Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Heads up....Front Tire Cupping!!!!!  (Read 27510 times)

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
Heads up....Front Tire Cupping!!!!!
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »

To my fellow SERG brothers and sisters!
   I have just over 8000 miles on my baby.  The other day I rolled it out of the garage and felt a little thump, thump, thump when moving it forward (motor off).  Went and looked and the front tire is cupping.  The trailing edge of the tire pattern is almost even with the bottom of the grooves while the leading edge of the vee has quite a bit of tread left.  Noticed not too long ago that I was getting a little more vibration in the front end. 
  Well. I rode it to the dealer and had service look at it.  The service manager said I had to buy a new tire (IMMEDIATELY!) and said it was due to not having good tire pressure.  I told them that the book states 38psi for the front and I check it every 2 weeks.  It helped that the service writer knows me well and therefore knew I was not BSing them.  They also threw out there that this may be all you will get out of the D407's.  I told them I get 16-20k out of the older rubber fronts and that this rubber is advertised as lasting longer.  I told them to call the factory.....  Well the factory is aware of the problem and is replacing my tire for free (I also have the tire protection).  Did not get the whole story but apparently they are reversing the tread pattern and have made some other changes in the tire.  Now here is the issue..... the tire is on backorder  :-\ so it looks like I will not be taking it on my trip next week!
   They checked the back tire and it appears to be wearing normally.

So this is just a heads up to make everyone aware of a potential rubber issue.  Just be prudent and check often.  I just looked at my rim (front) and there appears to be little black specks so the tire is disentegrating pretty rapidly at this point.  Never seen this previously when cleaning the rims.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Heads up....Front Tire Cupping!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:27:35 AM »

Looks like Popper is having the same issue.

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »

THanks for the heads up, I also purchased the tire protection.  :apple:
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »

THanks for the heads up, I also purchased the tire protection.  :apple:

Ditto. It just makes sense...

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »

Yes, but in this instance it is a HD warranty issue.  So you do not have to pay labor.  The down side is that you are at the whim of the MoCo as to when they want to send the part to you.  Thanks for listening.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »

what year is your bike ?
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »

I believe this is a problem with all the '09 touring models.

We were just in Arizona for a month and a few friends flew into Vegas and renting Ultra's.  Out of 4 rented 2 had a similar concern.  At different times we stopped by dealers while on the road to have them check it out... Both said it is nothing to worry about!

I think NOT!

If I owned a '09 I think I would be swapping the front rims and tires back to the 16" D402's.

ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:41:59 AM »

Yes this is about the new 09 rubber.  The D407's.  Fortunately, the MoCo is aware and from what I understand they are addressing the issue with a redesign.
  Also if things get too bad, they do make a D402 the same size.  It was on the previous years CVO Road King.  Not sure about the rear.  I do know that the MoCo asked about the rear but I am not having the issue there (yet).
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »

3600 miles and I noticed vibration on braking today...Low and behold the front is cupping and is getting worse. I'll have a talk with my dealer Tuesday :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »

This may not be an 09 problem. I have 407's on my 08 SERK. My 1st front tire was cupping badly at less than 8000 miles. Dunlop claims to have several compounds / layers on the thread of this tire to help with the cupping problem.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_news_article.asp?id=212&monthYear=

I've had the new compound tires on for going on 9000 miles with no sign of cupping. But why wouldn't the 2009 SERG have this new version of the 407Fs? I noticed the 408s look just like the 407s with the tread mounted the opposite direction.

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 12:53:45 AM »

I would be curious to hear tire cupping reports (or lack thereof) from riders with the questioned tires who also have had the Traxxion Dynamics front suspension work done.  Can't help but wonder if simply keeping the front wheel on the ground so much more would help the problem.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »

Tomorrow i have the 5000miles service ( 8000km with 9200km on the clock ) , my frontend was wobbeling when let free the handlebar when getting slower less than 40 mph .
Checked the front tire - bad looking - i thought that this would be a normal use-look and will let mount a new one tomorrow , hope the dealer has one .
 I will tell him this story of replacing the front tire for free by the MoCo .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »

Just coming back from bringing my SERG to the dealer for the service .
 No front tire available , damn , he will try to get informations about the tires from the german hd-headquarter in Mörfelden , hope he will get one soon , mine is totally undriveable , wobbling front end .
And this weekend we have another " black-forest-tour " , fuc......
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 11:32:30 AM »

cupping problem I guess I can understand, NOT HAVING TIRES ON HAND TO ME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE ......PERIOD. When the day comes that while on a trip I can not have tires replaced is the day I say fairwell to MOCO.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 21 queries.