Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Re: Newbie Questions  (Read 7857 times)

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 12:08:39 PM »

Amen, brothers.....I concur whole-heartedly.  I'm a 'hard-core' biker.  I don't even own a cage-mobile.  (But my wife has a mini-van.)  I ride everywhere, and people who look at the pictures of me on the bike in my office are always asking me who the pictures are of.  They can't believe that they are me when I tell them.  It's about the experience, and I have learned a lot in the years I've been riding.  Would I paint helmets to match my ride?  Dunno.  I haven't yet, but I'm sure that I could be talked into it.  So far no helmet laws here...and I get upset at states that enforce that for out of staters.  I think I'm suspended in NC for a helmet ticket I got years ago.  Idiots!  Anyway, sponserv...welcome to the board, ask away, and take 'er easy.  Everyone here so far is great, and you will add to that very well.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2004, 01:21:52 AM »

....I have always subscribed to the school of thought that there is no such thing as a dumb question. And I am not too proud to look dumb. Ever.

I'm certainly with you on that. Think I said something similar when I began chatting with the folks on this site. The site is new and certainly has a more familiar feel to it at this stage of the game (compared to other sites with 35,000 posts and hundreds of members). I suspect as it grows it will evolve in character and feel --perhaps less personal--more technical--who knows? That will all depend on the members--the site is it's members--what we decide to make it as a whole. My approach was to present myself as I really am--well, to the extent that you can thru the keyboard that is. I see the folks on this site as a tremendous resource--go to people! They appreciate nice bikes and they ride!

Check the site out--review the posts--get a feel for it--and when you feel comfortable--chime in! Welcome.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2004, 01:47:15 AM »

You guys rock!!!!!!

Sarcasm is always the cheapest form of humor and my funny bone is flat broke.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused with these two statements--they seem diametrically opposed.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] However, I have been known to not be able to see the side of the barn from time to time. I think that this form of communicating (thru the keyboard that is) leaves us always vulnerable to misunderstandings. I think it was last night, when I was responding to a comment JCZ had made, and I was examining the More Smilie section. My eldest daughter (11 yrs old) strolled in and all the smilies were jumping and moving around! "Whats up dad?" "Oh, not much, I'm looking for the right Smilie to put in my post." "To who?" "A guy from California." "OK, so you're writing this Harley biker guy from California and your trying to decide which one of these smilie faces to put in your message?" And she just looked at me with this well--what the hell is goin on with my father--I'm outta here face. Of course my response to her as she exited the room in disbelief was "Yeah. Isn't it cool!" [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

So, it's expected to misunderstand intent from time to time. And if that happened here, you might want to send a private message to check in with someone if your not sure where they are coming from. And they might with you as well just to make sure were all on the same page.  

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2004, 09:01:56 PM »

Man oh man! Did I open up a can of worms here or what? I guess the only reason why I took a little bit of offense to the comment about matching helmet paint being utilized by people new to riding is because......well............nevermind. Suffice to say that I am definitely not new to riding. Lets drop the helmet thing and get back to work.

OK....I am taking the bike over to the HD dealer as soon as tomorrow to have them do the airbox/Pipes/race tuner thang. If I don't get a lot of input from you guys on which way to go I may be at the mercy of "what we have currently in inventory" syndrome.

I did get the SE catalog from the dealer which has a lot of cool dyno info, etc. Is this accurate and gospel? It does seem a little bizzarre that the difference between SE Stages can be very expensive but minimal HP/TQ gain. For instance, the airbox/pipe/software mod appears to increase power about 20 ft lbs and 20 HP. Then If I want ten more of each I have to do the heads and cams. $1500 in parts alone seems like a stiff price to pay for that last 10 hp/ft lbs. Some guys are telling me to go with a two into one header and running a falsie on the left side to maintain the bagger look. They say thats the best way to get the most power. Then I've heard of Rinehart true duals. Or if I decide to go with aftermarket slip ons will I really be losing that much to the two into one and a falsy?

It appears the SE airbox mod is the way to go no matter what I end up with for exhaust. And it seems most dealers would rather see me get into a Race Tuner software deal than a Power Commander. Is this good?

Next issue, all you guys with Chubby bars. Aside from a longer clear steel braided brake line, is there anything else I will need to convert to these beach style bars? Are the stock FLHRSEI steel braided throttle cables long enough?

Remember what I said about questions? The only reason why I am being a PITA on this deal is because I always ask questions of people who are passionate about the subject matter. And by definition, this site seems to be the SE place. If I was building a home submarine I would go to the do it yourself submarine site.

I am a good guy. Just get a little cranky sometimes.

Thanks again for your help.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2004, 09:17:32 PM »

The horsepower/torque per dollar issue is in every industry. I have owned a few water craft that getting from 65 to 70 mph was pretty inexpensive, then to go from 70-75 was $8000 to $10,000 on a $8500 watercraft, a little insane. The motorcycle industry is cheap compared to the watercraft, but then again it's that last few h.p. or ft/lbs that will seperate those that intend on playing in that arena. Me, I want the most for the least $ and still maintaining the rideability without sacrificing looks and the sound.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2004, 11:32:07 PM »

Sponserv (can you explain that user name to me please?) go down to about the eight post on this link and check out the Woods cams.  They're designed for the 103" motor, using stock heads and springs (no alterations to the heads).  This dyno shows the SE cams vs. the Woods cams.  By the way, they are gear drive cams.
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1072508181;start=0#0

You might spend some time in the SEEG forum.  All the known information is in there, for the 103" motor.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 08:43:19 PM »

If I recall the only line I had to change was the brake line (if you are getting the same bars I got..2" set back)
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2004, 09:24:53 PM »

Thanks Cabo! I think I will order the same Chubby bars you have. They look very cool on their website.

Someone asked me what my online name stands for. I own a sports marketing agency called Sponsor Services and the screen name is the first four letters of those words combined. Not very complicated but a little confusing at times.

For all you guys out there who were familiar with the painted helmet issue in the early posts you can scream a big I told you so at me tonight. I saw a bike and rider today with matching helmets and was not too fond of it. You were right. Black is where I'll stay. [smiley=6.gif]
02 FLHRSEI Purple

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2004, 10:38:50 PM »

For all you guys out there who were familiar with the painted helmet issue in the early posts you can scream a big I told you so at me tonight. I saw a bike and rider today with matching helmets and was not too fond of it. You were right. Black is where I'll stay. [smiley=6.gif]

Nice to have some new "personality" on the site! Glad we all made it thru "the issue" unscathed! You know I was thinkin--maybe we should have as part of the forum a
"Special Issues" section to pay homage to either the survival or demise of members who run into "issues" with each other!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 10:39:52 PM by psychodeuce »

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 04:08:39 PM »

Good man...glad you caught on before you spent big $$$ and weren't happy.

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2004, 06:33:12 PM »

I love the idea of the "issues beaten to death" forum. Just got back from picking my bike up ate the dealer. Had a SE airbox, Hooker Slip-ons and Power Commander installed. Wow! Now thats a hot rod!!!!!!!!! Loads more fun than riding it yesterday.

This bike is going to be a blast.

Hopefully I'm done messing with it for awhile.....now about those bars......if I loosen the riser clamps and rotate the stock bars downward will it effectively give me any more pullback? All I need is a couple inches. (Story of my life.) [smiley=confused.gif]
02 FLHRSEI Purple

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 07:52:03 PM »

Had a SE airbox, Hooker Slip-ons and Power Commander installed. Wow! Now thats a hot rod!!!!!!!!! Loads more fun than riding it yesterday.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your observations of these changes. I've been contemplating doin the stage-I as well, but I'm just not sold yet.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 07:57:21 PM »

I love the idea of the "issues beaten to death" forum.  

Hey Naitram, what do ya think?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 07:57:58 PM by psychodeuce »

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 08:45:21 PM »

Not to familiar with it being referred to as the "stage 1" setup but I have always investigated or just gone out and changed airbox/computer/exhaust on any new vehicle I have owned. Well......ever since fuel injection came to be standard operating procedure.

I jumped all over the place on the boards asking about performance and sound. Also visited a few dealers service dept's to get the mechanics opinions. Didn't want outrageously loud but wanted to know I had made a performance enhancement. Am really happy with the sound of the Hookers and it really snaps away from lights now. Seems like loads more TQ but I don't have any dyno sheets to back it up.

Lovin it though.
02 FLHRSEI Purple

Bikrtrsh

• Junior CVO Member
  • Never thought I'd be on a bagger!
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2004, 06:35:17 AM »

Not to familiar with it being referred to as the "stage 1" setup but I have always investigated or just gone out and changed airbox/computer/exhaust on any new vehicle I have owned. Well......ever since fuel injection came to be standard operating procedure.

I jumped all over the place on the boards asking about performance and sound. Also visited a few dealers service dept's to get the mechanics opinions. Didn't want outrageously loud but wanted to know I had made a performance enhancement. Am really happy with the sound of the Hookers and it really snaps away from lights now. Seems like loads more TQ but I don't have any dyno sheets to back it up.

Lovin it though.

As far as I'm concerned Sponserv, you've discovered the ultimate secret to customizing your scooter. "Lovin it though" I believe you said. Some guys are more interested in dyno results, some looks, some sound and every conceivable combo of the 3. All that really matters is that YOU are happy with it. Even matching hemets. (sorry, I couldn't resist! LOL)

Mark
ps: I happen to like matching helmets! Me and the wife have black lids with silver flames. I'll have to post a pic of 'em some time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.