Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Helmet Locks?  (Read 8322 times)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Helmet Locks?
« on: July 19, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »

anyone lock their helmet? if so whats the best one to use? mine was stolen right in front of the courthouse ( i geuss thats where all the criminals hang out and no i was just there dropping some papers of for my daughters school) it was at little hard to be inconspicuas on the yellow seeg for 75 miles home with no helmet! :bananarock:

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
Re: Helmet Locks?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

I'm interested, too. My HJC half-helmet is nasty enough that nobody would want it. The new Nolan with the Scala Rider Q2 just looks like it's worth more.
I used the Harley helmet lock on the old bike for some years when parked in questionable areas, but not on the pumpkin. The Harley lock is mounted on handlebars or other bar and locks through the d-ring. Nolan doesn't have d-ring!  :nixweiss:

:-Jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

charlie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »

Iuse the one harley sells I put it on the crashbar. It does'ent look bad and it works good.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »

I wonder how long you could get by riding w/o a helmet in the 'helmet states' using the tale of 'someone just stole my helmet' line?  :-\ har! spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »

I'm interested, too. My HJC half-helmet is nasty enough that nobody would want it. The new Nolan with the Scala Rider Q2 just looks like it's worth more.
I used the Harley helmet lock on the old bike for some years when parked in questionable areas, but not on the pumpkin. The Harley lock is mounted on handlebars or other bar and locks through the d-ring. Nolan doesn't have d-ring!  :nixweiss:

Good point. :-\  More and more folks are using the Nolan helmets so that's an issue.  I am probably too trusting and just hang or set mine down on the bike most times.

I wonder what is a good option for the Nolan or other helmets that have a similar chin strap? :nixweiss:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »

Gun Cable Lock...small but decent protection...feed it through the chin guard
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »

I guess that's probably the only solution, but where do I carry one on the FXR? ???

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »

I guess that's probably the only solution, but where do I carry one on the FXR? ???

A big ole shiney chromed chain slung over your shoulder would look great!  :P har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 09:13:16 PM »

This looks pretty good.  Should work with just about any style helmet.  Mounts anywhere you can mount a bolt.  Keep the cable in your pocket until you park.

http://www.boltlockcorp.com/

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »

Nice find, lilbear! :2vrolijk_21:  You wouldn't even have to carry the cable around if you did a mount like this or similar:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »

anyone lock their helmet? if so whats the best one to use? mine was stolen right in front of the courthouse ( i geuss thats where all the criminals hang out and no i was just there dropping some papers of for my daughters school) it was at little hard to be inconspicuas on the yellow seeg for 75 miles home with no helmet! :bananarock:

Depends on where I am - base I leave it on the seat.  Rest of the time I drop it in the left bag, or carry it with me.

Sucks you can't trust folks, thievery pisses me off .  Sorry to hear you had it stolen!

Sean

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »

Ah, yes... however, the N42 is a 3/4, with no 'face hole'. Looking at the helmet, maybe feed the cable through the little fabric loop on the chinstrap  :nixweiss:

I wonder... drape two very fine wires over it . . . attach an old Ford spark coil . . . activate with remote . . . :devil:

Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »

The Q2 is quick detach and I would certainly take it with you when you leave the bike, then lock the helmet.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 08:03:42 PM »

The Q2 is quick detach and I would certainly take it with you when you leave the bike, then lock the helmet.
For sure, the so-called 'headset' pops off and goes into the neat little sack Cardo provided. But the mic is still on the helmet. Helmet is still on the bike. Helmet still has no real good way to lock it.

Hey, how about one of those rubber, fake 'vomit' pads placed under the visor?  :)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »

Hey, how about one of those rubber, fake 'vomit' pads placed under the visor?  :)
Allllright.  Now we're getting somewhere.  :worthless: har!  spyder

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »

That is a nice locking system for your helmet.
like many people I sometimes hang the helmet on the bike and walk away, or Carry it with me.
And that back up helmet just in case someone needs a ride. Yes that locking system seems to be the
answer.  Thanks for the info

Jo Mo NYC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »

Have had an entire tour pak stolen off the SEEG.  But never had anyone walk away with a helmet.  The Nolan and the accessory electronics makes locking at least a consideration though.  I hate the idea of another key to carry around though.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 06:31:26 AM »

Have had an entire tour pak stolen off the SEEG.  But never had anyone walk away with a helmet.  The Nolan and the accessory electronics makes locking at least a consideration though.  I hate the idea of another key to carry around though.

where??  that sucks.

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 09:01:23 AM »

I never worried about locking my HJC moduler until I put the $200.00 com set in it. Then it seemed more important. Now I have a Nolan N-102 Blue Tooth and I always put it in the TP or I use a cable lock for an semi-auto pistol. (someone mentioned it earlier). It at least makes it inconvient to steal. 

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 09:29:34 AM »

I have 1 that fits the crash bar just above my cruise pegs and 1 on the saddle bag guard.  Use them most of the time.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »

where??  that sucks.

Bike was sitting in the parking lot of the local shopping mall.  I wasn't inside more than half an hour.  Came out and had one of those weird "what's missing" moments wondering for just a second if I'd had the tour pak on or not.  It is detachable; and someone did.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »

For sure, the so-called 'headset' pops off and goes into the neat little sack Cardo provided. But the mic is still on the helmet. Helmet is still on the bike. Helmet still has no real good way to lock it.

I am going to try that, GREAT idea!
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

The small locks that attach through the D rings on your helmet only result is having your chin strap cut and helmet still gets stolen.

I carry a bicycle type cable lock from Home Depot. It has an inline combo lock. Long enough for 2 helmets or a helmet and jacket. They come in different lengths. When not needed, it coils up and get stowed in a saddle bag. I run it through the face mask as mentioned above.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »

We made a cable up from plastic coated 3/16" wire bought from Home Depot.  They have the crimping tool right there to use to make your end loops with.  You can make any length you want and it coils up smaller than anything else out there.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »

Bike was sitting in the parking lot of the local shopping mall.  I wasn't inside more than half an hour.  Came out and had one of those weird "what's missing" moments wondering for just a second if I'd had the tour pak on or not.  It is detachable; and someone did.

That happened to my brother in Law. Found it in the middle of the road a ways down the road. They Pried it open, took camera &  other stuff & pitched it out of an open window when driving. No detachables for this dude. THE MUFFMAN

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »

I leave enough room in my SE Ultra tour box and keep either my 1/2 or 3/4 helmet inside the top trunk.  I lay them upside down and store gloves inside the helmet. 
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

Here's a short write up of the cable lock that I use.
Real convenient as the cable just winds up in the puck... very compact.

Bike Lock

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 11:18:32 PM »

In all of my years of riding , I have never locked up a helmet and I have had only 1 stolen in front of a Biker bar.............dam# bikers.........
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Snake Pliskin

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

Move to a non helmet required state then it won't get stolen.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 11:03:09 PM »

Move to a non helmet required state then it won't get stolen.

Maybe that is why I have not had a helmet stolen since the helmet the helmet law got repealed
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.