Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What the... ? Floor board disappeared  (Read 4059 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
What the... ? Floor board disappeared
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »

After a 400 mile ride on Friday, I found my right side passenger floor board had disappeared somewhere between LA and San Jose.   :nixweiss:  The mounting arm is still there.

How often do parts just fall off these bikes???  I've never used or even touched the passenger boards, except when I've washed my bike.  Is there something I coulda/shoulda done to prevent this?

I'll also leave a post in the Want to Buy section... does anyone have a right side passenger floor board pan and pad for a '13 CVO Ultra that they can part with for the right price?

Dan

FLHTCUSE7

Re: What the... ? Floor board disappeared
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »

It's a American Union labour made product. Bet the RPPM is high.

It's not a high quality vehichle.

I love mine but I know its crap as far as quality and performance.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »

Same thing happened to me on my previous bike.  This time, I glued and screwed the inserts in place. 

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:07:42 AM »

We rented a Softail Deluxe in Houston several years ago. One of the DRIVER floorboard inserts fell off while we were riding it. We were on a highway and I felt it fall off, and saw it in the rear view mirror sliding off of the highway. Traffic prevented me from stopping to retrieve it. They charged us about $150 for it when we returned the bike.

I will never rent a Harley again. Thankfully, nothing has ever fallen off of Honey Badger... but I check the bolts on her regularly.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »

We rented a Softail Deluxe in Houston several years ago. One of the DRIVER floorboard inserts fell off while we were riding it. We were on a highway and I felt it fall off, and saw it in the rear view mirror sliding off of the highway. Traffic prevented me from stopping to retrieve it. They charged us about $150 for it when we returned the bike.

I will never rent a Harley again. Thankfully, nothing has ever fallen off of Honey Badger... but I check the bolts on her regularly.

Ken

There would have been a wrestling match before a dealer would get money out of me for a part that fell off a rental bike while riding down the highway.  I suppose they had your credit card, but there would have been a fight...   >:(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:28:01 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »

lilcoot, if I'm reading right, your bike is a 2013 so it should still be under warr. If the (or A) dealership has serviced the bike they should be checking for things of such (loose nuts,bolts Etc.). I'ld be at the dealership looking for a replacement.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »

There would have been a wrestling match before a dealer would get money out of me for a part that fell off a rental bike while riding down the highway.  I suppose they had your credit card, but there would have been a fight...   >:(

There was apparently a clause in the contract about responsibility, and I just didn't feel like fighting. It had rained buckets on us much of the time, and we had nearly been involved in a wicked multi-vehicle accident... I panic-stopped on a wet road about a foot shy of the bumper of the car in front, which had hit the car in front of it, which had also hit the car in front of IT. I was sick of the whole damn weekend, and I just wanted to get the hell out of Houston and get back home.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

lilcoot, if I'm reading right, your bike is a 2013 so it should still be under warr. If the (or A) dealership has serviced the bike they should be checking for things of such (loose nuts,bolts Etc.). I'ld be at the dealership looking for a replacement.

I tried the warranty route on mine....didn't work.   They will laugh and say that it's your responsibility if something falls off.  I not only lost the insert, but also the passenger pan since the only thing holding it on is a small pin that is held in place by the insert.

Cowboy

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »

So Cowboy, how does Harley expect us to maintain a pin that holds the pad AND the pan in place?  It's not like a screw or bolt that can be tightened.  It seems a part like that will either hold or fail - no way to adjust it. 

It just seems parts that fail often like this mounting system, outer cam bearings, compensators, heated grips, etc., are poorly designed and/or made.  The bean counters at HD have too much influence.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »

That sucks !!! Hope you find one for a fair $ !!!
DND

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »

So Cowboy, how does Harley expect us to maintain a pin that holds the pad AND the pan in place?  It's not like a screw or bolt that can be tightened.  It seems a part like that will either hold or fail - no way to adjust it. 

It just seems parts that fail often like this mounting system, outer cam bearings, compensators, heated grips, etc., are poorly designed and/or made.  The bean counters at HD have too much influence.

I hear you.  MOCO does a crappy job of engineering that only costs the customer in the end. 

I glued and screwed my new inserts in so that would never happen again.

Cowboy

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »

We rented a Softail Deluxe in Houston several years ago. One of the DRIVER floorboard inserts fell off while we were riding it. We were on a highway and I felt it fall off, and saw it in the rear view mirror sliding off of the highway.

Had a loaner Deluxe a few years back when my bike was in for service.  Got on the bike, and a floor board insert fell off there and then.  Took it around to service and they re-installed it.  The tech told me that was a common problem on the Deluxe.  Don't know why, as the inserts looked the same as the standard ones on my old non-CVO Ultra.
Spada84
NoSofa!

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »

I lock tight almost everything, some things you are just not able to. While we lose something from time to time, it is way better than "back in the day".
My worst one was on a brand new Low Rider I bought in 78, on the way to Sturgis I lost the front brakes, if I remember correctly the top pin on the right side caliper left the bike. One the way home I lost the pin on the clevis for the rear brakes and then every thing that went with it. Result 900+ miles no brakes, I stopped at every Harley dealer in between, no body had parts. Those lost parts were all things I was not able to get something else to cobble together to make em work, those kind of rides are tough on the boots!

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.