Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Non standard fuels  (Read 4233 times)

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
Non standard fuels
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:22:36 AM »

When we checked into our motel in Waynesville last week, I ended parking my bike next to my bike  [smiley=drink.gif]. I was looking to see what he had done to his and noticed that the inside of his pipes was white and thought it unusual. I ran my finger in the pipe and it was like chalk. The owner Michael siad he had filled up with  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I forget the name now, something like cam103 or something. He also said he puts plane fuel in there. He claimed that this does not harm the engine. [smiley=shocked2.gif]
I've never heard of this before and was wondering if others have done this. I have a hard time believing it does not adversely affect the bike over the long run.[smiley=behead.gif]
2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2, Freesom package, HD2003 pcIII map
2003 Road King Classic 6 speed big bore forged pistons cnc ported heads 251 cam race tuner rinehart true duals

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Non standard fuels
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:28:53 AM »

When we checked into our motel in Waynesville last week, I ended parking my bike next to my bike

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:12:01 PM »

He was probably talking Cam2 gas. I run it in mine when I can.

Why???????????????????????

1)  Cause it makes "Red" very happy.  [smiley=laugh.gif]
And you know what "they" say, a happy bike is a fun bike!

2)  At $2.45 for 93 premium,  the little bit more I pay for 110 is pennies to me (damn I sound like KNG)

3)  It smells soooooooooooooo good!

4) It works well with my "Joy Juice" mixture.

5)  Have run it for years. Have a good source also.

6)  Started using it when I pulled the trailer with the 98 evo ultra. Spark knock was history!

7)  All my bikes will run on 87, but I happen to think a 30K+ bikes deserves only the good stuff.

8)  Did I mention it smells sooooooooooooo good?

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:45:32 PM »

He was probably talking Cam2 gas. I run it in mine when I can.

He said he had gaz'd up in Ashboro [smiley=drink.gif]. I don't recall seeing anything like this locally (Greensboro-Winston), but then again I never looked for it [smiley=shocked2.gif].
Doesn't the bike have a problem when you go back to the premium? [smiley=cry2.gif]
2003 Road King Classic 6 speed big bore forged pistons cnc ported heads 251 cam race tuner rinehart true duals

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 12:46:59 PM »

4) It works well with my "Joy Juice" mixture.

Joy Juice?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 12:53:16 PM »

if you have a race track near you - the stations near them carry racing fuel 106 octane - that is what i ran last week end - did i also say it SMELLED GOOD - what a huge hp gain - makes the lawn mower cut better also - really smells good - the stuff i get from grand prarie tx in 55 gallon drums is awesome - talk about white interior of pipes - mmmmm smell that [smiley=givemebeer.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 12:54:45 PM »

Kinda like drinking Bud Light, then doing a Yager Bomb, then going back to the Bud!

You have asked a question that requires a factual answer.
My answer is I don't know. Hasn't seem to affect any of my bikes.

Wait
OK, better answer than the Bud Light response.
If you run 87 all the time and then run a tank of 93, does it hurt to go back to 87?

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 12:58:38 PM »

I'll have to go ride around Rockingham or even Martinsville VA, both within 30 minutes.

I'm still curious though. I use regular in my truck but in the car it started with regular then I put mid grade and ran better so I thought go for premium. Then I tried to go back to mid grade and BAM, click clunk click clunk click up front. [smiley=brood.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 12:59:02 PM »

Also run it in my weed eater and leaf blower.

When I put it in the leaf blower my neighbor came out and asked if I had bought a new leaf blower.

Shovelhead is right! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

It smells soooooooooo good!

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 01:15:27 PM »

Also run it in my weed eater and leaf blower.

When I put it in the leaf blower my neighbor came out and asked if I had bought a new leaf blower.

Shovelhead is right! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

It smells soooooooooo good!

[smiley=laugh.gif] I'm getting ideas here, mower running a little rough this spring.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 01:26:15 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, ufo,
 The white residue as opposed to the black, idicates the engine is burning CLEANER fuel.  The higher the octane, the hotter it will burn, thus producing a slight Horsepower gain, and a reduction in carbon.  It will not damage your Motor in any way.  If anything, it helps it!  The only thing it damages is your funds!  I use Blue Fuel when I can find it, which is 112-114 Octane.  It cost $5.25 per gal. in Beckley, WV, today.  It will be all used up by the time I get to "Maggie Holler", so hd2003 won't get to smell my fumes! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 01:32:40 PM »

Doesn't higher octane fuel [smiley=nixweiss.gif], burn slower producing more horse power?
hdnut

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 01:34:54 PM »

Blue Fuel,,,,,HMMM, 110 low lead aviation gas is blue, thats how you tell that the plane has the correct fuel. and it smells soooo good. I wonder if the blue fuel is in fact 110 low lead?
MObe

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 01:35:41 PM »

No "Tater" No
I will take care of you!

I found us some 110,,, I think in Waynesville!

Thanks for your post.

Glad we have an expert [smiley=nervous.gif]on this stuff!

I'm paying 3.19 in Charlotte for Cam2 110
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 01:39:55 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 01:38:37 PM »

Blue Fuel,,,,,HMMM, 110 low lead aviation gas is blue, thats how you tell that the plane has the correct fuel. and it smells soooo good. I wonder if the blue fuel is in fact 110 low lead?

"Tater" keeps talking about blue fuel,, 112 or 114

The Cam2 110 is purple

Did I mention it smells sooooooooooooooo good! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 01:40:31 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 04:54:27 PM »

Having served as a Navy Air Squardon Line maintance Officer, and if my memory serves me correctly: 80 octane is red (what most civilian small planes use) 90-110 is brown, 110-117 is green, 120-135 is blue and 115-145 is purple.

I once put some purple in a YDS-5 Yamaha- 2 stroke. Changed piston that afternoon.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 05:08:44 PM »

Having served as a Navy Air Squardon Line maintance Officer, and if my memory serves me correctly: 80 octane is red (what most civilian small planes use) 90-110 is brown, 110-117 is green, 120-135 is blue and 115-145 is purple.

I once put some purple in a YDS-5 Yamaha- 2 stroke. Changed piston that afternoon.

But at most general aviation airports anymore all the ratings aren't available.  It's pretty much just 100/130 (100 lean and 130 rich) and 100LL with the LL being "low lead."  Lead?  Yeap, that's right.  Aviation fuel is still leaded.   Along with the differences in derived octane levels AvGas is leaded for a lower volatility mixture and for a much lesser tendency to evaporation (which is important at altitude with lower atmospheric pressures).

That doesn't mean that small plane engine won't run on pump gas.  A lot of them do; both legally and illegally.  To do it legally they used to have to apply for an STC (special type certificate) which was a document to keep in the plane's logbook that which proved the FAA said it was ok to use pump gas in your aircraft.  I honestly don't know if it's so commonplace for small aircraft anymore that the STC is no longer required.  Given the FAA's penchant for ratings and certifications I'd doubt it.  But wouldn't be totally surprised either way.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »

I run the Cam2 110 and Spectro synthetic 2 stroke oil in the Gas Gas!

Makes it sing a new song!

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 05:46:49 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, sailordb,
 The Blue Fuel I use is the same fuel the Dirt Trackers use in their Late Models.  I was told by the Local Distributor is was 112-114 Octane.  Aviation Fuel may be different, but then again, what the Hell do I know?  I just like the smelllllll!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 11:34:52 PM »

Sailor DB
The 110 low lead that I put in my plane is blue. No doubt about it. It's light blue, but blue none the less. And yes it does smell really good. A real clean smell. Almost an alcohol type smell. On planes that have leaky check valves it leaves distinctive blue stains.
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 11:37:44 PM »

While I was writing that last reply I got to thinking about the best internal combustion smell that I have ever smelled, castrol R exhaust from my old RM370 Suzuki motocrosser, man that brings back some good memories.
MObe
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.