Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tank slapper  (Read 1493 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Tank slapper
« on: May 18, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »

Not just CVO’s.
Is it endemic of all Harley’s to degenerate into a tank slapper if both hands are removed from the handlebars at any speed.
JohnT

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tank slapper
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »

Not just CVO’s.
Is it endemic of all Harley’s to degenerate into a tank slapper if both hands are removed from the handlebars at any speed.
JohnT

Any bike might and it can be the result of many different factors; bike, road or otherwise.  And they can do it whether your hands are on the bars or not.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 06:46:03 PM »

back in the olden days.... i had a KZ900 and it would go in to a death wobble at or around 140 mph, turned out i had some worn bushings on the swing arm , replaced bushings and sold that stupid thing   :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:39 PM »

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, you don't need worn parts and/or heavy loading to experience this, although those things may increase the likelihood and/or severity.  I believe the Harley touring front end geometry (rake, trail) is part of it, but I'm not a suspension engineer.  Whatever causes it, it's often unpredictable, scary as hell, and can cause a rider to lose control.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, you don't need worn parts and/or heavy loading to experience this, although those things may increase the likelihood and/or severity.  I believe the Harley touring front end geometry (rake, trail) is part of it, but I'm not a suspension engineer.  Whatever causes it, it's often unpredictable, scary as hell, and can cause a rider to lose control.

The front end geometry of the touring models from the 80's up to 2013 was in fact a contributor to the problem.  In 2014 the front end design was changed to a more conventional design.  I don't remember seeing any front end wobble/tank slapper complaints since then; anyone have any firsthand experience with a Rushed More tank slapper or high speed wobble?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 11:05:47 PM »

OK, I know I shouldn't but regularly hang my arms down for minutes at a time on long stretches on the freeway with Cruise set. Bike solid as a rock
Alan

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:22:36 PM »

When I experienced this on a touring bike I was riding 1-up on the interstate at typical interstate speed (cruise control engaged). Low mileage bike, well maintained, newer and properly inflated tires.  Pretty good curve and hit a "dip" in the road during the aforementioned curve.  The front wheel went from tracking solid to fluttering like the front wheel of a bad shopping cart instantly.  Holy f'n hell!  What do you do (after chitting yourself)?  Brake?  Tighten up your arms?  I can't tell you what I did as I can't honestly remember.  Didn't crash it, somehow.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »

OK, I know I shouldn't but regularly hang my arms down for minutes at a time on long stretches on the freeway with Cruise set. Bike solid as a rock

Bored on the interstate going across flat straight Kansas I rode 23 miles with my hands off the bars at 80mph.  It was just to see how far I could go. 

Road glides are very sensitive to neck bearing adjustment, if its off, while deceleration from 55 mph down with hands off bars about 47 the bars will start to go back and forth, and as it slows more it gets more pronounced.  If neck is adjust right it will  not do this.

So when I leave the dealer after service, first thing I do is run up to 55mph, take hands off bars and let bike slow, any shake its back to dealer for them to correct.  Only once did a service writer tell me the issue was not the neck bearing adjustment but that you never take hands off bars.  Service Manager over heard and came out and told him, I was correct, neck was adjusted wrong, most likely to regular touring bike spec.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 24 queries.