Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EPA news just for Psycho!  (Read 3623 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
EPA news just for Psycho!
« on: February 26, 2004, 08:16:46 PM »

Here it is in the Winter edition of The Enthusiast.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: EPA news just for Psycho!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 08:20:39 PM »

The "first tier" is when all states have to meet the same requirements as California has already (hell of a thing to be the leader in :-[ ).  I'm not certain so don't quote me, but I think the "second tier" is when they start smog testing the motorcycles.  Does any of you guys connected with MRO's (and still attend the meetings regularly) know for sure?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 01:08:16 AM »

Uh oh!! Here it comes! Can't wait to see what the "second tier" is. Seems it wouldn't have been mentioned if there wasn't at least some info on what the "second tier" involves. It will be interesting to see how general rider population handles/responds to this news (if at all). [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif] [smiley=furious3.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 07:34:27 PM »

Uh oh!! Here it comes! Can't wait to see what the "second tier" is. Seems it wouldn't have been mentioned if there wasn't at least some info on what the "second tier" involves. It will be interesting to see how general rider population handles/responds to this news (if at all). [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif] [smiley=furious3.gif]

As I mentioned above, I think the second tier is when they actually start smog testing.

West Coast GTG   

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 11:14:28 PM »

I was in a local generic MC dealer/shop this weekend to pick up my new Shoie. I asked the guys if they had heard any buzz about EPA regs and testing. They told me one of their reps was just in and was hinting about things to come. No elaboration. This dealer had easily 300 bikes on his lot. When I asked them how they would be affected they responded by saying that at least 3/4 of their bikes were already modded (exhaust and air filter) with no OEM parts!    

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 01:46:22 AM »

As I mentioned above, I think the second tier is when they actually start smog testing.

Hey JC, I did a quick scan of the original 2002 EPA proposal and the use of "Tier" refers to levels of Hydrocarbons and NOX. Tier1 (2006 model year) must meet 1.4 g/km HC+NOX, Tier2 (2010) must meet .8g/HC+NOX. Tier2 must employ newer technologies such as pulse air injection, cats, etc. in order to meet regs. I could not ascertain how they will treat older models. I think they might have to meet the regs in effect at that time. So 2004 models must meet I think the 1990 guidelines? Although, as stock, they already meet 2006 guidelines. So, still vague on how older models will be treated during testing and compliance issues (testing) state to state. Take a look starting at page 38:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/url-fr/fr14au02.pdf
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 01:05:53 AM by psychodeuce »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »

Thanks Psycho.  I don't have to worry about it, I'm in Calif.  We're always one step ahead of the rest of the country......because our air is so bad.  I recently read that in 04 the rest of the country will have to meet the same standards as Calif. and that in 2010 it goes to second tier.  At one of my MRO meetings I remember somebody saying that that is when they'll start testing motorcycles (at least here in Calif).   Personally, I'm not going to worry about it too much.  They're not going to be able to convert 100 of thousands of motorcycles back to stock in one year.  Just won't happen.  By that time, I'll be due for a new motor, anyway (I ride 20 or 25 thousand a year).  You'll notice that happening, when you start seeing a lot less of me on here. lol [smiley=laugh.gif]

West Coast GTG   

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 11:56:49 PM »

(I ride 20 or 25 thousand a year).

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 09:42:37 AM »

I agree, no one gets time off to ride unless the support group gives a thumbs' up.

Black Dog
2004 FLHTCSE

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 11:05:17 AM »

[smiley=laugh.gif] In my opnion, everybody gets time off to ride!  That should be the law [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Psycho, just for you, the made deer whistles that actually have the two sided tape to stick on your bike........cause we were so sure that you're wearing a full face helmet.  Maybe you could put them on top of your helmet. lol [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

West Coast GTG   

rturn2mow

• HOG
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 07:06:17 AM »

I was at my local dealer and asked about emissions and the GM told me that the tiers are based on an average of all the bikes by the manufacturer. Since there needs to be improvement every year all Harley does is make fuel injection standard on another bike every year. He said all bikes already made will be grandfathered. As long as they meet the resrtictions on an average basis, you will see the air cooled engines for quite a while. It will be modifying them for states that do testing that will suck.
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.