Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2009 Sturgis Attendance  (Read 4307 times)

Ultra2010

2009 Sturgis Attendance
« on: December 02, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »

The "official "Sturgis web site still has not posted the attendance and traffic count for 2009.  Not sure when they do post that.....  ?
Seemed to me attendance was down this year compared to other years.  About two weeks after the rally I was reading in one of the local papers "blogs" or comments area that the local residents and businesses said it was down.  I know this rally is VERY big business for the area and I was just wondering if they are avoiding posting low numbers, which would have an effect on the number of vendors for the following year.....anyway, just wondering what some of you think. 

I'll be going in 2010 but only staying 2 nights cuz I'm tired of the hotel price gouging.... yeah I know, I'm cheap and getting cheaper as I get older.
(shows don't it, riding a 40K motorcycle... who would of thought...)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: 2009 Sturgis Attendance
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:02 AM »

The vendors that are there every year could probably tell you the attendance number as well as anybody.  The best time to go is when the headcount is down.  You can actually get around a little better and see a few things and rides, etc.

Not sure if I'll make it next year but if I do, it'll be the week before.....for the reasons stated above.....and cheaper hotel rates. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:41 PM »

We went this year but for the first time stayed on Main Street. There was quite a turnout and we plan to go this year as well. Will probaby saty in Deadwood this time only 11 miles out and lots of fun all on its own.

Many of the seasoned Rally goers seem to be going the week before to avoid the crowds and save on costs. We rode 1590 miles in 3 days it rained the 4th it was some of the most amaizing riding in this country so far :2vrolijk_21:

we definitely dont want to miss it in 2010
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »

Went there this year as well and will be heading back next year  :2vrolijk_21: I too will be there the week before Rally week to avoid the crowds. :coolblue:
Hawg

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:21:34 AM »

We are planning the same trip the week before the rally. Interested in the riding more than the partying. I hear the availabilty of rooms and other necessities are not in much of demand and there is still alot of people there to "ride".

I'll be following this post to get other members input...
:-X

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:20:57 AM »

Love the bike that model was on my short list! Sweet ride! Maybe we'll see you there?
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »

What do you want to know?  I get all sorts of statistics.

Estimated Attendance:
2009 = 442,163
2008 = 414,917
2007 = 507,234

DOT Traffic Counts:
2009 = 394,009
2008 = 405,475
2007 = 461,507

Taxable Sales - Temp Vendors:
2009 = $10.1M
2008 = $10.4M
2007 = $11.7M

Vendor Licenses Issued:
2009 = 903
2008 = 901
2007 = 1,043

Mt. Rushmore Traffic Counts:
2009 = 78,236
2008 = 58,054
2007 = 78,469

Tax Revenue - SD
2009 = $404K
2008 = $418K
2007 = $563K

Tax Revenue - City of Sturgis
2009 = $202K
2008 = $217K
2007 = $235K

I have complete demographics and behavioral info too. I did notice most of the CVO members that attended were rather stingy with the tips this year.   :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:40:05 AM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »

No one gets an accurate count of attendance, it's just impossible. Living in the middle of the Hills, I can tell you attendance was way down in 2008 and even less in 2009. This year was the first year I wasn't riding in a traffic jam every where I went. I doubt there were over 350,000 this year total.  Vendors reported lots of looking but a lot less buying. Waitresses reported tip down from 20% to 10% and plenty of getting stiffed by customers as well. There was also a lot of housing that did not rent out for the rally.

The biggest crowd is starting to come early each year, and some come late. Many started in June, July to get good pricing and enjoy the hills with no traffic. This year was the most bikes I have seen here in early summer. 

jb

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »

Went there this year as well and will be heading back next year  :2vrolijk_21: I too will be there the week before Rally week to avoid the crowds. :coolblue:

We didn't go this past year, but attended in '06 and in '08.  In '06 we got there the beginning Sunday and had the rally all week and left for home the following Monday.  We didn't find a lot of trouble getting around, but there were still lots of bikes.

In '08 I made the decision to mid week and we got there later Wednesday night, Keystone that is.  We went to Sturgis on Thursday and then back on Sunday for the deals on shirts for friends etc.  We stayed and rode the next week and left for home on Friday.  Even though we had great weather and the riding scenery was great, we did miss the excitement at the different locations and seeing all the campers etc.  If we go back again, we will go during the week of the rally.

If you're going to go just the week ahead, why even go then.  Why not go some other time when you know there will be good weather and no residual rally congestion?  We found in Keystone that the room rates were not all that much better until Monday the following week.  They told me that if we didn't like their price, someone else will.  Now that there have a couple years of reduced activity on rooms, there may be some good deals during the rally week.

:jack:

For my wife and I though, we're really looking at doing something else than going to Sturgis this year.  We've talked about Daytona, but if you're not into partying (we're not), the riding around FL is not that great from a scenery standpoint.  Granted there are SOME good looking places, but just riding through flat land with some scrub plants here and there is not my idea of fun riding.  You FL guys, please don't hit me too badly on my observation as I'm not overly familiar with FL.  Been there a few times and enjoyed the weather, but that's about it.

Myrtle Beach is one that we looked at possibly too, but with the town being so anti biker now, I don't think that's going to happen either.

We have friends that live in TN about 25 miles from the Dragon and that sounds fun.  But is there lots of "other" riding in that area a well?

The past two trips to Sturgis have been with the bikes in a trailer, so next time we plan to ride to our destination etc.  Living in the center of the country so to speak, St. Louis MO, are there any suggestions?  We may just ride south into Arkansas and spend some time riding in that area, just don't know yet.

;D  ;D  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Dean_Nelson

• Full CVO Member
  • Now it is a DFT Tike
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »

From a Vendor point of view.......

Got their on Monday of the week be four as we must be set up and open by the next day, this is at Rapid City H-D.

only had small groups until Friday. It was good Friday to Tuesday than it all droped off, we had packed up and left Sat by noon.

Cost is out of hand.....$9500.00 to park the rig at RCHD, rent house in the Hills for two weeks $6000.00 than food for the two weeks for eight..........gas out and back for the rig $1250.00

So $17,000.00 approx cost, we need to know that 6 trike kits are sold as a result of the show to break even.......

That has not happen in the last two years.

We keep going to Sturgis, if you dint show up they think you are out.

Of the 7 shows we use to do, we now only do Sturgis.

Dean Nelson
2008 FLHX BAGGER CUSTOM
2006 FLHTCUSE
2004 SEEG  SOLD
2002 V-ROD AS A CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING 95TH
1982 GS1100E
1977 XLCR ONE OWNER 600 MILES
1970 XLH MY FIRST H-D 1800 MILES
1963 CUSHMAN 7500 MILES

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »

No one gets an accurate count of attendance, it's just impossible. Living in the middle of the Hills, I can tell you attendance was way down in 2008 and even less in 2009. This year was the first year I wasn't riding in a traffic jam every where I went. I doubt there were over 350,000 this year total.  Vendors reported lots of looking but a lot less buying. Waitresses reported tip down from 20% to 10% and plenty of getting stiffed by customers as well. There was also a lot of housing that did not rent out for the rally.

The biggest crowd is starting to come early each year, and some come late. Many started in June, July to get good pricing and enjoy the hills with no traffic. This year was the most bikes I have seen here in early summer. 

jb
You would be surprised how accurate statistics can be after the raw info is analyzed and cross validated amongst multiple sources.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Ultra2010

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »

Some of you were talking about going the week before, I'm in the same boat on that.  I was looking at the Quality Inn in Rapid, (exit 59) and they start their rally rates before the rally, they too know a lot of us are looking for deals, so I guess they want to crush our less expensive good time!  I don't mind paying "a little more" but when I'm paying over $200 for something that is available for a less any other time just pi$$es me off.  Last year I walked in to the Quality Inn (I camped last year) and asked about getting a room (I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday) as I was just wondering if they were full.....  well they had rooms available!  This year I may stay farther out since I only do downtown once anyway.....  As the spring approaches I think I'll post the different hotel rates and cancellation policies here on the forum for all to see............  I know the Quality Inn has a very poor cancellation policy (in my opinion) for "bike week" as the manager called it.   When it was the Holiday Inn they seemed to treat customers better.  I'm banging them pretty hard cuz I think they should treat customers better and yet it's about my favorite place to stay when I get one of the 100 series rooms on the back side of the hotel, its as social a place as I've found, with parking right outside your door and the wash rack being located back there also...  Nice or not for me anymore it's all about the price........

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

For my wife and I though, we're really looking at doing something else than going to Sturgis this year.  We've talked about Daytona

We have friends that live in TN about 25 miles from the Dragon and that sounds fun.  But is there lots of "other" riding in that area a well?
;D  ;D  ;D

The bride and I are doing Daytona in March expect it to be crowded (What National Rally isn't?) but the break from the Midwest winter will be very welcome by then :2vrolijk_21:

We did go to Hog 24 in Knoxville it was great riding (no trailers) The Dragon is fun as long as you use common sense. There is also the Foothills Parkway (http://www.fromthehandlebars.com/news/2009/apr/24/foothills-parkway-loop/)and The Cherahala Skyway (http://www.cherohala.com/) all beautiful riding. Even the ride around to the South of Deals Gap running to Cherokee and backNorth ) through the Smoky Mountain National Park is wonderful too! You can visit the old towns (Now part of the park) of Elkmont above the campground of the same name and Cades Cove.

Definitely worth the trip if you get in the mood for the tourist trap then Dollywood is there too.
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »

For us in the west, Sturgis used to be the mecca and that was the annual pilgrimage.  But over the past couple of decades we've had so many more pop up....Redwood Run, Laughlin, Street Vibrations, Vegas Bike Week, etc.  Who can make them all?  Sturgis is no longer the front runner for so many....not like it used to be.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

flj64d

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »

Nice bike. I bought the same exact one 2 weeks ago..............
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.