Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Heated Grip Failures  (Read 10955 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Heated Grip Failures
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 09:59:55 AM »

I think someone here got it right, Heated Gloves are the way to go   :nixweiss:

I thought so until I added the Heat Demons.  The gloves are great.  But you don't always start out with them.  And it is convenient to have the grips on for those evenings or mornings when it's gotten just a bit cooler than you expected.  Just a convenience thing.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »

I lost the heat in my grips in July on Tioga Pass in Yosemite during a hail storm.  I basically had to sit on the side of the road, on the pass with the engine running while it hailed on me (and the bike) for what seemed like an hour.  The heated seat still works.  I was going to have them fix the grips when I have the recall done on the heads etc.  Sounds like it will be a back order drama for some time.   :drink:

Hail hurts, doesn't it... ??? :'(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Raaze09

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »

I thought so until I added the Heat Demons.  The gloves are great.  But you don't always start out with them.  And it is convenient to have the grips on for those evenings or mornings when it's gotten just a bit cooler than you expected.  Just a convenience thing.

Can you use the Heat Demons on the new touring bikes with RBW throttles?  All of the heated grips in the HD catalog say not for use with internal wiring, and the grips that are on the '09 CVO UC aren't listed.
I'm not going gray - I'm going chrome!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »

Can you use the Heat Demons on the new touring bikes with RBW throttles?  All of the heated grips in the HD catalog say not for use with internal wiring, and the grips that are on the '09 CVO UC aren't listed.

No, they'd not work with the electronic throttle controlled bikes.  The heating element slides inside the handlebar.  Fly by wire bikes already have that space partially occupied.

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »

I tried my grips for the first time this summer and of course they don't work any more.  >:(

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »

No, they'd not work with the electronic throttle controlled bikes.  The heating element slides inside the handlebar.  Fly by wire bikes already have that space partially occupied.

Looking at the parts blow-out of the HD heating element, it looks like they too go inside the handlebar. What am I missing?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »

The dial on the left grip of my last set appears to be different than the other set.  Possibly HD upgraded/changed them somewhat.  Used them once & so far they work.

Will keep these as long as the waranty is in effect & then if they go will change to Heat Demons.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »

Are the elements inside the handle bars or are they part of the grip ??

When the replace the heating elements under warranty do they replace the entire Ironside grips or just the element ??

Are the heat demons an option for the 08-09 TBW bikes or is that still not an option ??

Did anyone find any problems with the heated grips besides just the elements, like the control knob or faulty wiring ??

Thx

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »

Are the elements inside the handle bars or are they part of the grip ??

When the replace the heating elements under warranty do they replace the entire Ironside grips or just the element ??

Are the heat demons an option for the 08-09 TBW bikes or is that still not an option ??

Did anyone find any problems with the heated grips besides just the elements, like the control knob or faulty wiring ??

Thx

DD

As far as I know the elements are part of the grip itself.

They replace the entire grip.

Not sure on 08-09.

The control knob appears to be the failure point on the HD grips.  Mine shocked the crap out of my left thumb after they failed. Probably a wire short.  At times I almost miss that, for some reason......

Mike

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 10:01:49 PM »

I installed the wires from nightrider to help get away from the lean running machine, and my Handgrips started working.

Must be a coincidence, but I'll enjoy them while I can.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 05:00:46 AM »

Mine are pooched as well.Have been backordered for six weeks and counting. Should be in by the time the warm weather riding arrives next spring. THE MUFFMAN

UPDATE. My new grips were installed by HD yesterday. I didn't pick up the bike last night. Got back too late.. Lets see how long these babies last this time. THE MUFFMAN

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 07:14:02 AM »

UPDATE. My new grips were installed by HD yesterday. I didn't pick up the bike last night. Got back too late.. Lets see how long these babies last this time. THE MUFFMAN

How many sets have you had, Muffman?  Since you live in an area with a cooler climate, figure you give them more use than some of us do in other areas.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 07:26:26 AM »

How many sets have you had, Muffman?  Since you live in an area with a cooler climate, figure you give them more use than some of us do in other areas.

This is only my second set. They went out in April but I couldn't bring myself to take it to an HD Dealer until absolutely necessary. They were ordered early August & just came in.I'm sure it won't be my last.THE MUFFMAN

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »

This is only my second set. They went out in April but I couldn't bring myself to take it to an HD Dealer until absolutely necessary. They were ordered early August & just came in.I'm sure it won't be my last.THE MUFFMAN

Thanks.  My second set was just installed.  The dial on the left grip appeared to be a little different than the other set.

Hope they last - have already checked out the Heat Demons & they look like a good option but as long as I have a warranty & these HD grips keep failing - not sure when (if?)  I will make the move.

Mike

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »

Thanks.  My second set was just installed.  The dial on the left grip appeared to be a little different than the other set.

Hope they last - have already checked out the Heat Demons & they look like a good option but as long as I have a warranty & these HD grips keep failing - not sure when (if?)  I will make the move.

Mike

You & me both. I have the 7 year warranty on this thing & I'll be sure & make use of every last hour of warranty. THE MUFFMAN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.