Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: BATTERY LIFE / SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT BATTERY  (Read 2728 times)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
BATTERY LIFE / SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT BATTERY
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:02:04 PM »

I've got an '04 V-Rod with the original battery.  The bike has something over 7500 miles on it.  I usually keep a trickle charger on during the winter months, but I recently had the battery go down after not riding the bike for about a month.  I'm guessing that I'm probably due for a new battery and have a couple of questions.

1.)  What is a typical motorcycle battery life?  There may be nothing typical about the life of a battery, but I'm interested in other's experience.

2.)  I saw some motorcycle programming on the SPEED Channel that discussed what was supposed to be an improved battery design.  The battery was filled with gel rather than water.  The indication was that custom bike builders liked the design because the battery did not have to be installed with the posts up.  Does anyone know anything about this battery design?  Is it better?  Does it provide more amperage?  Longer life?

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
Re: BATTERY LIFE / SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT BATTERY
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:14:52 PM »

I replaced the ORIGINAL FACTORY battery in my '99 Dyna Low Rider in June. I kept a "tender" on the bike regularly. The battery still cranked like new. The only reason I replaced it was that my Indy said that it was likely that the bike would just QUIT one of these days.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:44:59 PM »

Knock on wood... My '04 still has the original battery. Keep it on a Battery Tender when ever it is parked and put away.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:43:38 PM »

I would follow everyone's advice about the battery trickle charger. I use one and usually get about 5 years out of a motorcycle battery. My mechanics and many articles say that is very long life for a small battery. They say about 3 years and they should be replaced to prevent getting stranded since the new style of maintenance batteries don't always show a slow death like the old batteries. They die suddenly on you.
I have read some articles on gel and other type technology for batteries and you need to be careful how the battery is made,it may require a different type of charger to avoid improper charging and destroying the battery. You need to take the advice of the battery manufacturer as to the rate of charging.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 02:50:02 AM »

Just replaced the battery in the red bike.  Three years old.  Had not acted up.  Didn't want it to.  Three years is just when I replace a bike battery.  Approximately 30 bucks a years seems cheap to a) not to have to kick start and b) avoid the sudden ane unexpected crapped out battery that is just going to happen someday.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:19:46 AM »

Just replaced the battery in the red bike.  Three years old.  Had not acted up.  Didn't want it to.  Three years is just when I replace a bike battery.  Approximately 30 bucks a years seems cheap to a) not to have to kick start and b) avoid the sudden ane unexpected crapped out battery that is just going to happen someday.

You  got that right Don! I 've said this before. For the cost of a battery, it's not worth playing around. I replace it every 2-3 years max. I don't understand why people try to see how much life they'll get out of it. You will get stranded one day playing that game. Just not worth it to me. Consider it as maintenance and not as a part. Keep it on a battery tender and replace it every 2-3 years and you'll never have battery problems (until something craps out in your charging system, that is)! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:19:11 AM »

I recently experienced the "dead battery" phenomenon.  Rode it to work all week, parked in the garage Friday night, got up to go riding on Saturday, and the battery was as dead as a hammer...one of the cells was completely dead.  It was four years old, and went out completely with no warning, so I now have joined the "replace every three years whether it needs it or not" group.  As has previously been stated, it's cheap peace of mind.  Keep it on a Battery Tender Plus and replace every three years, that's my recommendation.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 08:42:21 AM »

PHAZE,

The secret to long life with a lead-acid battery is never letting it sit in a discharged state, which leads to sulfation and permanent loss of capacity.  As many others have said, keep a Battery Tender hooked up anytime you won't be riding for more than just a few days.  I've had batteries last as much as 6 years doing this, but I agree with the others that it would be best to replace it before that.  I just think 2 or 3 years is too soon, 4 years is closer to the sweet spot for a modern lead-acid battery that is maintained properly.

There is a lot of confusion about "gel" batteries, with many people using that term for any sealed battery.  A true "gel" battery has the electrolyte "jellied" by adding a silica material until it becomes a thick paste.  This makes for a battery that can be used in any position and that won't leak if broken open.  This type of battery can be found in things like laptops and portable power tools, but is rarely found in motor vehicles.  They typically have less capacity than the same physical size AGM or standard battery, and require specialized charging systems for optimum performance.

Another type of sealed battery is AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat.  This type uses just enough liquid electrolyte to keep the fiberglass mats wet, and there is no excess liquid so this type also doesn't leak if the case is broken.  The AGM type is what comes stock on your Harley.

The best bet is to stay with the AGM type battery.  Your bikes charging system was optimized for that type of battery, and the AGM provides the same leak free, multiposition advantages as the "gel" battery at a lower cost.     

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »

Regarding battery life: What others have said plus where you live is a big factor.  In Arizona, where a garage can get up to 120 for 100 plus days a year we get substantially shorter battery life even with tenders.  I replaced the battery on my 03 in 06 after it failed.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »

Knock on wood... My '04 still has the original battery. Keep it on a Battery Tender when ever it is parked and put away.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Me too.  I remember when it was roughly once a year for a battery for a bagger.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »

For less than $50 you can get at least 5 to 10 years out of today's  sealed battery's if you keep them on a charger when the bike is not in use.

The Battery has changed since the days of lead acid when every two years change it out was the way to go. When the Bikes come out of the crate the dealership does not have time to fully charge them so most of them don't ever get off to a good start.

If any Modern touring bike sits for more than two weeks it will need a jump - no matter how old the battery is. The ecm & the clock & the alarm battery will suck the power out of it.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 02:03:21 PM »

I knew that this was the place to ask!  Thanks for all the input!

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 02:29:49 PM »

Another part of the equation is how old in the battery, not the bike.  I replaced the batt in my 05 SEEG at two years (in late '06)...   The mfr date on the battery was 2003!  WTF! says I...   
so I squeek at the stealership for getting old parts on my bike and he says " Nah, It was still new when installed since it hadn't been used..."   
I just shook my head, said "thanks for making my cat look smart", and bought a battery elsewhere...   
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:20:20 PM »

Keep it on a Battery Tender Plus and replace every three years, that's my recommendation.
  :2vrolijk_21:

Yep, what he says has been my experience. You can get them on sale occasionally and it's one less thing to worry about on the road.
Joe

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »

I have been getting 5 yrs our of our motorcycle batteries lately - I could probably go longer if I pushed it.  Batteries have improved drastically.  Years ago, if you got two years you were doing good.

I think it is important to try to keep the battery from being exposed to long periods of sub-freezing or extreme heat.  My garage is climate controlled - never below 45 degrees and never over 85 degrees.  And, if you are not going to be riding the bike for a week or so, hook up a trickle charger.

IMO, when you replace a battery, don't go cheap - you may regret it when the battery leaks acid and causes damage.  Get a good sealed battery and take care of it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »

If any Modern touring bike sits for more than two weeks it will need a jump - no matter how old the battery is. The ecm & the clock & the alarm battery will suck the power out of it.
Actually, the alarm will go into "storage" mode after 21 days.  I learned this first hand, recently, after not riding my bike for a month.  I wasn't able to dis-arm the security system with the fob.  Had to do it manually, using the turn signals.  In getting into the owners manual to disarm it is when I learned about the "storage" mode activating automatically, to keep from running the battery down. 

I don't remember exactly how long it was since I'd rode it but I think it was four or five weeks.  Once I got it disarmed, the bike fired right up......the way it always does.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 24 queries.