. This is just about as far as you can take a watercooled 117 so I’ll post all numbers for everyone. The other best upgrades I did was scorpion clutch and full Revtech suspension.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »

110" CVO "Water Buffalo" in for a 117" kit. I had to put a set of S&S wheels in it, because of excessive run out. It will get cams, head work and HPI throttle body, along with the other incidental parts.
John

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:54:01 PM »

I know it has been a while since you asked your question. But if your looking for a quieter engine in addition to what has already been said make sure that the Rocker side play is looked at too.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »

John.  Looks like you have an interesting build there.   I like it. 👍. Stuart

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.