Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Would you fix it?  (Read 2528 times)

Fat Boy Tim

• CVO1: 03 SERK
    • CVO2: 05 SE Ultra
Would you fix it?
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:15:39 PM »

Pictures of my 05 after crash. Question is would you fix it or scrap it? It only has 3200 miles if that makes a difference.

Tim
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:17:39 PM by Fat Boy Tim »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Would you fix it?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:19:15 PM »

Pictures of my 05 after crash. Question is would you fix it or scrap it?

Tim

Tim,

Wow,  I hope you are alright...  I had one that looked much like yours does, except it was orange...  Personally, if you have good insurance and they treat you right, if I were you - I would not fix it.  I would start over with a new one or, if you are lucky, you could find a low mileage banana like your crashed one.

What happened?  Mine was a deer....

And welcome to the site!

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fat Boy Tim

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:24:46 PM »

This was a little worse than a deer.... Pickup Truck.

Tim

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:33:48 PM »

Pictures of my 05 after crash. Question is would you fix it or scrap it? It only has 3200 miles if that makes a difference.

Tim

WOW :o That is one peeled banana.....Glad your here to talk about it.  Based on that photo you will have major frame damage and all of the painted stuff trashed. If its insured the insurance company will most likely total the bike. I would start over :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:43:26 PM »

Peeled banana is right.  That's an ugly crash.  Good news you're here writing about it.

Since you're asking if you should does that mean the choice is yours?  Or are you just thinking out loud waiting for the insurer to decide for you what you're going to do.

As much as it it can pain you to see a good bike retired that one looks like an "everything in the catalog" repair.  If another bike is an option that option would seem to be the much quicker, easier and potentially safer alternative.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:08:46 PM »

Wow, that bike suffered some serious damage. :o  Time to start over.  Glad you're OK . . . . were you on the bike when it happend? :nixweiss:

Fat Boy Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:27:58 AM »

Let me back up just a little here, No I was not riding the bike when it was crashed. I got the bike back in September. I bought the bike for the motor and transmission to go in my Road King Classic. When I went to look at the bike I was just like everybody else....... Too much damage to even think about fixing. Now I am looking for a winter Project and with a new frame from Harley is it really too bad to fix? I still got my SERK to ride just hate to waste a true SE to use the motor and tranny in my classic.

Tim

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:12:56 AM »

Let me back up just a little here, No I was not riding the bike when it was crashed. I got the bike back in September. I bought the bike for the motor and transmission to go in my Road King Classic. When I went to look at the bike I was just like everybody else....... Too much damage to even think about fixing. Now I am looking for a winter Project and with a new frame from Harley is it really too bad to fix? I still got my SERK to ride just hate to waste a true SE to use the motor and tranny in my classic.

Tim

First, welcome aboard Tim.
It looks like all you can get is a "salvaged" VIN from that bike.
Is it a clear title?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 01:38:25 AM »

Welcome to the site.  Glad you weren't on it, looks nasty.

If the titles branded I owuldn't mess with fixing it, I'd go with the option to put the motor in your other bike.

I can't imagine you could fix it properly for less than someone could buy a good low mileage one.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:09:36 AM »

Take the parts and move on, with a replaced fram and salvage VIN - it will never be worth what you'll put into it. JMHO.

BTW....do you have the tourpack?? Specifically the Tourpac Lid Screamin Eagle Medallion??? If so, I will gladly put several greenbacks back in your pocket towards recouping your investment ;D
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 07:13:47 AM »

I'm glad you are ok enough to post!

Looks like the forks got bent back too , I crunched one of my rides like that and they totalled it due to the bent frame.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »

First off welcome to the site.  ;)  Second, I'm glad you're not the one that "rode" that one out.  I fear the owner of it, by looking at the bike, may not have faired well.  Without seeing the other side of the bike, I'd pretty much go with that baby's trashed!!  You might be able to salvage the tranny and engine off of it, but that's about it.  The primary's trashed, all the tins are trashed, the forks, frame, et al, trashed.  Definitely a basket case.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 09:27:45 AM »

Parts is parts-- Keep what you want and salvage any extra parts that you don't use and Sell'em off.

Fat Boy Tim

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 12:25:30 PM »

Thanks guys for helping me out on my decision. Unless something new comes to light I am just going to do the motor swap. The bike does have a clear title. So I still got some options to look at. If I do decide to part it out the parts will be posted here because I feel there are a great bunch of people here on this board. That is why I posted my question here. I have stayed in the back ground and watched and read post and Like I said there are a great bunch of people here and I do value all of your opinions. Thanks again for everyones input.

Tim

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »

Clear title and if your not in a big hurry to put back in between the lines. And if you can turn a wrench you could save alot of cash. I might just pick up some parts when you can and before you know it the cvo will be reborn. So many ways to go. Forks-paint wide rear tire kit, apes ,ect. Goodluck and keep us posted.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 09:22:42 PM »

Now might be the time to make an 05 SE Road glide out of it.   :nixweiss:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »

No, I would not fix it.*     As suggested by others, I'd find a nice used one (like Rjobs just did) on e-bay and go from there.

B B

*Too many ifs with a bike that smashed up.

Fat Boy Tim

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 02:46:37 AM »

I am not in a hurry to do anything right now. I got my SERK to ride plus I got my Road King Classic and a 06 Street Glide. so I am kinda bike poor right now. I bought the bike to put the motor and tranny in my RK Classic for a winter project. The more cosmetics that come off the more I am finding the bike is really not as bad as it appears in the picture. The Bananna took a glancing blow to the front end. The kickstand broke off and hit the outer primary and knocked a hole in it. I have already taken the outer primary off and replaced it and I have had the motor running and it shifts fine. So I have what I wanted to start with, everything else is just a bonus. As time allows I'll take it apart and then I can see what is bent and what would have to be replaced. I will keep all posted on what I find as I get time to disassemble it.

Tim

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 07:31:36 AM »

I wouldn't, personally, but I know people who would love a challenge like that.  I've seen some mangled bikes become works of art.  I 'spose if you have the resources, then go for it.

46knuck

• LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »

I would go with plan "A" and swap the motor assy and sell what is left at a swap meet or flebay.
2003 Heritage softail
2003 Deuce  SE
1946 Indian Chief
2000 Dyna low rider  (wife)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 08:16:21 PM »

You can cut the neck off and get a new frame from HD with that VIN on it. Then you can rebuild it as you see fit. Maybe you can then score parts on EBay to rebuild it. Just another option.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 09:12:17 PM »

Tim,
Slap that drivetrain in the RKC and rock on, you will be happier in the end and
have one killer RKC.  Sure wish I kept mine instead of trading it in on
this 07 SE Ultra...life goes on!!!!
Have Fun,
TimBone
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.