Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front brake line rupture  (Read 1352 times)

td119

• Elite CVO Member
Front brake line rupture
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

Unfortunately on June 14th my front brake line ruptured and the brake fluid sprayed over the entire bike.  Not much you can do when you are going down the highway at 80 mph.  Turns out the brake line "distribution disc hub" (under the front forks) which is a disc with 1 line in from the hand brake reservoir and 3 lines out, 1 for the ABS and 2 for the front brakes cracked and sprung the leak.   

I know the part is under warranty but my real concern is the paint and the engine, brake fluid is very corrosive and the “granite”  on the engine has some spots along with the clear coat on the gas tank is starting to turn a yellowish color. 

The dealer is trying to have MCO cover it but as usual they are saying it is only “Cosmetic”. 

Has anyone run it to this issue before? 

td119

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Front brake line rupture
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »

Picture of the hub

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »

I don't remember anybody else having the issue, but the MOCO needs to man up and replace the damaged painted parts, period.  The only reason they're damaged is due to a crappy part.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »

The folks at H-D have been playing that "cosmetic" game a lot recently, with things like crappy chrome plating and even crappier powder coat on engines.  It's another of their BS tactics to avoid paying for their crappy quality issues.  I suggest you first contact the dealer, not a salesman or service writer or even the service manager, but the actual dealer and get him on your side and ask him to personally intercede with H-D management.  If that isn't working, talk directly to someone in management at H-D.  If all else fails, sit down with an attorney familiar with product warranty and product liability law.  And considering the safety implications of the failure, you might want to notify the NHTSA about the fine quality of the Harley braking system as well. 

If the bike is still covered under the factory warranty, damage caused by the failure of a covered part is also covered.  That was true when I was a service rep for an auto company back in the 1970's, and it was still true when I retired from the same industry 3 years ago.  I have seen no change in the warranty statement Harley gives to customers that says cosmetic damage caused by defective parts isn't covered. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »

Picture of the hub

They should cover that, they made or bought the part in China so they should be held responsible.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

wblythe

• CVO1: 2010 Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »

When I returned my brand new CVO for a warranty job on the one of the front right turn signals (scratches in the finish- yeah- I was being picky), the service manager showed me a "warranty guage card" they use to determine if it is cosmtic or whatever. They do have a scale card with visibility indicators that they are supposed to use to determine warranty or non warranty cosmetic stuff. Ask them to use it and explain why it is not covered. Looking at you picture below, it sure seems to me they should be covering it based on a failed part caused the "cosmetic" damage. Go get them.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.