Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken fins on inside fairing  (Read 2672 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Broken fins on inside fairing
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »

What happens when all three of the seating fins for the side of the fairing break off?  I have two gone on one side and one gone on the other. I have super glued them, used hot glue gun, and used liquid metal. Nothing seems to hold.  Is there a way to replace them?  Any engineers out there----

Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said:  "Where did you get such a great bike?"
The second engineer replied:  "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike.
She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, 'Take what you want.'"
The second engineer nodded approvingly:  "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Broken fins on inside fairing
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:19:24 AM »

Don't know about the fins but like the engineer joke.
Bill

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »

You might try and high end body shop.  Most have plastic welders now and can repair about any kind of plastics.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »

a fiberglass repair will probably do the trick. but,like the previous post stated body shops can do amazing things with the plastics used in the automotive industry now. good luck!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

The answer above about going to a quality collision repair shop is the best idea. You can actually reform these tabs with a urethane repair kit. This would be a two part product and require a little fab work with grinder and sanding after curing. Probably not something you want to do first because of the expense of buying the products and the quanity they are supplied in, then needing a mixing "caulk" gun plus the other tools needed to shape and form the tabs.
Trick is getting the correct repair product that matches the composition of the part being repaired, IE: Don't repair urethane with fiberglas etc. Materials for structural rigidity must be comparable.
May have to try a couple of shops to find one willing to do it. Small job, not much profit, would be a customer service deal at best.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »

If you don't have success with the other recommendations, some of us have manufactured braces for other pieces that broke inside the fairing.

Essentially you make a metal sandwich, the middle will be your broken plastic piece, outsides are two pieces of metal drilled and secured.

Best of luck!

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »

If you don't have success with the other recommendations, some of us have manufactured braces for other pieces that broke inside the fairing.

Essentially you make a metal sandwich, the middle will be your broken plastic piece, outsides are two pieces of metal drilled and secured.

Best of luck!
thats how i fixed mine with some fiberglass to cushion the metal pieces. has held for seven years now. hope all this helps. i am sure some more will post and help! :2vrolijk_21:

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »

I broke off one of the screw tabs on my '00 SERG outer fairing.  Showed it to a body shop buddy who used a 3M product to mold (glue?) it back.  Has held well.  Do a search in this topic for 'broken screw tab' for more details.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »

Great ideas guys. I knew you'd come through. Hopefully the three I have left will hold another year.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.