Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Harley detachable locks  (Read 5440 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Harley detachable locks
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 08:21:53 PM »

The locks work, but as several folks have already mentioned, the key is is too long to use with the detachable tour pack rack (when you unlock, the spring loaded pin in the lock pops up and the key jams against the bottom of the rack, making removal of the key almost impossible).  My method for getting around that can be found here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7421.msg109118#msg109118

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry!  Would you be interested in modifying another set? :nixweiss:

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »

and as already mentioned - don't forget to travel with the key just in case the tour pack needs to come off for some unexpected maintenance while on the road.

Trust me - I know this...  :2vrolijk_21:
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »

i keep mine in the TP map pouch. TP is locked 99% of the time anyway
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 04:21:01 PM »

Thanks, Jerry!  Would you be interested in modifying another set? :nixweiss:

Man, you turn your back for an hour or two around here and stuff blows right past you.  Didn't see this post until now Brian, but if you're serious I'd be happy to take care of it for you.  Just mail the key to me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 08:05:43 PM »

Man, you turn your back for an hour or two around here and stuff blows right past you.  Didn't see this post until now Brian, but if you're serious I'd be happy to take care of it for you.  Just mail the key to me.

Jerry

Jerry, yeah, I'm serious.  I don't have the tools or hardware to do it and don't want just any jacka$$ touching my stuff, even this dorky key.  I'll gladly pay the postage there and back, plus send along enough for a six pack if you'd do it for me.  You have PM.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 06:42:18 AM »

I bought a takeoff standard tourpak mount from ebay and got rid of the detachable mount on y 03 SERK.  Now my tourpak mounts the same as an Ultra classic.  I know there are other ways, but I never detached the thing anyway.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

I bought a takeoff standard tourpak mount from ebay and got rid of the detachable mount on y 03 SERK.  Now my tourpak mounts the same as an Ultra classic.  I know there are other ways, but I never detached the thing anyway.

That's the way I have my SEEG set up, but I am going to keep the SERG stock ;) and want to retain the detachable hardware.  The SERGs have those cool leather side covers on the mounting brackets that are just part of the "look" of a SERG when the tour-pak is mounted and if I went to a permanent mount bracket, I would loose those.  Also, I will be running this bike nekkid from time-to-time just 'cause it looks cool. 8) :2vrolijk_21:

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 08:34:57 AM »

the work fine

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »

Brian,

The first set I bought ... one went on the backrest, which it is made for, with no problem. But, that sharp edged piece of metal chipped the saddlebag lid the first time I closed the bag  :-\

The locks are made for the "outside" of the detachable's. You are trying to put it on the inside for the tourpak. It did work, and you need to either bend the key of cut it. I did both, the short key I threaded a acorn nut to the cut end and leave it under the gas cap door.

I had to fiddle a bit to make it work on the tourpak.

I bought another set because I also have a back rest for when the comfort stitch seat is on, and a king tourpak. I can not get the lock work on the king pak!

I don't know why they can't just make a lock for tourpaks.

During our recent trip I was running a cable lock through the tourpak every night, what a pain.
I am now thinking of drilling a hole and running a bolt with a nylok nut through. Will keep the quick grab it an run thief at bay and the lock won't stop the better thieves anyway.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:56:58 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 08:54:53 PM »

i bought the 2 pack but i could only use one, they mount inside the newer style detachable racks and dont line up very well. takes some effort to remove once unlocked ( not a bad thing ) but with both i couldnt get the rack on. also you will need to modify the key by gently bending it to a right angle, again because its on the inside the key is too tall......

another stellar engineering job by H-D

I have about the same experience except the part about bending the key.  Nor sure if I put mine on right, but the key isn't an issue the way the lock faces.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »

I have about the same experience except the part about bending the key.  Nor sure if I put mine on right, but the key isn't an issue the way the lock faces.
JC,

If you put the lock on in the "official" direction, where the latch rotates the same direction as the original latch, the key has to be inserted from the top front.  This is where the long key gets fouled up with the bottom of the detachable bracket for the T-P.  You can install the lock "backward", so it rotates opposite the original, and the key can be easily inserted and removed from the rear.  I installed mine that way first, but found that rotating the non-locking latch one way and the locking latch the other way created a binding condition.  It worked, but not as smoothly or easily as I wanted.  Finally decided to just mount it the "official" way and shorten the key.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »

On the 04, the key is not an issue whatsoever.  On the 05, with the change in the tour pak mount, the key is a pain in the butt.  I bought 2 2 packs and have the locks on the tour paks and the detachable passenger backrest.  They aren't hard to defeat, but to a "casual" thief it might make them look for a different bike to steal from...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »

Hmmm, I guess I'll have to see how they work on the SERG then before I ship them off to Jerry.  They just arrived yesterday but I haven't opened them yet.  Maybe they won't be a problem since the SERG has the earlier style mount. :nixweiss:

Break-In

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Edition 513/900
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO3: 1997 FXSTC
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 10:14:33 PM »

Used one on the tour pack and the other on the backrest, one on each is better then nothing.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »

A friend was at Vegas bike week and while there had his detachable tour pak  stolen.  His replacement will include the locking option.  Whether the lock would have saved his tour pak is pure speculation; however, you got to believe a thief would prefer to look for easier pickings.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.