Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Helmet or Not?  (Read 12924 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Helmet or Not?
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2007, 11:37:44 AM »

Educate, don't Legislate is my stance on "safety" devices.

As far as the argument about paying for bikers with head injuries, that is lame.  In my state alone, I am paying for thousands of peoples healthcare, some illegal aliens.  I would not mind adding a couple of bikers to that list and in most cases, they have their own coverage ,which I know increase everyones premiums. But at least they most likely had a job and paid taxes.

Dale Earnhardt was wearing a helmet.  Hard hits to the head cause damage to the brain as it goes from 60 to zero inside your skull. 
A helmet will help in the scraping type external contact scenarios. As posted earlier, helmets change the injury, but the fatality rate does not.

One more thing:
If a woman can decide to terminate a human life, How come I cannot decide whether or not I want to wear a helmet?  Taxpayers pay for abortions as well.

my .02
 :soapbox:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »

We take risks with virtually everything we do.  Some slip in a shower.  Some are hit while crossing the road (on foot).  Many more are hurt or killed in auto accidents.  Some get the West Nile virus. 
  If I knew for a fact that I would be in a motorcycle accident the next time I ride, would I want to be wearing a helmet?  Absolutely.  I've been in two pretty bad ones.  No helmet either time.  Second one split my head open.  (First one, just a broken bone and road rash).  I wear a helmet once in awhile.  I kind of go by "gut feeling".  But most of the time when it's nice enough to ride, and the weather's warm, I don't like the restriction of a helmet.  Also, wearing a helmet is like any other habit.  If you do it all the time, it becomes second nature.  Before I got into the Harley thing, I always wore a helmet.  Now it feels uncomfortable, becomes a hassle when I park, and seems to increase ambient noise.  Especially the noise from the motor and exhaust. 
  I don't buy the argument that you're safer without a helmet.  However, I'm sick and tired of having our freedoms regulated out of existence.  -That's my 2 cents.   :coolblue:  the SG 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »

Biggest risk I ever took was telling my Ex wife she didn't sweat much for a fat girl.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2007, 01:03:29 PM »

Biggest risk I ever took was telling my Ex wife she didn't sweat much for a fat girl.

Very good!!!!  LOL

But I bet you were wearing your helmet when you said it................
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2007, 07:38:51 PM »

It seems to me that the older I get the more I want to wear safety protection when I ride. I have been ridding almost 38 years.( I started early)  I wear steel toe boots, My leather jackets have body armor in them. I wear gloves and perception safety sun glasses.  However I just can't get that helmet on.  I have one, just hate to wear it.  One of the reasons  I love to ride is having the wind  and sun on my face and in my hair.  I have a friend who was in the Air force in Germany. He and a friend were late comming back from leave ridding their bikes.  In a hurry and ridding in an area they were not familiar with, a corner came up on them and my friend laid his bike down. He slid on his back, feet first along the road and under the Gard rail. Everthing was OK until his full face helmet caught the Gard rail and snapped his neck and spine. When the ambulance arrived whey took him to the local hospital were the doctors wanted to take one of his legs off because of the damage to his spine.  The Air Force stepped in and life flighted him to a better Hospital . Today he has one leg almost 2 inches shorter than the other .  The Helmet both helped and hurt him in this crash. Ridding at a slower speed( education) would have prevented this accident.  Education and Experience, It's more important to prevent the accident. Our Government can't always protect us.  let us decide if we want to ride with the helmet or not!

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »

I like being able to make the choice.  I usually wear the lid, but have been known to pull it off in states that allow.  I got a rear ended at a traffic light in '03 and was thrown back onto the hood of the car that hit me.  I was wearing a helmet and had a concussion and a cut that required nine stitches to close.  I'm not sure what it would have been without the helmet, but I'd guess that I would have had a split skull instead of just a split scalp.

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2007, 11:11:47 PM »

We take risks with virtually everything we do.  Some slip in a shower.  Some are hit while crossing the road (on foot).  Many more are hurt or killed in auto accidents.  Some get the West Nile virus. 
  If I knew for a fact that I would be in a motorcycle accident the next time I ride, would I want to be wearing a helmet?  Absolutely.  I've been in two pretty bad ones.  No helmet either time.  Second one split my head open.  (First one, just a broken bone and road rash).  I wear a helmet once in awhile.  I kind of go by "gut feeling".  But most of the time when it's nice enough to ride, and the weather's warm, I don't like the restriction of a helmet.  Also, wearing a helmet is like any other habit.  If you do it all the time, it becomes second nature.  Before I got into the Harley thing, I always wore a helmet.  Now it feels uncomfortable, becomes a hassle when I park, and seems to increase ambient noise.  Especially the noise from the motor and exhaust. 
  I don't buy the argument that you're safer without a helmet.  However, I'm sick and tired of having our freedoms regulated out of existence.  -That's my 2 cents.   :coolblue:  the SG 
I have a saying that goes " If your born to hang, you'll never drown". That doesn't mean that I try and test either of them tho.  With this being said, I have a trip planned in a state where I have to wear a helmet. I have purchased two. A full face and a half lid style.  I will find the best type for me and will sell the other on e-bay.

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2007, 07:37:18 PM »

I am actually getting used to the full face and never thought I would. I guess you can get used to anything if your motivated enough, at least in my case.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »

Did anyone read today's USA Today article on helmets?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »

Did anyone read today's USA Today article on helmets?
Hadn't read it, but I can now and so can anyone else interested...

Pro-helmet lobby has been scarce

Efforts to pass new helmet laws intensify

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:39 PM »

Hadn't read it, but I can now and so can anyone else interested...

Pro-helmet lobby has been scarce

Efforts to pass new helmet laws intensify

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Attaboy!

You da man!

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2007, 12:59:47 AM »

To Quote 2 Lane:
"From the date of passage all passengers on the back seat of a Harley Davidson motorcycle, while said motorcycle is transiting any Federal road or highway or any state road or highway ever supported in any way by Federal funds, shall be barred from wearing brassieres of any kind in the interests of public safety."

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21: 
Now Don, that's the best legislations I've read in draft form in many, many years!!

:worthless:

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2007, 01:06:53 AM »

To Quote 2 Lane:
"From the date of passage all passengers on the back seat of a Harley Davidson motorcycle, while said motorcycle is transiting any Federal road or highway or any state road or highway ever supported in any way by Federal funds, shall be barred from wearing brassieres of any kind in the interests of public safety."

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21: 
Now Don, that's the best legislations I've read in draft form in many, many years!!

:worthless:

Joe

Joe, some of the other debates may be interesting purely for the sake of discussion.  But that's the only rider legislation I really care about  :2vrolijk_21: .

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2007, 09:42:21 AM »

Might be new to the site, but have been riding for thirty years and will always wear a helmet; my choice.  A rider on the local Shriner's Drill Team died a few years ago at less than 5 MPH.  He was just moving his bike (without his helmet) across the parking lot to set up for the next practice and went down.  It does not take much if you hit your head.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »

Might be new to the site, but have been riding for thirty years and will always wear a helmet; my choice.  A rider on the local Shriner's Drill Team died a few years ago at less than 5 MPH.  He was just moving his bike (without his helmet) across the parking lot to set up for the next practice and went down.  It does not take much if you hit your head.

Chaos, so true, I have a buddy that bought a Honda store back when the cars were with the bikes and later sold the bike op off.  While he had it though he got sued and lost for selling an inner tube to a guy that installed it himself on a Honda 90 and then a year later the buyer sold it to another person.

The second person was riding with a girlfriend.  Stopped to let her off when the rear tire went flat.  At a full stop as she got off she hooked her toe and fell hitting her head on the curb, at full stop.  She died in a day or two having never come out of a coma.

My friends insurance company lost the case in court, product liability/poor installation wheatever, they lost.

At a dead stop, no helmet, lost life, you never know when tragedy will hit.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 24 queries.