Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What order do you do a total detail?  (Read 7433 times)

Sean M Cary

Re: What order do you do a total detail?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »

Sean,
       Like I said, PM Screamin_Beagle. He's got this awesome portable lift he'd like to get rid of. All of us have table lifts so nobody close by needs it. I know he doesn't want much for it, just would like to pass it along to someone who can use it.

B B

Size?  Price?  Both are a limiter to a Government Service type!  I was 2k over LAST move - need to make LtCol so I get the extra weight and the extra $$ flow...will know Jan 09 if that comes true!!

Sean

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »

Size?  Price?  Both are a limiter to a Government Service type!  I was 2k over LAST move - need to make LtCol so I get the extra weight and the extra $$ flow...will know Jan 09 if that comes true!!

Sean

What I've seen with guys in the Navy I know trying to get stuff forward shipped is the vendor's won't ship to a FPO or whatever you call it in the Marines. It's large, about 50" long by 30" wide and maybe 10" deep folded up. Weighs about 75lbs I'd say. Price- - - I have no idea, send a PM as I suggested. All I know is you have a chance to buy 4 times the quality lift here that the ones that Sears and the autoparts stores sell for a fraction of the new price.  Ok, nuff said by me on this. It's your choice.

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »

What I've seen with guys in the Navy I know trying to get stuff forward shipped is the vendor's won't ship to a FPO or whatever you call it in the Marines. It's large, about 50" long by 30" wide and maybe 10" deep folded up. Weighs about 75lbs I'd say. Price- - - I have no idea, send a PM as I suggested. All I know is you have a chance to buy 4 times the quality lift here that the ones that Sears and the autoparts stores sell for a fraction of the new price.  Ok, nuff said by me on this. It's your choice.

B B

Done

Thanks!

Sean

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »

Sean,
Not much I can add to Spiderman's and d00d's comments on detailing...Terry, TCnBham, may have some more thoughts on detailing.  The only thing I can add and I think it was touched on, I use separate water and mits/rags when doing the wheels (first) and bottom of the engine (after wheels), from what I used for the painted parts...this definitely keeps the potential for grit away from the painted parts.  If you do wash outside on the yard or driveway, and don't have soft water, either put HD Sun Wash in your bucket of water, or use the Mr. Clean filtered spray attachment (which is what I use) to rinse the bike off.  I've used the Mr. Clean attachment out in direct sunlight when washing the bike and the water dries sometimes before I get a towel or blower to it and with it, there's no spotting.  It's worth the $19 or $20 to avoid spotting.  Just my $0.02

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »

Sean,
Total wash from the bottom up.  I put mine on a J&S Jack, and wash the wheels, tires and inside of the fenders first.  Then I take it off the jack and get after the entire under carriage.  For this stage, I use a soft bristle brush, a terry towel, a bottle brush and Glare Ultra Wash.  Then I change the soap water, get rid of everything except the bottle brush, and add one micro fiber.  Then I wash the rest of the bike from the bottom up using the bottle brush to get into unreachable places like jug fins and the front of the cam chest.  I always rinse heavily, then rinse some more.  Wash/rinse is followed by a drydown with a leaf blower.  Then I put the bike back on the J&S jack and start detail cleaning.  If I'm going to apply a coat of Glare, then that is next, followed by a wipe down with Honda Spray.  All leather gets a good coat of Glare Leather Protectant.  Once it drys, I buff it out with a 100% cotton cloth.  That's it................but that detail cleaning takes quite awhile.  Good Luck!!!!

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »

Sean,

I wash it top to bottom, then after it is clean I remove bags, side covers, seat,and start drying each piece with a microfiber cloth. Blow the bike dry with my AirForce Blower. Then I detail the bike on  my jack. After the carcass of the bike and wheels are detailed. I polish chrome and then spray Nano wax on the painted parts and reattach everything removed earlier. After reassembly I go over a final time to polish entire bike top-to-bottom one last time to ensure no water spots. Take it for a cruise around the block and wipe off any water that might have been hiding some ware. Entire process takes about 3+ hours on my SEUC.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Sean M Cary

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »

Sean,
Not much I can add to Spiderman's and d00d's comments on detailing...Terry, TCnBham, may have some more thoughts on detailing.  The only thing I can add and I think it was touched on, I use separate water and mits/rags when doing the wheels (first) and bottom of the engine (after wheels), from what I used for the painted parts...this definitely keeps the potential for grit away from the painted parts.  If you do wash outside on the yard or driveway, and don't have soft water, either put HD Sun Wash in your bucket of water, or use the Mr. Clean filtered spray attachment (which is what I use) to rinse the bike off.  I've used the Mr. Clean attachment out in direct sunlight when washing the bike and the water dries sometimes before I get a towel or blower to it and with it, there's no spotting.  It's worth the $19 or $20 to avoid spotting.  Just my $0.02

Gonna try the Mr. Clean thing...wife scored one for me at Wally World.

Sean

Sean M Cary

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »

Sean,

I wash it top to bottom, then after it is clean I remove bags, side covers, seat,and start drying each piece with a microfiber cloth. Blow the bike dry with my AirForce Blower. Then I detail the bike on  my jack. After the carcass of the bike and wheels are detailed. I polish chrome and then spray Nano wax on the painted parts and reattach everything removed earlier. After reassembly I go over a final time to polish entire bike top-to-bottom one last time to ensure no water spots. Take it for a cruise around the block and wipe off any water that might have been hiding some ware. Entire process takes about 3+ hours on my SEUC.

Mark

which AirForce do you have the BIG 199 one or the smaller 90ish dollar one?

Sean

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »

which AirForce do you have the BIG 199 one or the smaller 90ish dollar one?

Sean

The big one, I didn't think the small one would powerful enough.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 08:41:31 PM »

I take it out in the rain to get cleaned! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »

I take it out in the rain to get cleaned! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie never has to clean his ride.  As fast as he rides, dirt just blows off, it never gets a chance to settle on the bike.   :P :huepfenlol2:

2012 FLHXSE3

REGGAB

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

Howie never has to clean his ride.  As fast as he rides, dirt just blows off, it never gets a chance to settle on the bike.   :P :huepfenlol2:

The really cool part is................he dodges bugs and rain drops too!  Cybil II was surprisingly tidy this past Sunday!  Now THAT'S skill!   :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

The really cool part is................he dodges bugs and rain drops too!  Cybil II was surprisingly tidy this past Sunday!  Now THAT'S skill!   :2vrolijk_21:

Henry, like you, I've had first hand experience trying to follow Howie.  When a bunch of us went through Skyline drive together (most of us were about 30 mins behind Howie) and got off at Charlottesville/Saunton area, I had bugs on my SEUC.  Howie went so fast through the mountains, that he didn't have one spatter on his bike anywhere....amazing....he even rides faster than incoming bugs... ::)

2012 FLHXSE3

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »

Henry, like you, I've had first hand experience trying to follow Howie.  When a bunch of us went through Skyline drive together (most of us were about 30 mins behind Howie) and got off at Charlottesville/Saunton area, I had bugs on my SEUC.  Howie went so fast through the mountains, that he didn't have one spatter on his bike anywhere....amazing....he even rides faster than incoming bugs... ::)

:ROFLOL:  Couple the speed with his Traxxion Dynamics forks, Bitubos, and True-Track, and he's gonna save lots of bug lives!   :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »

Call the detail guy...smoke and drink a coupla barley pops until he is done...
Drive in sprinkler runoff and swear never to do it again...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.